Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Moneysupermarket.com Group (MONY)

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
idpickering
The full Lemon

Moneysupermarket.com Group (MONY)

Postby idpickering » December 10th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Greetings all.

This is a new board where investors can discuss the merits, or otherwise, of investing in Moneysupermarket.com
I've been toying with adding these to my HYP, and if I do, it'll be a new holding and sector for me.
Has anyone hereabouts invested in this outfit? If so, please share your thoughts with us here.

Ian

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: Moneysupermarket.com Group (MONY)

Postby jackdaww » December 10th, 2020, 4:21 pm

held these about 5 years , at an average buying price of 280 .

currently in the red , most of the time they were well in profit .

they seem to be still paying divis , and in the past have paid specials also .

prospects - no idea ..

:)

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 10th, 2020, 4:55 pm

jackdaww wrote:held these about 5 years , at an average buying price of 280 .

currently in the red , most of the time they were well in profit .

they seem to be still paying divis , and in the past have paid specials also .

prospects - no idea ..

:)

Thanks very much for your input.

That's exactly the type of info I was looking for. I may, or may not, buy into them. We'll see.

Ian.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » December 10th, 2020, 9:38 pm

Ian, I've been in Moneysupermarket for many years, more than doubled my money, bought 10 years ago at 75p and over time topped up at £2 and £3.60 and this month at £2.50 for my HYP at 4.7% yield, about as good as it's been in that time. I think I remember pyad offered them as a value pick which may have been my initial pointer.
A great income pick for me, I started with about 4p a year, this year 11p and over that time 30p in spesh too. Capital up from 75p to to £2.50 and I sold some at £3.50 in 2017 taking out my initial invest and some profits too.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 11th, 2020, 6:30 am

kempiejon wrote:Ian, I've been in Moneysupermarket for many years, more than doubled my money, bought 10 years ago at 75p and over time topped up at £2 and £3.60 and this month at £2.50 for my HYP at 4.7% yield, about as good as it's been in that time. I think I remember pyad offered them as a value pick which may have been my initial pointer.
A great income pick for me, I started with about 4p a year, this year 11p and over that time 30p in spesh too. Capital up from 75p to to £2.50 and I sold some at £3.50 in 2017 taking out my initial invest and some profits too.

Thanks very much for your input kempiejon. I see they're around 250p currently, with that yield you mention. I may well buy into this outfit soon.

Cheers,

Ian.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 11th, 2020, 10:23 am

idpickering wrote:
Has anyone hereabouts invested in this outfit? If so, please share your thoughts with us here.

Probably better on Share ideas, but good to have a Board set up here for Company News over time anyway.

I have never held, or analysed closely, but it has the attributes of large ROCE and strong cash flow I would look for. Encouragingly the price (and P/E) have fallen significantly from highs so is more attractive, arguably, than in the past from a value perspective.

Concerns would be whether the drop off in revenues recently is part of a larger trend of its moat being eroded, or is it a temporary reflection of reduced demand for its products in these unusual times. With fewer loans and financial products being taken out enquiries and commissions have suffered a little, as will also be the case with travel insurance. Interestingly the shares haven't benefitted from the recent Covid bounce that other companies have. Not obvious why.

Here is the latest market Trading Update from October 22nd.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/moneysupe ... 00058426C/

I suspect the next scheduled release will be in January.

Relatively low P/E and P/FCF compared to ROCE make this interesting, so thank you. One for the watchlist, and to queue for more in-depth investigation for me.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 11th, 2020, 10:31 am

dealtn wrote:
idpickering wrote:

Probably better on Share ideas, but good to have a Board set up here for Company News over time anyway.

I have never held, or analysed closely, but it has the attributes of large ROCE and strong cash flow I would look for. Encouragingly the price (and P/E) have fallen significantly from highs so is more attractive, arguably, than in the past from a value perspective.

Concerns would be whether the drop off in revenues recently is part of a larger trend of its moat being eroded, or is it a temporary reflection of reduced demand for its products in these unusual times. With fewer loans and financial products being taken out enquiries and commissions have suffered a little, as will also be the case with travel insurance. Interestingly the shares haven't benefitted from the recent Covid bounce that other companies have. Not obvious why.

Here is the latest market Trading Update from October 22nd.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/moneysupe ... 00058426C/

I suspect the next scheduled release will be in January.

Relatively low P/E and P/FCF compared to ROCE make this interesting, so thank you. One for the watchlist, and to queue for more in-depth investigation for me.

Thanks for your input, and thoughts on MONY. I look forward to reading your future contribution here.

Ian.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » December 11th, 2020, 11:56 am

idpickering wrote:Has anyone hereabouts invested in this outfit? If so, please share your thoughts with us here.

Hi Ian
I've had a modest holding since Jan 2014, when I bought at £1.73
It's been a bit variable over that period but was as high as about £4.18 in mid 2019 and I rather wish I'd sold it then as I was thinking of doing - it's not in an ISA and I could have used my CGT allowance.
I'm up on capital by about 45% but have been well over 100% when it was at its height. However the dividends have been steady if not spectacular and I've had about 55% of my purchase price back from them. In fact my total return is almost exactly the purchase price.

They've been having a hard time since Covid appeared, and though they recovered well initialy it's been downhill since June.
Overall it's been a decent performer that's currently subdued, but it's probably time I reassessed them as I should really either buy in order to switch into an ISA, or hang on for a recovery and then sell to tidy up my taxable holdings and minnows.

cheers
Spiderbill

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » December 11th, 2020, 12:00 pm

spiderbill wrote:
idpickering wrote:Has anyone hereabouts invested in this outfit? If so, please share your thoughts with us here.

Hi Ian
I've had a modest holding since Jan 2014, when I bought at £1.73
It's been a bit variable over that period but was as high as about £4.18 in mid 2019 and I rather wish I'd sold it then as I was thinking of doing - it's not in an ISA and I could have used my CGT allowance.
I'm up on capital by about 45% but have been well over 100% when it was at its height. However the dividends have been steady if not spectacular and I've had about 55% of my purchase price back from them. In fact my total return is almost exactly the purchase price.

They've been having a hard time since Covid appeared, and though they recovered well initialy it's been downhill since June.
Overall it's been a decent performer that's currently subdued, but it's probably time I reassessed them as I should really either buy in order to switch into an ISA, or hang on for a recovery and then sell to tidy up my taxable holdings and minnows.

cheers
Spiderbill

Thanks very much for your most interesting input. I might be a MONY shareholder on 22 December 20. I will mull it over some more.

Ian.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”