Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Off the tourist-trail attractions

London Locals helping visitors and locals alike
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Off the tourist-trail attractions

Postby DiamondEcho » December 5th, 2016, 8:11 am

I was reading an article in today's Telegraph; 'London's secret sights: 14 odd attractions you never knew were there'. And as well as I feel I know London, several of them are things I'd never heard of.

Wiltons.org.uk a surviving music-hall near Tower Hill that has a restaurant and bars sounds interesting. It currently has an Xmas panto too.

Another that caught my attention is: http://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/If you look at the 'The Tour' tab, it begins thus:

'Its creator was Dennis Severs, an artist who used his visitors’ imaginations as his canvas and who lived in the house in much the same way as its original occupants might have done in the early 18th Century. This he did for his own personal enjoyment as well as for the harvest of an atmosphere, which he then employed to provide the visitor with an extraordinary experience. To enter its door is to pass through a frame into a painting, one with a time and life of its own.
The game is that you interrupt a family of Huguenot silk weavers named Jervis who, though they can still sometimes be heard, seem always to be just out of sight. As you journey off into a silent search through the ten rooms, each lit by fire and candlelight, you receive a number of stimulations to your senses'.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Re: Off the tourist-trail attractions

Postby DiamondEcho » December 5th, 2016, 8:51 am

Oops, a mangled link in the above and I can't edit it. It should read:

' http://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/ If you look at the 'The Tour' tab, it begins thus:'

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » January 9th, 2017, 5:16 pm

It might seem counter-intuitive if you live in London, but as the latter IME you tend to be aware of new trends/places, but can overlook more established/historic places you've previously not visited. New visitors tend to have done far more current research of things to do, and hence are usually interesting to tap for info, as to what's on their itinerary. A variation of seeing things via a fresh set of eyes perhaps.

DeBriefed

Postby DeBriefed » January 11th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Thank you! I love Wilton's but never heard of the Denis Evers House - will have to look into it.

Another place "off the beaten track" a bit is Two Temple Place. It's a gothic Victorian pile with some very impressive panelling etc. puts on exhibitions of items which I think are generally borrowed from elsewhere (the next one seems to be an art exhibition but the last one I went to was lots of old science and manufacturing technology), and a nice cafe. It only opens a few months a year (it is re-opening at the end of this month until April - not sure if it will then open again later in the year).

http://www.twotempleplace.org/

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » January 11th, 2017, 7:57 pm

Three to visit if you are out and about in Hampstead, NW London. :idea:
Kenwood House
and/or
Keats House
and/or
Freud Museum

lisyloo2

Postby lisyloo2 » April 30th, 2017, 8:49 am

My favourite would be Wellington arch especially when the horse guards are changing and ride underneath, about £5 but qualifies for daysout 2for1 if you gave train tickets.

Sky garden is free but free tickets go really quick and come on-line around 8am on Mondays 3 weeks ahead.

The Freemasons hall on drury lane is spectacular and the tour is fee.

Roman house and baths at Billingsgate market is £8 for the tour.

Zone 4 but Hindu temple at Neasden is worth visiting and free. Note the vegetarian restaurant is more authentic rather than the usual way that Indian restaurants are altered for the western pallet, therefore I wouldn't recommend thus for people that don't like spicy food as choice will be limited e.g. Naan bread.

Painted hall at Greenwich (and would definitely recommend the Thames clippers)

Highgate cemetery

RAF museum at collindale - free

Bentley priory - headquarters of fighter command

charterhouse - the museum is free, we did the brothers tour which was good (tom hardy/James Delaney was filmed being stabbed here in taboo)

St pancras renaissance hotel - tour is price at £24 but interesting

Return to “London lovers”