Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

V&A 'You say you want a revolution' - anyone been?

London Locals helping visitors and locals alike
BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

V&A 'You say you want a revolution' - anyone been?

Postby BrummieDave » December 1st, 2016, 8:11 am

Me and Mrs BD are thinking of going to this next week: https://www.vam.ac.uk/shop/whatson/inde ... -01/free/2

Anyone been and able to offer an opinion?

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Re: V&A 'You say you want a revolution' - anyone been?

Postby PrincessB » December 1st, 2016, 2:51 pm

We're seeing that one in a couple of weeks.

There's another exhibition in the V & A on the history of underwear which I'm also looking forward to.

https://www.vam.ac.uk/exhibitions/undre ... -underwear

I've always found the food offerings in that area to be a bit lacklustre, perhaps through lack of research - If you like Burgers there's a GourmetBurgerKitchen nearby (about 10 minutes walk) which has always been rather good for a quick meal.

Regards,

B.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 1st, 2016, 3:01 pm

PrincessB wrote:I've always found the food offerings in that area to be a bit lacklustre, perhaps through lack of research - If you like Burgers there's a GourmetBurgerKitchen nearby (about 10 minutes walk) which has always been rather good for a quick meal.

Last time I visited the V&A we had lunch in the cafe. Food was good, setting was lovely.

All the best, Si

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » December 2nd, 2016, 7:51 am

Looks like I'll be the first to see the exhibition then, as we're there next weekend; perhaps I'll turn this thread from a request for someone who has seen it, to a review for others. And it will be lunch in the beautiful cafe rather than a burger around the corner; burger may be on the menu in the evening as we are staying overnight in Shoreditch.

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » December 2nd, 2016, 2:10 pm

Looks like I'll be the first to see the exhibition then,

Hello BrummieDave,

I had a couple of dates mixed up, it turns out I'm off to the V & A tomorrow afternoon for the revolution exhibition and I will get a chance to report back first.

Regards,

B.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » December 2nd, 2016, 3:57 pm

Sounds like a plan...

I'll check in again over the next few days; hope you enjoy it!

:)

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » December 4th, 2016, 12:22 pm

We're just back and it is excellent, especially if you were in your "prime" 1960 to 1970. I entered as a 5 year old and I exited as a 15 year old. There are some great memories to be stirred by 100s of album artwork: Simon and Garfunkel, Led Zep, Barclay James Harvest, Bob Dylan, Pink Floyd etc.

There are quite a few original clothes exhibited including Roger Daltrey's leather ensemble for Woodstock, Janis Joplin, Twiggy, the Beatles' uniforms from sgt pepper ( and other clothes). Guitars from Pete Townsend and Jim Hendrix are there, as well as the Who's drum kit.

Lots of original documents and multimedia presentations of the Vietnam war and its protests.

But the highlights for me were the excerpts from the Woodstock film on a continual loop, and played really LOUD. Jefferson Airplane, Joe Cocker, The Who, Hendrix and many many more. It managed to bring tears of nostalgia to my 61 year old eyes as I recalled watching the film as a 14 year old at the local Odeon, with lots of head shaking and the faint whiff of patchouli oil and Afghan Black drifting across the seats, from the older boys and girls.

It's a fantastic "trip" down memory lane. I've just mentioned some of my favourites, it's groovy, man! Go see it.

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Postby PrincessB » December 6th, 2016, 1:59 pm

Hi BrummieDave,

We didn't get there on Saturday. Somehow some friends sidelined us into lunch and suggested Skylon at the Royal Festival Hall.

So far so good, except the brunch menu also had unlimited Processo and no one held back, when we eventually staggered out the moment had passed.

Had another go on Sunday and got stuck in horrible traffic near Richmond and ended up going to Kew Gardens instead.

We are planning another attempt for the coming weekend so we'll probably end up in Brighton!

B.

toofast2live
Lemon Slice

Postby toofast2live » December 6th, 2016, 5:51 pm

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did. Let us know.

Return to “London lovers”