Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Walker Greenbank plc (WGB)

Discuss Stock buying Shares, tips and ideas for stock market dealing
Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Walker Greenbank plc (WGB)

Postby Pipsmum » November 19th, 2017, 5:19 pm

This seems like a mighty big SP slump for a 10% profit forecast loss. The going seemed good according to the reports surrounding it. Interesting. I bought just a few just for share fiddling interest. Might be a falling knife but it doesn't look quite like it to my rather novice eye. It'll be interesting to see what you experts think to this sort of plunge line.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Walker Greenbank plc (WGB)

Postby Lootman » November 19th, 2017, 6:37 pm

I'm no expert on WGB but I have held it for a few years. This drop takes it back to about the level where I bought it. So I am fairly sanguine about it - it went up and then it went down.

It's in my AIM IHT portfolio so I rarely look at its price. As one of about 20 AIM shares held, I expect some winners and losers. I mostly let them do what they will, and often don't check their share price for months at a time.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » November 25th, 2017, 1:27 pm

I originally bought WGB for about 30p back in the Gyllenhammar days. It's good to see their progress since. I thought they were too expensive over £2 but think they are starting to look a lot more attractive for recovery.

It seems that at the moment that anything consumer spending related is being hammered, maybe justly, but I think this is going to throw up opportunities for recovery in a few years time and quality companies such as WGB could benefit.

I don't currently have too much exposure to consumer spending, just a small DEB holding which despite the ADVFN thread I don't think will go broke and i've always liked the shops.

It could be a bit early to be buying these sort of stocks though as I think things could get worse before they get better.

Lester

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » July 24th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Well they just tanked today down to 75p.... suppose on the trading update news.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » July 25th, 2018, 12:10 am

Strikes me that the management team haven't got a grip...what they thought on the 27th June less than 1 month ago has changed!

"on 27 June 2018, the Company stated that it was encouraged by the potential of recently signed licence agreements. One of these agreements had significant potential, highlighting the prospects for the Company's high-margin licensing activities and the value of its design archives.

Since the AGM, the Company has gained new information on the potential profit contribution from this large licensing agreement and, as a result, the Board has materially revised down its expectations for licensing income in the current year."

They then go onto say that July trading was not as expected (changed from the end of June)

So, when they make a forecast for year-end, what credence is there when they can't see as far forward as one month?

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » August 7th, 2018, 12:00 pm

Doesn't bode very well when the management don't seem to know what's going on, or more bothersome, maybe they do know, but don't let their shareholders know.

Does make one wonder either way, whether to hang on, clear out or buy more.

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » August 7th, 2018, 7:33 pm

You do have to wonder, I actually bought a few at a touch over £1 because it was so far in to the current period that I felt if they were going to warn, they would have already done so, how wrong was I?

But if the situation doesn't deteriorate much further then I reckon these are now cheap. The question is at what point did they know that earnings would fall significantly short of their previous estimate and is the second half weakness going to carry forward?

I've always like this company, I know it's a mistake to "like" companies but the shares have been good to me in the past. Also, although they're often touted as selling premium brands this is only a small percentage of their business as I understand it.

I suppose what i'm trying to say is they could be close to a cyclical low, but if the housing market is really set for a sustained period of weakness then it could be some time before things improve. Are their better opportunities in the meantime?

Just a few points for debate.

Pipsmum
Lemon Slice

Postby Pipsmum » August 17th, 2018, 2:40 pm

If they're already hiding things they already know from shareholders then it makes them lose their credibility and trustworthiness IMO. One would be more likely to assist their coffers and buy in further if there wasn't that layer of apparent deceit/incompetence. It gives room to personal hesitation.

If the price were to stay low then one could extract the current funds, grow the loss back elsewhere and return to buy back in. However, I always get that sort of timing a bit wrong!!!

WickedLester
Lemon Slice

Postby WickedLester » October 14th, 2018, 9:41 am

It looks like the City has given it's verdict on the lack of accurate information from the company.

https://www.investegate.co.uk/walker-gr ... 00054869D/

Walker Greenbank PLC (AIM: WGB), the luxury interior furnishings group, announces that John Sach will today step down from his role as Chief Executive and will leave the Company on 31 October 2018.

To be fair I don't think he's done a bad job overall, although he was very well paid for it.

Interims also out:

https://www.investegate.co.uk/walker-gr ... 00104870D/

They look a long way from being a disaster to me and i've bought a few more in the 60's and 70's.

I can imagine things remaining reasonably tough for them for some time, but ever the contrarian I thinks the design archive and brands have real value and the balance sheet is very good with modest debt.

Return to “Stocks and Share Dealing Discussions”