Remove ads

The Hattrick Season 68 thread

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
UncleIan
Lemon Slice

The Hattrick Season 68 thread

Postby UncleIan » April 16th, 2018, 9:41 am

The joy of finishing second in the league...invariably a really hard start to season away from home. Okay, sometimes it's a cakewalk, but usually things are a little tricky.

Thanks to a jammy win by last seasons class of the field to get promoted, we now have an even tougher opponent for the title. We also have the two new promotees, and another team that liked the cut of our jib and transferred into our league.

Had a good look at my opponents for the weekend and figured that with a standard early season PIC I was outclassed. In fact, on a MOTS I'd only be making it 50/50, so it was PIC/Press/Pray time. After just two minutes we went ahead from a corner, then they equalised a minute later, a bit of a breathless start, and it calmed down a bit after that, as we pressed away a chance. It unravelled a bit and we went into half time 3-1 down. Us with only 43% possession, I'm not surprised at the score. They bagged another in the second half, and we missed one, for a 4-1 final score. Chances were 9-2 to them, so definitely not complaining about the result.

Unfortunately it was the biggest pasting handed out at the weekend, with two score draws and one 5-3 so we're bottom of the league currently. Early days though. Stats suggest I've got the third best team, which away on a PIC is a good sign, but it's still pretty tight, apart from first, they're head and shoulders above the rest. Looks like two more seasons in this league then at least, maybe it's a good time to do some long term plans. I've got mostly homegrown trainees in midfield, though not on the wing, so it might be time to get some fresh mono-skilled strikers and do some passing training, but that'll be a lot of set pieces skill walking out the door, and as over 30s I won't get much for them. As ever, decisions decisions.

Donut102

Re: The Hattrick Season 68 thread

Postby Donut102 » April 17th, 2018, 11:32 am

Lost 4-2 at the weekend, with my second team - keeping the first team for a cup run.
Mentally I've written off this season in the league as I need to drop back to 5% stamina and do some concentrated PM training, Currently training Passing, and will switch when I'm out of the secondary cup.

I made a rare transfer in the off season. I had 3 technical forwards, and since they updated the specialities and introduced Powerful Normal Forward I have been mulling over selling one of them and replacing with a Powerful. I'm really not active in the transfer market (other than selling YA players) and so any excuse to sit on my hands I've taken. However as last season progressed I was seeing more of the top teams target TDF through man marking which makes perfect sense. Doesn't tend to happen down in V, but I should get ready.
So I sold my level 13 technical scorer with secondaries in PM, Passing and SP for £600k more than a level 15 powerful scorer with passing secondary.
The market clearly hasn't yet caught up with latest thinking, or are secondaries really valuable?

Bink333
2 Lemon pips

Postby Bink333 » April 17th, 2018, 4:52 pm

I tried to pull off a similar stunt to last season, but didn't get enough in m/f to make it work.

I was pleased to nail my man-marking target though.

Thanks for your votes, I'm now the new National Team manager for England.

It should keep me out of mischief for a few months!

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » April 18th, 2018, 8:55 am

Donut102 wrote:However as last season progressed I was seeing more of the top teams target TDF through man marking which makes perfect sense. Doesn't tend to happen down in V, but I should get ready.
So I sold my level 13 technical scorer with secondaries in PM, Passing and SP for £600k more than a level 15 powerful scorer with passing secondary.
The market clearly hasn't yet caught up with latest thinking, or are secondaries really valuable?

A nice rounded player is always valuable, SP isn't a lot but with passing and PM, the finished article in other words, there's a premium paid for that. Or perhaps you just got lucky. :)

To be fair to the market, I think I only did a man marking order once last season, and didn't see anyone else do it in my IV, but it's not the most active series. And I missed a memo, I was just looking through the manual for the specialities, and I must have missed a memo about powerful forwards. I always reckoned from my forward training days that technicals and head were the most popular for forwards, probably in order head, technical, quick unpredictable, then powerful a long way down, not sure why, that should change over time, so well done for getting ahead of the curve. I might be in the market for some forwards, if I decide to switch to passing training, so I shall watch out for this.

Donut102

Postby Donut102 » April 18th, 2018, 10:47 am

Passing & PM were only at level 9 or so, so a long way off the finished article. SP was a bit better at 12, but again not great.

The Powerful Normal Forward needs high PM to be effective, which is why its going to be a rare beast - if you're going to have a dual skilled Score/ PM then you'd want to play it defensively. And if you're going to do that then you want Technical to get the guaranteed boost to passing.
But at the higher levels TDFs are being negated by man marking.

I always reckoned from my forward training days that technicals and head were the most popular for forwards, probably in order head, technical, quick unpredictable, then powerful a long way down

IMHO Technicals are still the best, but can be nerfed by man marking. The PNF option has now boosted Powerful, so overall I'd rank all Forward specialities equally.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”