Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

4 hours in that London

London Locals helping visitors and locals alike
moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Re: 4 hours in that London

Postby moorfield » October 8th, 2019, 5:39 pm

Smautf wrote:
And, depending on where you start from, it's possible to get pretty close to the Aquatics Centre without going on the roads at all. I would recommend getting to Angel by bus / tube, and picking up your steed around there. As well as Santander Cycles, you should see Jump and Lime e-bikes in the area - they're all over the place, all of a sudden (although I haven't ridden one myself).

You can then follow the Regents Canal towpath East, ride through Victoria Park, and go over the A12 on the footbridge next to Cadogan Gate. You'll get to see a spot of achingly-hip Hackney Wick before crossing the Lee Navigation and landing in the Olympic Park itself.

Thanks for taking the time Chris, that's a really good tip. I like the look of the route on Google maps so am minded to try this. Unfortunately the Competition Pool looks unavailable next weekend for some event so I may only get to try the Training Pool.

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » October 8th, 2019, 7:50 pm

fisher wrote:
JohnB wrote:A lot depends when the OP last went to places. Some museums and galleries have changed much more than others. Science museum a lot, LT museum hardly at all (and its eye-wateringly expensive). Post Office museum completely red-one, with added train ride.

LT museum entrance for one adult is £18 on the door or £16.50 in advance on line. I wouldn't call that "eye-wateringly expensive"

IIRC the ticket LT sell you is vailid for one year? Best get there early otherwise you may be queueing forever to get in.

For the transport buffs, the Post Office underground railway has now been opened up and worth a ride. In Clerkenwell somewhere I recall.

Smautf

Postby Smautf » October 9th, 2019, 2:42 pm

moorfield wrote:
Smautf wrote:
And, depending on where you start from, it's possible to get pretty close to the Aquatics Centre without going on the roads at all. I would recommend getting to Angel by bus / tube, and picking up your steed around there. As well as Santander Cycles, you should see Jump and Lime e-bikes in the area - they're all over the place, all of a sudden (although I haven't ridden one myself).

You can then follow the Regents Canal towpath East, ride through Victoria Park, and go over the A12 on the footbridge next to Cadogan Gate. You'll get to see a spot of achingly-hip Hackney Wick before crossing the Lee Navigation and landing in the Olympic Park itself.

Thanks for taking the time Chris, that's a really good tip. I like the look of the route on Google maps so am minded to try this. Unfortunately the Competition Pool looks unavailable next weekend for some event so I may only get to try the Training Pool.

You're entirely welcome. A couple of small caveats, while I think of them !

- as you'll probably have worked out from Google Maps, the canal goes through a tunnel at Islington, and you'll need to join the towpath at the East end. The entrance is on Colebrooke Row (very close to Boris Johnson's old house, as it happens).

- i'd allow 30 minutes for the bike ride from there to the far side of the Olympic Park. You could probably do it quicker if you pushed on, but, hey, why not take it steady, and enjoy the unique scenery and ambience of canal-side Hackney !

Chris

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 14th, 2019, 3:07 pm

moorfield wrote:You have 4 hours to kill (11am - 3pm) on your own in London on a Saturday. No missus, no offspring, no mates.

So what would you do?

Check myself in to a psychiatrist. London on a Saturday? I don't think so. And when the hell did I have a kid?

National Gallery, if only to abuse my membership cloakroom privileges. At £2 an item I'm fairly confident I can make my annual fee back in checked coats and bags if I really put my mind to it.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » October 23rd, 2019, 6:14 am

With just 4hrs it would assist to know your point/s of arrival and departure in town, since crossing town to/fro could rather wastefully take up a decent chunk of that. For example I could suggest https://www.dennissevershouse.co.uk/ in Spitalfields [nr Liverpool St], but less use if you're coming in at Paddington.

Return to “London lovers”