Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

RWC 2019 preview tonight on ITV

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

RWC 2019 preview tonight on ITV

Postby PinkDalek » September 19th, 2019, 7:35 pm

As if.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: RWC 2019 preview tonight on ITV

Postby didds » September 20th, 2019, 8:51 am

Think Ive fallen out of love with elite rugby. I'll still watch england's games in various competitions, and do away to Edinburgh in the 6N every two years etc - but there's summat about it all that doesn't get me excited any longer. But I had to google when RWC actually started two days ago I'm so out of the loop with it all.

maybe 44 years involvement has taken its toll.

I had a cracking afternoon down my club last weekend watching our 1st XV mind.

Roll on the next few weeks of course :)

And may the most fortuitous side win :)

didds

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » September 20th, 2019, 9:25 am

didds wrote:Think Ive fallen out of love with elite rugby. I'll still watch england's games in various competitions, and do away to Edinburgh in the 6N every two years etc - but there's summat about it all that doesn't get me excited any longer.

I find it impossible to get interested in club/regional rugby union. At international level, I will still watch if it is on, but I am less likely to seek it out. I think it is because there has been a conscious effort to speed the game up which to my mind just makes it all a bit bland and League-y. Defences are just too strong. OTOH it is fun but a bit galling to watch rugby from pre-1995. They are just so...awful.

DM

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 20th, 2019, 11:39 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:[

I find it impossible to get interested in club/regional rugby union.

at the elite levels I agree DN eg Bath/Leinster/Scarlets etc level.

I wasnt very clear above :-)

Again, id go to an occassional game at bath/London Irish, but i wouldn't have a clue who is doing what generally

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: RWC 2019 Match 1

Postby PinkDalek » September 20th, 2019, 12:14 pm

A question of sport:

Which team scored the first try at RWC 2019?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: RWC 2019 Match 2

Postby PinkDalek » September 21st, 2019, 6:47 am

Well worth the early start. I shan’t mention the half-time score for those not watching live. Most enjoyable match so far though.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: RWC 2019 - Match 25

Postby PinkDalek » October 5th, 2019, 1:34 pm

Not much interest from fellow Fools it seems, at least in writing, but today’s England match reminded me of 1966 all over again. At least there was no sign of expectoration or “violence of the tongue”. Shame really, the match was spoilt by the new tightened interpretation of the Laws.

On a separate issue, has anyone seen if any of the kicks across to the wings have been referred to or by the TMO? I’ve never spotted a directly side on replay but one or two have looked suspiciously offside during live play (especially Maitland’s - if I’ve got the correct player - and that was at 3-0).

EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Postby EssDeeAitch » October 5th, 2019, 2:56 pm

PinkDalek wrote:Not much interest from fellow Fools it seems, at least in writing, but today’s England match reminded me of 1966 all over again. At least there was no sign of expectoration or “violence of the tongue”. Shame really, the match was spoilt by the new tightened interpretation of the Laws.

On a separate issue, has anyone seen if any of the kicks across to the wings have been referred to or by the TMO? I’ve never spotted a directly side on replay but one or two have looked suspiciously offside during live play (especially Maitland’s - if I’ve got the correct player - and that was at 3-0).

I think a lot of cross kicks have been offside and I also think there is a conspiracy of silence by the comentators on the matter. Another law sacrificed on the alter of running rugby?

And today, we saw Samoa being penalised for a crooked scrum feed! What?

However, I have enjoyed the tournament tremendously so far.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 7th, 2019, 2:41 pm

PinkDalek wrote: Shame really, the match was spoilt by the new tightened interpretation of the Laws.

Well, I have to disagree there that these are in anyway "new". Sonny Bill Williams got RCd 2 years ago for NZ v Lions for a no arms collision to the head with force, with his shoulder. Two years isn't in my opinion "new" - its 50% of a RWC life cycle for a start. Frankly these players are (on the whole) professionals and should know the rules, regs and laws that their profession requires of them. We wouldn't expect a lorry driver to be ignorant of the highway code, and rugby professionals are no different in being expected to know the laws of rugby and their interpretations.

Three years ago when the edict came down about "seat belt tackles" I was coaching a colts squad and we coaching team put a LOT oif time and effort into ingraining into our guys to tackle below the nipple line and if not belly button to avoid any cards, and backed that up with "2nd man in" tackling teams to either jackle at the tackle or make the follow up tackle if offloaded. If we could do it with at best 90 minutes contact time a week with our players than these pros should be all over it.

Unless of course - its in their squads game plan...

didds

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » October 7th, 2019, 3:00 pm

didds wrote:
PinkDalek wrote: Shame really, the match was spoilt by the new tightened interpretation of the Laws.

Well, I have to disagree there that these are in anyway "new". ...

