Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

3i Group

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
eyeball08
Lemon Pip

3i Group

Postby eyeball08 » December 13th, 2018, 10:43 am

This is an investment company with 2 divisions: private equity and infrastructure. It is not a member of the AIC. I glanced at a newspaper listing of investment companies and it is recently at a 12 month low with a yield of around 4.8% and premium of 1.6%. Is it ever discussed around these parts? Is there a sensible reason for it not being discussed, such as not available for ordinary folk. Search device top right of this screen didn't find anything...

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: 3i Group

Postby tjh290633 » December 13th, 2018, 11:19 am

You've started the ball rolling. We can see it's attraction, so why not go for it. That sort of yield and a premium don't often go together.

TJH

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 13th, 2018, 11:51 am

eyeball08 wrote:This is an investment company with 2 divisions: private equity and infrastructure. It is not a member of the AIC. I glanced at a newspaper listing of investment companies and it is recently at a 12 month low with a yield of around 4.8% and premium of 1.6%. Is it ever discussed around these parts? Is there a sensible reason for it not being discussed, such as not available for ordinary folk. Search device top right of this screen didn't find anything...

By funny coincidence I was looking at 3i, Princess and other Private Equity companies this morning. I think it was via an article in Monevator.

The Interactive Investor has it down with a yield of 3.7% and a NAV premium of 23%.

https://www.ii.co.uk/investment-trusts/3i-ord/LSE:III

Enormous Market Cap compared to the others in the list.

Steve

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » December 13th, 2018, 12:18 pm

3i invests in smaller firms and develops them.

i hold these for the yield and valuation.

i dont know if its an investment trust or investment company .

plenty of director buying this year .

no negatives i am aware of.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 13th, 2018, 1:17 pm

jackdaww wrote:i dont know if its an investment trust or investment company .

It's an investment company, not a trust.

All the best, Si

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Postby Raptor » December 13th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Moderator Message:
3i is a company not an Investment Trust. Moving from IT to Shares. Raptor.

eyeball08
Lemon Pip

Postby eyeball08 » December 13th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Having posted the 1st in this chain I couldn't find any evidence of it when I, seconds ago was looking to see if it had attracted any replies on the IT and UT board. Define the difference between an investment company and investment trust please. Are you sure some of the IT's don't call themselves Investment companies in their own literature. Is the only reason this company is not on the AIC lists because they don't want to pay fees to the AIC?
(Association of Investment Companies).
Not trying to catch the moderator out here, genuinely don't know the answers....
If anyone else is similarly momentarily baffled that their new post cannot be found anywhere on the lemon, if it has any replies but has been moved, click on "notifications" up a bit and to the right with a bell symbol.

bonrepos
Lemon Pip

Postby bonrepos » December 13th, 2018, 4:58 pm

3i is to be found on the AIC Site under Private Equity section.

The site shows a premium for 3i of 25.2 and a yield of 4.6%

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » December 13th, 2018, 6:36 pm

eyeball08 wrote:Having posted the 1st in this chain I couldn't find any evidence of it when I, seconds ago was looking to see if it had attracted any replies on the IT and UT board. Define the difference between an investment company and investment trust please. Are you sure some of the IT's don't call themselves Investment companies in their own literature. Is the only reason this company is not on the AIC lists because they don't want to pay fees to the AIC?
(Association of Investment Companies).
Not trying to catch the moderator out here, genuinely don't know the answers....
If anyone else is similarly momentarily baffled that their new post cannot be found anywhere on the lemon, if it has any replies but has been moved, click on "notifications" up a bit and to the right with a bell symbol.

Raptor simply forgot to leave the standard reminder on the IT board. No big deal and I don't think we'll lose any sleep over it. The Mods do all this as volunteers and they deserve our thanks for being able to continue the ethos from TMF.

I looked up 3i on both the FT and Interactive Investor site and it was called an 'Investment Trust'. As you say, I have no idea what the difference is, though I vaguely remember reading that an IT can't sell more shares whereas I guess a normal company can. It has an enormous Market Cap and surprising dividend, given the huge premium to NAV.

I would be interested in any ideas of 3i vs Princess Equity Trust (PEY). The latter has quite an amazing dividend and good diversification.

Steve

eyeball08
Lemon Pip

Postby eyeball08 » December 13th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Thanks very much for that info Steve. I admit to feeling a little grouchy when it disappeared. I'll certainly look at PEY versus III myself but cannot offer any insight myself at the moment!
eyeball

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”