Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

LTBH buying opportunity

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
wanderer101

LTBH buying opportunity

Postby wanderer101 » March 21st, 2020, 8:54 am

Greetings all

If the world is not coming to an end - and I don't think it is - then the market is offering long-term-buy-and-holders a historic buying opportunity, with multiyear lows in many major names, and multi-decade lows in the case of the oil majors.

Things could of course get worse in the next month or three, but I take the view that once the virus threat is contained (even if that takes a year or more) share prices are likely to be significantly higher in three or five years time.

I've been running a large cap LTBH portfolio for many years. I've largely been driven by a yield- and value-based approach (although it's never been a strict HYP), which has brought good returns for some holdings, although some others have tended to drift. I'm taking this opportunity to add some companies with stronger growth histories available at unusually low prices and would welcome suggestions.

In the last two weeks, I have picked up new holdings in Diageo (DGE), Halma (HLMA), Relx (REL), AVEVA (AVV), Smith & Nephew (SN.).

I'm making funds available and planning to top all of these up in the next few weeks, along with existing holdings in Unilever (ULVR), Legal & General (LGEN), Schroders (SDRC).

I also find BP and Shell irresistible at these prices, whatever is going to happen to the price of oil in the short term.

Possible but less likely recipients of more money are RSA Insurance (RSA), Barclays (BARC) and DS Smith (SMDS), (I recognise I'm somewhat overweight in financials generally).

The rest of this portfolio is, in order of holding size: BHP, AstraZeneca, HSBC, GlaxoSmithKline, IG Group, Vodafone, Aviva, WPP.

What else are Fools considering at the moment?

Essentially I'm looking for:
i) Minimum £1 billion market cap
ii) Sustained share price growth over at least 3 and preferably 5 years
iii) Ideally sources a significant share of profits outside the UK
iv) No tobaccos (personal decision - am fine with guns as well as oil and booze)

I've considered Croda (CRDA) and Smiths Industries (SMIN), but while they have shown strong long-term growth they've both drifted in the last two years (even before the current carnage). I also like the look of Games Workshop (GAW), despite its UK focus, but would like to see it drop to 2000p first.

Welcoming all thoughts, including on the plan above (any of those top-ups to be avoided?). I'm particularly interested in the upper reaches of the FTSE250, which I don't know enough about.

thanks wand

flyer61
Lemon Slice

Re: LTBH buying opportunity

Postby flyer61 » March 21st, 2020, 10:05 am

All of these I believe are high quality businesses. I am casting my eye over them with a view to some selective purchases.
Hopefully might give some ideas. Obviously quite a few are non UK listed businesses.

FOX Corp - A
Match Group Inc
Twitter Inc
Facebook Inc Already owned
Alphabet Inc - A Already owned
Take-Two interactive
New York Times - A
Levi Strauss - A
Marriott Intl - A
Yumi Brands
Adidas AG Already owned
Starbucks Corp
Lowes Cos Inc
Hilton Worldwide
Lululemon Ath
Ferrari NV
LVMH Moet Henne
Amazon Com
TJX Cos Inc
Domino Pizza
Diageo PLC Already owned
Uniiever PLC Already owned
Estee Lauder Already owned
L'Oreal Already owned
Berkshire Hath - A
Glaxosmithkline Already owned
Straumann Hldg - R
Intuitive Surgical
Veeva Systems
Safran SA
Northrop Grumman
Experian PLC
NVIDIA Corp
Intuit Inc
Autodesk Inc
Texas Instruments
Adyen NV
Mastercard Inc Already owned
Seagate Technology

TheMotorcycleBoy
Lemon Quarter

Postby TheMotorcycleBoy » March 22nd, 2020, 4:46 pm

wanderer101 wrote:I also like the look of Games Workshop (GAW), despite its UK focus, but would like to see it drop to 2000p first.

I hold these I bought once at £28.50, then £29.50 then at about £63.00

They are definitely no longer a UK focussed firm:

https://www.facebook.com/GWNArecruiting ... 929076543/

Their geeky appeal is growing worldwide!

I'd be surprised to see them less than £30 but in these crazy times, who knows!

Matt

gbjbaanb
Lemon Slice

Postby gbjbaanb » March 22nd, 2020, 5:40 pm

not sure of BP, but Shell announced it was slowly moving to be less reliant on oil in time, so I assume things like offshore wind farms and whatnot. Doesn't stop them being a big oil player, but they are a lot more than that. so I woulnd't have a problem holding them, BP sounds like its stuck doing its thing, which will not be good eventually.

I would not look at any individual share these days though (he says, having bought more Shell) but investment trusts for the yield. I can't be fussed trying to play "which share will do a bit better than the rest" so its ITs for me, mostly, now. I think unless you are lucky and find some one that does very well, then the returns are going to be much of a muchness - when the virus is over and the indexes rise, they'll all rise. You could buy anything and it'll go up.

Incidentally, Shares ag said that the best secotr to own after a crash was commodities - rising 68% on average in the 65 months after after each crash. no doubt due to government intervention and infrastructure spending.

though I think a trust such as Worldwide Healthcare or International Biotech might be very popular in the coming years, like renewable energy ones have been recently.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”