Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Burford Capital Limited (BUR)

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
Howard
Lemon Quarter

Re: Burford Capital Limited (BUR)

Postby Howard » November 8th, 2019, 11:37 am

TheMotorcycleBoy wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Maybe a bit like the tobaccos, Burford was subject to irrational exuberance and to that extent MuddyWaters has done everyone a good turn. The current PE ratio according to AJ Bell is only about 6 with a very modest yield. I really do not know a lot about them having never followed them but these do not look very inspiring do they?

I will leave them to others I think.

Dod

The lesson I have hopefully learnt is not to invest into firms whose businesses I don't really understand too well.

I've invested for around 40 years and never understood the businesses I've invested in, nor their accounts!

Anyone who tells me that they understand the accounts and the businesses of Glaxo, AstraZeneca, BP, IG etc is either a genius or somewhat mistaken. :lol:

Over the last few years I have a big investment in Fundsmith and even Terry sometimes gets it wrong! And Warren with his investment in Tesco.

So the moral may be to have a flutter in something fashionable but opaque like Burford but to have a well-diversified portfolio.

Regards

Howard

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » January 7th, 2020, 9:05 am

Merely for the record, shorters will have seen Burford's latest this morning:

UPDATE ON MANAGEMENT, CORPORATE GOVERNANCE AND RELATED MATTERS
https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail/BUR/14373368.html

Related matters includes "Burford will be seeking a full-fledged US listing of its ordinary shares as opposed to an American Depository Receipt ("ADR") structure; once effective, Burford's ordinary shares would trade on both the US exchange and LSE AIM. Burford does not intend to issue new equity as part of the US listing" and "Burford presently intends to release its full year results for the year ended 31 December 2019 on Tuesday 24 March 2020".

+13.67% ( +93.50) at 777.50.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » January 7th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Good news for BUR holders - https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-burfo ... KKBN1Z60NB

At the time Muddy Waters produced their shorting justification I thought the shares themselves were too risky, but I did buy the 2022 loan notes, which have proved a very good investment - up 26% since I bought them last August and yielding over 8% as well, though they're now trading at slightly over par.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Postby Alaric » January 7th, 2020, 9:16 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:I thought the shares themselves were too risky, but I did buy the 2022 loan notes, which have proved a very good investment - up 26% since I bought them last August and yielding over 8% as well, though they're now trading at slightly over par.

The market evidently believes that current and future litigation will be successful enough to repay the borrowings that financed it. or else that Burford's credit rating will be sufficient to enable them to roll over the debt in a couple of years time. One thing in Burford's favour is that whilst its accounting may require careful interpretation in that it is reporting profits prior to getting the settlements through the door, they don't compound the problem by paying dividends with cash they hope to receive.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 12th, 2020, 2:31 pm

BUR Update On Coronavirus Impact Released 13:51 12-Mar-2020
RNS Number : 9612F
Burford Capital Limited
12 March 2020
BURFORD CAPITAL PROVIDES UPDATE ON CORONAVIRUS IMPACT

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/news/market-news/market-news-detail/BUR/14458888.html

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”