I meant new as in these RWC finals. Not that I'm disputing the safety considerations but, as I said and you've ignored, I thought the match was spoilt by the red card.

Interesting to note that Quaglio has now also been banned for 3 matches for the Vermeulen "lifting tackle".

https://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws ... cision.pdf

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 7th, 2019, 3:33 pm

We;ll have to agree to disagree. Laws and interpretations that lead to red cards that have been in place for at least two years (SBW) and more like three (wrt colts experience) are not "ruining a game" - the players that havent learned in that time frame what they need to do or not do spoil the game.

In short I don't recognise that the laws "spoil the game".

I'm not sure what is meant then that they are "new as in these RWC finals" ? Is it that they weren't in place in the 2015 RWC? If so any RWC will have "new laws" every time - unless WR manages to not tinker at all in a four year period!

didds

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: RWC 2019 - Match 25 etc

Postby PinkDalek » October 7th, 2019, 3:53 pm

didds wrote:We;ll have to agree to disagree. ...

I don't think we are disagreeing and I am not saying the guy shouldn't have been sent off. Merely that the game was spoilt by the guy doing what he did and getting red carded. I didn't mean to imply the Laws spoilt the game.

I know you'd done a bit of rugby, as the saying goes, and know your stuff. I was under the impression the Laws were being enforced more strictly at this RWC than in 2015. I thought the directive was issued in 2017 or thereabouts and additional categories were introduced. If I'm wrong, so be it but I've now found this article which might be what I'm on about:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/jan/06/world-rugby-new-tackle-laws-what-are-they

This from November 2018 may have resulted in a different outcome if it occurred in RWC 2019 (when all eyes are on):

'Officials continue to turn a blind eye to dangerous Owen Farrell tackles'
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2018/11/26/officials-continue-turn-blind-eye-dangerous-owen-farrell-tackles/

I think you said you might not be watching many of the RWC 2019 matches. I've seen most of them in full and have noted some apparent inconsistencies in the decisions, including interpretations of the mitigating circumstances. I don't recall so many reviews in RWC 2015. Do others?

It can't be that players are unaware of the Laws and yet, seemingly, more are being pulled up, unless I'm mistaken, which does happen!

Edit: I note you put "ruining a game" in inverted commas, suggesting those were my words. I can't find them in any of my posts on this thread. Nor did I say your that the laws "spoil the game".

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 7th, 2019, 4:41 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
didds wrote:We;ll have to agree to disagree. ...

I don't think we are disagreeing and I am not saying the guy shouldn't have been sent off. Merely that the game was spoilt by the guy doing what he did and getting red carded. I didn't mean to imply the Laws spoilt the game.

Gotcha :-)

I know you'd done a bit of rugby, as the saying goes, and know your stuff. I was under the impression the Laws were being enforced more strictly at this RWC than in 2015. I thought the directive was issued in 2017 or thereabouts and additional categories were introduced. If I'm wrong, so be it but I've now found this article which might be what I'm on about:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2017/jan/06/world-rugby-new-tackle-laws-what-are-they

Ah - yeah. See what you mean. Hmm. Well, whether it ws 2015, 2016 or 2017 - its still two years down the line. But I do see where any possible conflation of events etc has occurred.

If WR didn't mess around with stuff constantly the position would be far easier for all of us!

Edit: I note you put "ruining a game" in inverted commas, suggesting those were my words. I can't find them in any of my posts on this thread. Nor did I say your that the laws "spoil the game".
[/quote]

that may have been a very bad quote etc - was it "spoiling" ? I may have conflated several posts/threads/forums! Apologies.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » October 7th, 2019, 6:33 pm

didds wrote:that may have been a very bad quote etc - was it "spoiling" ? I may have conflated several posts/threads/forums! Apologies.

Apologies not needed, I probably worded my comments badly in the first place.

My main aim was to mention the less important WC back in '66 when the Argentinian captain was sent off, possibly for expectoration or “violence of the tongue”. I was actually hoping the most recent sending off was a good sign for things to come in this RWC***.

The other aim was to kick start this Topic again. Thanks for your contributions.

I suppose I should seek out where else you've been posting. Was one of those places RugbyRefs or similar?

On a lighter note, I'm sure everyone saw this from Jamie George a while back but it still amuses me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7O4LN0Qskk

*** I do not bet regularly and never bet against England and am not really hopeful on their chances. On the subject of hookers, I've got £10 double riding on them and Cowan-Dickie being England's top try scorer. The red card may have helped with his 3rd try so far. Not bad for a sub but harder matches are to come, hopefully in the QFs and onwards.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 7th, 2019, 10:10 pm

PinkDalek wrote:[
I suppose I should seek out where else you've been posting. Was one of those places RugbyRefs or similar?

guilty as charged! :-)

didds

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”