Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Calculation of Capital Employed from published balance sheets

Analysing companies' finances and value from their financial statements using ratios and formulae
TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Calculation of Capital Employed from published balance sheets

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » May 20th, 2018, 5:31 pm

Hi All,

Our current quest is to determine more about the worthiness of our investments by calculating the ROCE (return of capital employed) for a given company. Our main point of reference is Phil Oakley's book "How to pick quality shares". The concept of ROCE itself seems fairly easy to grasp, as defined as follows:

ROCE = EBIT (i.e. Operating Profit) / Capital Employed

I'm struggling however with how exactly to extract the current figures from the co. statements in order calculate the "Capital Employed" figure. The idea of seems reasonable enough - it's like the total of monetary value of what the firm uses to make stuff. So I understand CE in terms on money down which the firm can put to work. We worked through Phil Oakley's book and he says that CE can be calculated using either the asset side or the equity and liability side of the BS. For the asset side he goes on to say:

CE = total assets - current liabilities + short term borrowings

and a condensed view of the assets part of the Domino Pizzas BS says the following:

Non-current assets: 95.7
Current assets: 89.7
Total assets: 185.4

the current liabilities broken down in more depth:

Trade: [52.9]
Deferred Inc: [4.3]
Financial liabilities: [0.988] *
Deferred contigent consideration: [2.86]
Current tax liab.:[4.15]
Provisions: [6.11]

Current liabilities: [71.3]

Phil then derives the capital employed like this:

So, Domino's total capital employed at the end of 2015 was 185.4m minus 71.3m plus 1m, or 115.1

So we are left guessing that 1m figure was the rounded up value of "Financial liabilities". We puzzled by this (though mainly by Phil not mentioning where 1m figure was hoiked out from!). The other thing which we are troubled by is why Phil uses Total assets (i.e. non-current and current), but for the liabilities only current ones are used (non current ones are elsewhere on the BS).

Can anyone clarity why Phil only uses Current liabilities and why he magics up the 1m?

In another example we managed to dig out Account reports for Marshalls PLC

https://www.marshalls.co.uk/documents/r ... report.pdf
https://www.marshalls.co.uk/documents/r ... esults.pdf

In this case Marshalls had actually calculated their ROCE themselves (and hence the capital employed). However, they had used the "liabilities and equity" side of their BS to do this, which although reasonable, is not something which Mel and I have covered yet! Only attempted the asset and liability side calculation so far....

FWIW, Marshalls publish their "Reported ROCE" as 20.8%, (page 16 of the results.pdf) and state that it is calculated like this:

Reported ROCE is defined as EBITA divided by shareholders funds plus cash / net debt.

(EBITA is given as 54.5m)

So using Marshalls BS (page 74 of the report.pdf) we attempted to derive the Capital Employed figure from the assets and liabities side.

Non-current assets: 249
Current assets: 166
Total assets: 415

and for the liabilities:

Current liabilities: 106.9
Non-current liabilities: 70.9

Total liabilities: 177.8

Initially we tried to calculate ROCE, by just using Total Assets, Current liabilities, (could see no explicit reference to short-term borrowings) and EBITA from the BS.

Our result:
ROCE = (54.5) / (415 - 106.9) x 100% = 17.7%
which seems too low.

So we retried but instead we subtracted Total liabilities this time the answer seems a bit closer to Marshalls:
ROCE = (54.5) / (415 - 177.8) x 100% = 23.0%
which now seems too high - by a similar amount.

Can anyone clarify how we can derive ROCE from the assets side of the BS, and end up with something similar to Marshalls value of 20.8%?

Sorry, appreciate we are asking a lot of questions this time, but really trying to figure this out ourselves from the reports, without "taking for granted" the ready-cooked figures, and hence come up with a figure for any firm using a fairly generic formula.

Many thanks, Matt and Mel

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Re: Calculation of Capital Employed from published balance sheets

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » May 21st, 2018, 5:55 am

I guess a condensed version of the above post would be:

Why, when calculating Capital Employed from the assets side of a balance sheet, are both non-current and current assets used, but in many cases (e.g. Phil Oakley's book) only current liabilities subtracted from the assets?

