Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

McCarthy & Stone (MCS)

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
Asagi

McCarthy & Stone (MCS)

Postby Asagi » August 24th, 2020, 3:03 pm

any thoughts on retirement McCarthy and Stone (MCS) the UK's leading developer and manager of retirement communities?

Market cap: £375m
Bid:offer 70.4p:70.7p
P/E (14 months ending October 2019) 9.1
P/E (y/e Oct 2020): £65m loss forecast
P/E (2021): 239 (slim profit forecast)
P/TBV: 0.54
52 week low:high 36.5p:160.2p

It has done well previously and I have always regarded it as a strong play on the UK's ageing population and of course the housing market.

The shares have fallen hard with COVID and have only recovered slightly. From HY to end-April, published July 15th:

Currently only one confirmed case on our developments
Monthly cash burn reduced from c.£10m to c.£7m during the lockdown period

Outlook:
Early activities demonstrate that sales leads and gross reservation rates are increasing in line with this gradual ramp up plan

https://otp.tools.investis.com/clients/ ... id=1402302

I guess I worry that COVID concerns will see sales delayed as people put off moving, due to the risk of moving into a home and becoming infected. Nevertheless, the value is clear. Do you have anything to add on this one?

Regards,

Asagi (no position)

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Re: McCarthy & Stone (MCS)

Postby scrumpyjack » August 24th, 2020, 5:54 pm

Don't know that much about them but there had been quite a lot of publicity about them selling unfair leases etc and people finding the resale values of their homes was far far lower than had been paid for them.

I think they have moved into a rental business model option, which may be a good idea.

There was a widely publicised incident a couple of years ago where an irate subcontractor took a bulldozer and drove through 4 or 5 of their new homes. From the media photos it appeared they were built very flimsily! But perhaps all new homes are like that now?

I'll stick with Barrett and Persimmon

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 24th, 2020, 6:14 pm

scrumpyjack wrote:Don't know that much about them but there had been quite a lot of publicity about them selling unfair leases etc and people finding the resale values of their homes was far far lower than had been paid for them.

I think they have moved into a rental business model option, which may be a good idea.

There was a widely publicised incident a couple of years ago where an irate subcontractor took a bulldozer and drove through 4 or 5 of their new homes. From the media photos it appeared they were built very flimsily! But perhaps all new homes are like that now?

I'll stick with Barrett and Persimmon

I haven't looked at them, and may add them to the "to do" list.

What's the issue with unfair leases? I can imagine retirement properties having different leases to other types of properties due to the provision of communal areas/facilities you wouldn't expect in a normal block of flats for instance.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » August 24th, 2020, 6:50 pm

dealtn wrote:
What's the issue with unfair leases? I can imagine retirement properties having different leases to other types of properties due to the provision of communal areas/facilities you wouldn't expect in a normal block of flats for instance.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/ ... rthy-stone

I think they also had a spot on Radio 4's 'You and Yours' about similar issues. Doesn't necessarily make them a bad investment of course.

RC

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 24th, 2020, 7:20 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:
dealtn wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/ ... rthy-stone

I think they also had a spot on Radio 4's 'You and Yours' about similar issues. Doesn't necessarily make them a bad investment of course.

RC

Thank you. It seems, if this is representative, that it is the level of service charges, not the lease itself. I recognise that services provided would be higher than in other types of flats. I wonder how different this companies offering is to other similar operators.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”