Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Shepperton Studio's Cinema

London Locals helping visitors and locals alike
PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Shepperton Studio's Cinema

Postby PrincessB » January 27th, 2017, 3:55 pm

I doubt anyone who lives in Shepperton would consider it part of London despite in being a mere 10-15 minute drive from J1 of the M3. What it does have is Shepperton Studios and tucked away in there is a rather great cinema.

Unlike many cinemas:

There's only one screen.
There are fewer seats, only six or so rows of comfy armchairs and a dozen sofas towards the back.
There is none of that preview stuff or adverts, the film we saw 'Sully' was due to start at 4:00pm and after a trailer to La La Land it did.
It has Dolby Atmos which places speakers in the ceiling for extra effect - The La La Land trailer showed some fireworks and the bangs and crackles did indeed come from above.
It has practically no staff or popcorn or bar (I think they had a coffee machine) as many of the older audience appeared to be regulars, they bought picnics - Proper picnics, I saw a few bottles of wine, cans of Gin and Tonic, grapes and what looked like a roast pheasant - No one made a mess and I can only guess this is the norm - I think it's rather nice to be treated as an adult from time to time and the relaxed nature was a far cry from the normal cinema chains.
Prices at the high end of reasonable. £12 adult, £10 concession. Given the amount of time saved by not having to sit through an hour of adverts and trailers, I rate that as a bargain.

The downs:
Behind the main seating was a large black tarpaulin which apparently has the consoles they use when showing films to the bigwigs - This blocked part of the screen out if you sat on the sofas.
The Dolby system seemed a bit out of balance, the bass was sloppier than I though normal and the dialogue was a bit on the quiet side - This may have been the film though as I'm angling to see Rouge One there.
There was a strange sparkle apparent at times on the screen - It looked like a cloud of midges on bright white parts of the screen. I'm prepared to see what happens next time (Tickets for La La Land booked) as I'm not sure how high the production values of a film like Sully were.
Finding the cinema. Ahh the British love of putting every single sign you don't need while omitting the one that shows where to go. It's behind the Orangery conference area so if you can find your way there, skirt around it and you'll find it eventually.

If I've interested anyone, here's a useful link:
http://www.pinewoodgroup.com/our-studio ... on-studios

I'll also disclaim that I have no commercial or other interest in Pinewood Cinemas, I just thought it was a fun and refreshing place to see a film.

Regards,

B.

PrincessB
Lemon Slice

Re: Shepperton Studio's Cinema

Postby PrincessB » February 9th, 2017, 12:15 pm

Talking to myself here.

Saw 'Rogue One' a Star Wars story last week.

The cinema has three rows of 12 large armchair seats and four sofas at the back which do block the screen. As I was driving, I had a coke while spouse wishing to be discrete had a half bottle of red wine and some quiet snacking nibbles.

It's really loud in there, the sparkles were still apparent and only distracted slightly. On the plus side, we both really enjoyed the film which is more of an action/war film than the usual Star Wars mumbo jumbo. This was great as I don't make an effort to see Star Wars film as I'm not 13 and I expected spouse to hate it (hence the wine).

Off to see La La Land in a few days.

Regards,

B.

Paultry
2 Lemon pips

Re: Shepperton Studio's Cinema

Postby Paultry » February 9th, 2017, 4:19 pm

Princess B

Saw La la land on Monday eve, mmm............Last ten minutes was brilliant.

Saw Toni Erdman on Monday afternoon.............Two hours of brilliance.

Enjoy

PS At the Little Theatre Bath

Return to “London lovers”