ADrunkenMarcus
Lemon Quarter

Postby ADrunkenMarcus » May 21st, 2018, 7:01 am

Matt and Mel

I don't have time to post in any detail, but I just use the bare operating profit (unadjusted - many people use adjusted) and then for capital employed just a bare total assets - current liabilities. If memory serves, I got about 31% for Domino's Pizza Group in 2017.

Best wishes

Mark.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » May 21st, 2018, 7:31 am

ADrunkenMarcus wrote:Matt and Mel

I don't have time to post in any detail, but I just use the bare operating profit (unadjusted - many people use adjusted) and then for capital employed just a bare total assets - current liabilities. If memory serves, I got about 31% for Domino's Pizza Group in 2017.

Best wishes

Mark.

Thanks Mark,

We will wait and see if everyone else pipes up any details as why to only current liabilities (i.e. not including non-current liabilities) are used typically in this calc.

M&M

SMarkus

Postby SMarkus » May 21st, 2018, 8:39 am

Morning - I'm sure Phil would be happy to answer your question himself if you want to contact him on Twitter. His Twitter handle is @PhilJOakley - give it a try.

Cheers,
Steve.

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » May 21st, 2018, 8:45 am

SMarkus wrote:Morning - I'm sure Phil would be happy to answer your question himself if you want to contact him on Twitter. His Twitter handle is @PhilJOakley - give it a try.

Cheers,
Steve.

Thanks Steve,

I don't have twitter (or facebook) accounts to be honest. Do you know his email? Otherwise, was he not the guy behind the www.sharescope.co.uk? Perhaps we should join there and see if it's possible to get our question through.

thanks again,
M&M

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 21st, 2018, 9:11 am

Hi Matt & Mel,

I think the important thing to bear in mind is that there are a few different variations about how to calculate ROCE - what to include and what not to include. Personally, I would decide which version works best for you and use that and my approach is the same as that used by Mark i.e. the numerator is the unadjusted operating profit, not EBIT or EBITA or anything else. After all, you only calculate for comparative purposes i.e. the ROCE of similar companies and previous financial years of the same company (to determine if there is a trend).

What I wouldn't do, is rely on a company's own definition of ROCE as they are bound to try and make it look as good as possible! FWIW Stockopedia (data from Thomson Reuters) shows the ROCE for Marshalls as 17.3% and this tallies with how I would calculate it. Basically, the denominator is the same as your calculation but operating profit is £53.4m, so ROCE = 53.4/(415.4 - 106.9) = 17.3%. So your initial calculation was almost the same! Of course, this is based on the numbers at the year end only. What Marshalls may do is use an average of capital employed in the 12 month period between the start and end. I don't know, but if they are going to quote a figure they should really explain how it is calculated more fully.

I hope this helps!
All the best, Si

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 21st, 2018, 9:37 am

OK. I should have read the Marshalls results before replying :-) The ROCE calculation is shown in Note 2 "Alternative Performance Measures". The way they calculate ROCE certainly is alternative, I would not use that method and so I would ignore their own figure which is practically useless for comparisons with other companies. I'll stick with ROCE = 17.3%!

All the best, Si

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » May 21st, 2018, 11:25 am

simoan wrote:OK. I should have read the Marshalls results before replying :-) The ROCE calculation is shown in Note 2 "Alternative Performance Measures". The way they calculate ROCE certainly is alternative, I would not use that method and so I would ignore their own figure which is practically useless for comparisons with other companies. I'll stick with ROCE = 17.3%!

All the best, Si

Thank you very much Si!

Both of your posts were very helpful, and I'm very glad that your result (~17%) tallies with my first. 17.3% still seems quite reasonable, so it seems silly to talk it up. But then again most companies will want to cast themselves in the best light possible.

Anyway, I would still like to get to the bottom of the question posed here
viewtopic.php?p=140236#p140236

Will try to contact Phi Oakley via Sharescope sometime, and probably spend a bit of time on youtube later on - usually the odd relevant tutorial to be found up there.

Matt

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 21st, 2018, 12:31 pm

Hi Matt & Mel,

Sorry I missed your question:

Why, when calculating Capital Employed from the assets side of a balance sheet, are both non-current and current assets used, but in many cases (e.g. Phil Oakley's book) only current liabilities subtracted from the assets?

