Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Greencoat UK Wind

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
richfool
Lemon Quarter

Greencoat UK Wind

Postby richfool » October 17th, 2023, 3:19 pm

Moderator Message:
Moved from Company News because it isn't, er, company news. Please try to make an attempt to post on the correct board. Thanks. - Chris

I've just been pondering whether to add UKW to my IT holdings. It's at a significant discount -20.5% and yields c 5.84%. Current SP: 132p

I do already hold: BSIF, JLEN, NESF and GRID, (all well in the red), so no outright wind holdings.

The dividend looks safe, but the capital value looks shaky, or should I say the prospect for capital appreciation!

Any latest thoughts?

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Greencoat UK Wind (UKW)

Postby BullDog » October 17th, 2023, 3:33 pm

richfool wrote:I've just been pondering whether to add UKW to my IT holdings. It's at a significant discount -20.5% and yields c 5.84%.

I do already hold: BSIF, JLEN, NESF and GRID, (all well in the red), so no outright wind holdings.

The dividend looks safe, but the capital value looks shaky. Any latest thoughts? Current SP: 132p

There's going to be no good news until the market knows for sure that interest rates have peaked and that returns on cash are falling back to be followed by a rate reduction. That's my opinion, for what little it's worth.

I have looked to see why the prices of non-hydrocarbon derived energy companies are falling. Particularly when there's the biggest war in Europe since 1945 involving the world's 2nd largest hydrocarbon exporter. And now there's a major conflict in the Middle East to worry about.

Sounds like renewable energy companies should be worth more than they were two weeks ago? But they're not.

idpickering
The full Lemon

Postby idpickering » October 17th, 2023, 3:58 pm

BullDog wrote:
richfool wrote:I've just been pondering whether to add UKW to my IT holdings. It's at a significant discount -20.5% and yields c 5.84%.

The dividend looks safe, but the capital value looks shaky. Any latest thoughts? Current SP: 132p

There's going to be no good news until the market knows for sure that interest rates have peaked and that returns on cash are falling back to be followed by a rate reduction. That's my opinion, for what little it's worth.

I have looked to see why the prices of non-hydrocarbon derived energy companies are falling. Particularly when there's the biggest war in Europe since 1945 involving the world's 2nd largest hydrocarbon exporter. And now there's a major conflict in the Middle East to worry about.

Sounds like renewable energy companies should be worth more than they were two weeks ago? But they're not.

I hold UKW, and am fairly relaxed about the current share price weakness. I'm going to hold them for the long term, so short term sp wobbles don't mean that much to me to be honest. In the overall renewables sector I also hold BSIF, FSFL, NESF and TRIG. I should add that I topped up my UKW holdings not long ago, taking advantage of the lower UKW share price.

Ian.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Postby spiderbill » October 19th, 2023, 11:51 am

idpickering wrote:I hold UKW, and am fairly relaxed about the current share price weakness. I'm going to hold them for the long term, so short term sp wobbles don't mean that much to me to be honest. In the overall renewables sector I also hold BSIF, FSFL, NESF and TRIG. I should add that I topped up my UKW holdings not long ago, taking advantage of the lower UKW share price.

Ian.

Like Ian, I hold UKW, and while somewhat puzzled at its recent drop from around 150p, I'm fairly sanguine about it and would consider buying more the next time my ISA dividends roll up to a worthwhile amount. It's back around the price I bought most of them at so no harm done and maybe a decent opportunity. It's currently about 3.6% of my shares portfolio so room for a few more.

Also like Ian and richfool, I bought some NESF in April and am rather more perplexed to find I'm 27% underwater. The market can indeed be a fickle and illogical place.

cheers
Spiderbill

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Greencoat UK Wind

Postby Gerry557 » October 19th, 2023, 10:25 pm

I think there are a few headwinds for UKW at the moment hence the SP reaction. Hopefully the worst is over and things should start to improve in time.

Assuming that's correct then the SP might start to climb again. Although for me it's more about a growing dividend which has happened.

So I took it as a temporary dip and did add more myself earlier in the month. The discount and yield sweeten the deal somewhat.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”