Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

AIM Shares - Sources of Information

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
dspp
Lemon Half

Re: AIM Shares - Sources of Information

Postby dspp » April 23rd, 2017, 2:44 pm

Another place to keep an eye on the tiddlers is right here : viewforum.php?f=33 especially Mr C's daily update that deserves a merit award.

steveal

Postby steveal » April 25th, 2017, 12:02 am

How big a problem is liquidity when buying the AIM shares mentioned by various posters?
For example, is it possible to easily buy £5,000 of most shares? £10,000?
Do people make multiple small purchases, or jump in with a large order?

Ivyrobert

Postby Ivyrobert » April 25th, 2017, 9:32 am

I have accumulated 20ish AIM shares over the last few years and they add to your investing journey, sometimes like a trip to a seaside funfair!
You can experience problems trading £10k plus amounts but the biggest hurdle for you to overcome is on the spread between buy and sell.
Paulypilot, Tom Winnifrith(!?!) and our Mr C provide vital comment to assist in DYOR. Sharesoc and Carmensfella were my route into the sector and, like the HYP side, they have provided a few pleasant experiences and some disasters- just to remind you that life isn't fair.
The slow reaction of the FCA to crooked operators, Relying on NOMADS is not good enough, but there are some very good companies providing good dividend records, so I continue the journey.

mlc2010

Postby mlc2010 » April 25th, 2017, 5:46 pm

Ivyrobert wrote:I have accumulated 20ish AIM shares over the last few years and they add to your investing journey, sometimes like a trip to a seaside funfair!
You can experience problems trading £10k plus amounts but the biggest hurdle for you to overcome is on the spread between buy and sell.
Paulypilot, Tom Winnifrith(!?!) and our Mr C provide vital comment to assist in DYOR. Sharesoc and Carmensfella were my route into the sector and, like the HYP side, they have provided a few pleasant experiences and some disasters- just to remind you that life isn't fair.
The slow reaction of the FCA to crooked operators, Relying on NOMADS is not good enough, but there are some very good companies providing good dividend records, so I continue the journey.

so let's say I bought £5k of an AIM share, and it 10 bagged, not impossible, but anyway... £50k worth, how easy would it be to sell that or would it need to be done in tranches?

Ivyrobert

Postby Ivyrobert » April 26th, 2017, 5:49 pm

I do not have any experience in selling £50ks worth of shares, but I would think that dripping the sale in small amounts would give you the best price.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » April 26th, 2017, 7:36 pm

mlc2010 wrote:
so let's say I bought £5k of an AIM share, and it 10 bagged, not impossible, but anyway... £50k worth, how easy would it be to sell that or would it need to be done in tranches?

Well it would be a nice problem to have, but likely in practice not a problem from a liquidity perspective, unless it was an absolute tiddler to start with. Consider a share such as ASOS which has multi-bagged, or Boohoo which has also, but not 10 bagged (yet?). By the time these companies have grown in such fashion (pun intended) they have become large, well known, liquid tradeable shares.

You may find, for other reasons, assuming you have held all the way through that journey, that you might not want to fully liquidate in one go though. Capital gains tax, for instance, depending how you hold them, and your personal circumstances.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » April 26th, 2017, 7:53 pm

mlc2010 wrote:£50k worth, how easy would it be to sell that or would it need to be done in tranches?

It's bound to depend on the size of the company. Generally speaking, the bigger the company the more liquid the share capital and the easier it will be to sell.

So if you're trading in a company like Boohoo.com or Sirius Minerals (though they're shortly to join the main market) there would be no problem shifting £50k's worth of shares as they are pretty much like a company with a full listing and £50k would not be a large transaction. Just today, for example, there were well over £30m of shares in Boohoo.com traded.

But there are some tiny companies on AIM, such as Connemara Mining, which has a total market cap of just over £1m, or Nyota Minerals, at just £600k! I suspect you'd have considerable difficulty shifting £50k's worth of shares in companies like this, as you could probably count the number of potential buyers on one hand, so that it would be more like a matched bargain sale.

mlc2010

Postby mlc2010 » April 26th, 2017, 8:27 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:
mlc2010 wrote:£50k worth, how easy would it be to sell that or would it need to be done in tranches?

It's bound to depend on the size of the company. Generally speaking, the bigger the company the more liquid the share capital and the easier it will be to sell.

So if you're trading in a company like Boohoo.com or Sirius Minerals (though they're shortly to join the main market) there would be no problem shifting £50k's worth of shares as they are pretty much like a company with a full listing and £50k would not be a large transaction. Just today, for example, there were well over £30m of shares in Boohoo.com traded.

But there are some tiny companies on AIM, such as Connemara Mining, which has a total market cap of just over £1m, or Nyota Minerals, at just £600k! I suspect you'd have considerable difficulty shifting £50k's worth of shares in companies like this, as you could probably count the number of potential buyers on one hand, so that it would be more like a matched bargain sale.

great post, thank you

aren't the tiddlers most likely to 10 bag? I mean I know ASOS has many times over, and boohoo has performed well, perhaps boohoo may 10 bag in next 10 years or so, we don't know

but shares I hold like some miners, and gas companies, they have bagged over a period of time, funnily enough, never sold out yet so havent had experience of selling baggers, perhaps I should bank some gains now

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » April 28th, 2017, 6:55 pm

Todays Investors Chronicle has the lowdown on the top 50 AIM shares, following on from last weeks coverage of the lower 50. Definitely worth a read.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 5th, 2018, 2:33 pm

I'm replying to this topic in order to bump it, having found it again (and wondering why it isn't on Share Ideas).

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » August 6th, 2019, 8:43 pm

When I started trading shares about 20 years ago I was attracted to a lot of AIM shares to my cost so never really gone back to one.

However having read a bit in IC about Jarvis Securities and having used them to buy certificated shares in the past I have become interested again in JIM if nothing else on AIM.

"Jarvis Securities plc is a United Kingdom-based holding company. The Company is engaged in the provision of stock broking services and all revenue is derived in the United Kingdom. It provides retail execution-only stockbroking, Individual Savings Account (ISA) and Self Invested Personal Pension (SIPP) investment wrappers, savings schemes, and financial administration, settlement and custody services in all these areas to other stockbrokers and investment firms, as well as individuals. It offers Dial-n-Deal - for clients wanting to open an account over the telephone and sell shares in certificated form. Its sellmysharecertificates.com is a share sale postal service. It also offers outsourced services to investment professionals and other financial intermediaries. Its subsidiary, Jarvis Investment Management Ltd, is an outsourced investment administration and Model B settlement services provider."

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 6th, 2019, 9:30 pm

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”