You have to bear in mind the denominator in the ROCE calculation is the net operating assets of the company which are used to generate the operating profit. This includes current assets and current liabilities which make up the working capital of the company, plus any assets which are used in the day to day running of the business. You do not include the funding of those assets i.e long term debt which would be classed as long term liabilities. This is why only the company's current liabilities are used.

All the best, Si

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » May 21st, 2018, 12:57 pm

simoan wrote:Hi Matt & Mel,

Sorry I missed your question:

You have to bear in mind the denominator in the ROCE calculation is the net operating assets of the company which are used to generate the operating profit. This includes current assets and current liabilities which make up the working capital of the company, plus any assets which are used in the day to day running of the business. You do not include the funding of those assets i.e long term debt which would be classed as long term liabilities. This is why only the company's current liabilities are used.

All the best, Si

Thanks again, Si

Yes, the penny is starting to drop a bit more. I watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb-MBwBaOTo

and it helped me grasp that the non-current liabilities do not effect the capital employed in the same way (as current ones), because they do not need to be cleared in the period when the firm is undertaking production. However all monies for assets purchased both this year and previous years are fundamental in current production. Or something like that!

Matt

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 21st, 2018, 1:13 pm

Melanie wrote:
Yes, the penny is starting to drop a bit more. I watched this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb-MBwBaOTo

and it helped me grasp that the non-current liabilities do not effect the capital employed in the same way (as current ones), because they do not need to be cleared in the period when the firm is undertaking production. However all monies for assets purchased both this year and previous years are fundamental in current production. Or something like that!

Matt

Matt,

Yes, non-current/long-term liabilities are just a historical artefact (though obviously not to be ignored when making an investment decision!!) that do not have any relevance to how efficiently the company is operating its assets during a financial reporting period. This would contain things like bonds the company may have issued in the past, long term bank loans etc. which are not immediately due for repayment. ROCE is not about the funding structure per se and this is why non-current liabilities are excluded from the calculation. What you do need to include in the CE is the working capital, which is (current assets - current liabilities) and add the non-current assets used for operations, so an alternative way of looking at things is:

CE = non-current assets + working capital = non-current assets + current assets - current liabilities = total assets - current liabilities

Being an engineer rather than an accountant I used to struggle with these concepts too, so I bought an "Idiots Guide" to learn more about how company accounts work: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Accounts-Demys ... YP5GPXF96X

Hope the penny finally drops :-)
All the best, Si

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » May 21st, 2018, 8:14 pm

simoan wrote:Hope the penny finally drops :-)
All the best, Si

It did! After watching that youtube link I posted and thinking some more about the scenarios, I can now calculate ROCE, with CE either from the assets or the equity side. I tried this out with the last few Marshalls accounts, and double checked that my CE values matched:

MARSHALLS
==========
Using CE = total_assets - current_liabilities
or CE = total_equity + non_current_liabities
Using ROCE = EBIT / CE

====
CE = 415 - 107
or
CE = 237 + 71
(308 in both cases :)
ROCE = 53.4 / 308 = 17.3%

====
CE = 333 - 87
CE = 217 + 29
(246)
ROCE= 47.6 / 246 = 19.3%

====
CE = 330 - 87
CE = 193 + 50
(243)
ROCE= 37.4 / 243 = 15.3%

====
CE = 316 - 68
CE = 182 + 66
(248)
ROCE = 25.3 / 248 = 10.2%

I believe, that Marshalls ROCE falls slightly from 2016 - 2017 due to their acquisition of CPM. But seeing as me and Mel are shareholders, I'll look at them after the next year, and see if the upward trend continues, provided of course that today's record FTSE 100, isn't the top of a massive bubble... ;)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 22nd, 2018, 8:55 am

It might help if you go back to how a company is born. It is born from an idea e g I think I could make better pizza's than are currently available and make them at lower cost. But that is all it is, an idea. So you need some capital to get you started. Share capital, or owner's capital as one of the videos said, and probably some bank borrowings which may start off simply as a 12 month loan. These make up the liabilities of the Balancer Sheet and on the other side you start off with cash of the same amount. Then you use the cash to get hold of premises, buy stock and so on. You will employ people and eventually make a profit. The liabilities have been used to make that profit. The Capital Employed is on the liability side of the Balance Sheet and the assets the company owns will be on the other side. They could include premises, stock, cash and so on, complicated as time goes by with accruals, money you owe to your suppliers or money owed by your customers to you. You can adjust these figures if you like, but fundamentally the Return on Capital Employed is the liability total of the Balance Sheet divided by the net profit, expressed as a percentage.

My simple mind always goes back to these straightforward principles and applying them, you can interpret any Balance Sheet.

I have not looked in detail at any of the books or videos but on the face of it I do not understand why short term borrowings would be excluded from Capital Employed (if indeed they are) The other point is that ROCE is but one measure when looking at company accounts. If you are going down this route you need to look at borrowings and how high they are relative to the equity (share capital) and for that matter the profile of the debt. Is it all short term overdrafts or is it long term fixed rate borrowings?

All of this may or may not be worthwhile. Generally speaking this sort of thing is in the public domain and I do not try too hard to get involved in it because as will be obvious from my posts I am a fairly relaxed investor. I tend to leave this sort of thing to the likes of Fundsmith and Nick Train.

Dod

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 22nd, 2018, 11:15 am

Dod101 wrote:I have not looked in detail at any of the books or videos but on the face of it I do not understand why short term borrowings would be excluded from Capital Employed (if indeed they are)

Short term borrowing would mainly be used for working capital to smooth out cashflow etc. and so would usually be included in the ROCE calculation as part of current liabilities. Any working capital outflows that increased current liabilities in a reporting period would be fully reflected and would act to reduce the ROCE.

Dod101 wrote:The other point is that ROCE is but one measure when looking at company accounts. If you are going down this route you need to look at borrowings and how high they are relative to the equity (share capital) and for that matter the profile of the debt. Is it all short term overdrafts or is it long term fixed rate borrowings?

Absolutely! However, ROCE tells you a lot about a company and is a useful metric for judging its quality as an investment. In particular, it tells you how efficiently the company is being run and a high average value over a number of years indicates a management that is allocating capital well and a company that has strong pricing power and competitive advantage. Of course, it will also be high for companies that do not need a lot of capital to operate e.g. people businesses like recruiters, so you need to ensure you compare apples with apples!

Dod101 wrote:All of this may or may not be worthwhile. Generally speaking this sort of thing is in the public domain and I do not try too hard to get involved in it because as will be obvious from my posts I am a fairly relaxed investor. I tend to leave this sort of thing to the likes of Fundsmith and Nick Train.
Dod

It absolutely is worthwhile if you want to invest in good companies and avoid poor companies! That's why ROCE is such an important factor in the investment approaches of Terry Smith and Nick Train.

All the best, Si

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 22nd, 2018, 11:49 am

Thanks simoan. I am not an accountant but obviously in business you need to have a grasp of the fundamentals. Are you? I am unconvinced by any great analysis being required although of course I see the value of it. I tend to go for the 'softer' items like culture, long term outlook, long history of good results and so on, then the other issues will look after themselves. They are in any case what a good CEO and the Board should be doing.

I also like to know the shareholdings. Is there a strong family interest? I like low borrowings relative to the size of the company. I do not bother with stuff like interest cover That will be fine in a well run company and I am not here to try to second guess the directors. Without trying to be too clever one could see the recent problems a mile away without any great analysis. The culture in Carillion was all wrong as it was at least as obviously in RBS, HBOS and so on. No analysis required.

That is why I am slightly concerned about the OPs. They are spending a lot of time worrying about the technicalities and may not be able to see the woods for the trees although I would not want to decry their studies. Just that they are not the be all and end all. Far from it. They probably know that already.

Dod

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 22nd, 2018, 12:21 pm

Dod101 wrote:Thanks simoan. I am not an accountant but obviously in business you need to have a grasp of the fundamentals. Are you?

Nope I'm an engineer who has read the book linked to further up this thread. No other accounts experience whatsoever.

Dod101 wrote:I am unconvinced by any great analysis being required although of course I see the value of it. I tend to go for the 'softer' items like culture, long term outlook, long history of good results and so on, then the other issues will look after themselves. They are in any case what a good CEO and the Board should be doing.

Of course, all of these soft factors are important too. Quality of management and culture are serious factors in my own investment approach but ultimately the quality of the underlying business matters a lot too, and that's where ROCE and operating margins come in. Wasn't it Buffet who said he wants to invest in companies that could be run by an idiot because eventually they will be (or something to that effect)? :-) I hardly ever invest in companies with average operating margin < 5%. This rule alone keeps me out of a whole load of dross, including distributors, construction contractors etc. I don't want to invest in busy fools!!

Dod101 wrote:That is why I am slightly concerned about the OPs. They are spending a lot of time worrying about the technicalities and may not be able to see the woods for the trees although I would not want to decry their studies. Just that they are not the be all and end all. Far from it. They probably know that already. Dod

I believe they were only asking as they had recently read the Phil Oakley book about Quality Investing and were confused by his ROCE calculation. I read it too a while back and would highly recommend it to anyone interested in avoiding poor quality companies without having to do too much work. Ultimately, everyone should be doing that, but it's human nature to be attracted to rubbish that looks cheap ;-)

All the best, Si

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 22nd, 2018, 12:33 pm

Being an engineer will steer you towards the 'harder' issues no doubt. I have avoided any real disasters, the banks, Carillion and the like simply by looking at the 'softer' issues. I think of investing as much more art than science, but each to his own. I do not try to analyse Balance Sheets.

Dod

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 22nd, 2018, 12:56 pm

Dod101 wrote:I think of investing as much more art than science, but each to his own. I do not try to analyse Balance Sheets.
Dod

I don't often analyse balance sheets either and prefer to use a reliable data source to extract the numbers that I need. It's always worth cross checking with the company accounts though if something doesn't look right. Everybody will have their own approach. For instance, I rarely look at P/E or dividend yield when deciding on the investment merits of a company, and prefer to use metrics that are less open to manipulation by creative accounting e.g. EV/EBIT and P/FCF for starters. If P/E is similar to P/FCF then that is a very good sign. EPS can be manipulated but it is much harder to fake FCF PS.

All the best, Si

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » May 22nd, 2018, 1:00 pm

Dod101 wrote:That is why I am slightly concerned about the OPs. They are spending a lot of time worrying about the technicalities and may not be able to see the woods for the trees although I would not want to decry their studies. Just that they are not the be all and end all. Far from it. They probably know that already.

Hi Dod,

Mel and I are very new to investing (this March was the first time we bought any individual stocks). We aren't worried, in so far as we aren't spending any money on stocks or bonds that we can't afford to lose. That is, we have no debts, and we have surplus savings, and have 1 and half jobs between the two of us.

However we are not incredibly rich, and want to be pretty careful with what we try to do investment wise. So before buying any stocks we bought a couple of books (one being Phil's which I'd recommend, despite the fact that he skimps full explanation on balance sheets, I guess assuming the reader to be free and able to go off and discover more else where.) To be honest with you, we've since bought 12 different stocks, and probably/hopefully been alright so far (but then again the market is incredibly buoyant). Several of stocks we actually bought without really going to town on depth analysis; other looking at 5 years or so of profit/turnover/dividend performance, and generally googling for any warning signs and so on.

But in future I'd like Mel and I to be somewhat less gung-ho than we were some weeks back. Learning about ROCE, and FCF and debt etc. etc. is what we are doing now, and so far a reasonable selection of our first stocks (e.g. Marshalls, Dominos, Computacenter, AdvancedMedicalSolutions analysed in the last couple of days) our ROCE analysis vindicates our choices.

As Si mentions earlier the ROCE figure, although like any figure is open to certain amount of interpretation, and of course can be distorted etc. is generally a good measure of "for what this firm has in terms of £ and machines and resources, how much is that at making any profit?". I do however, agree with you with looking at culture, long term outlook etc. But we all know that appearances can be very deceptive, I'd rather back future decisions based on figures as well as "feel good factor".

(One thing we are yet to study/analyse in our books is how to judge a share's value. Again, I'm sure a lot of this type of research in mildly contentious, but having said that, Mel and I weren't that lucky in our purchases being very near to the market's peak, one or two stocks are still struggling to break even against our original buy price!).

but thanks again for all your posts, and advice that you have given us,
Matt (and Mel!)

Return to “Company Analysis”