Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

ESL

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Re: ESL

Postby Arborbridge » April 20th, 2021, 10:34 pm

JamesMuenchen wrote:Seeing as embittered Remainers have managed to turn the discussion to Boris and Brexit, as usual, can anyone explain how UK teams are able to play in Europe now anyway?

That question is so weird that it does not deserve an answer. I can only hope you were having a larff.

Arb.

JamesMuenchen
Lemon Slice

Postby JamesMuenchen » April 21st, 2021, 2:54 am

Arborbridge wrote:
JamesMuenchen wrote:Seeing as embittered Remainers have managed to turn the discussion to Boris and Brexit, as usual, can anyone explain how UK teams are able to play in Europe now anyway?

That question is so weird that it does not deserve an answer. I can only hope you were having a larff.

Arb.

No, it's a serious question that I can't find an answer to

There is a lot of talk in the press that British bands will struggle to perform in the EU as there was no agreement on a visa waiver for them. (To go on tour they now need to get working visas for all the band and support staff for each individual EU country on the tour.)

So was there a visa waiver agreement for football clubs?

I know the new rules regarding transfers of players, but this is different.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » April 21st, 2021, 7:45 am

JamesMuenchen wrote:find an answer to

There is a lot of talk in the press that British bands will struggle to perform in the EU as there was no agreement on a visa waiver for them. (To go on tour they now need to get working visas for all the band and support staff for each individual EU country on the tour.)

Now that is serious question concerning visas which affects all sorts of areas in sport and the arts. My own interest - music and ballet - for example must be tearing its hair out, so to speak. Many dancers in the major ballet companies are not Brits and bringing in foreign dancers or travelling with them must have now become a nightmare. Another thing to thank Brexit for NOT!

Arb.

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » April 21st, 2021, 8:17 am

Lootman wrote:But without Bayern and Dortmund, it cannot truly be a "Super" league. Presumably the German government has their clubs over some kind of barrel, in that very Teutonic way that they do.

Fans have a much greater role in German club ownership than in England

https://www.goal.com/en/news/what-is-50 ... m8ok60k1uc

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » April 21st, 2021, 11:00 am

JamesMuenchen wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

Arb.

No, it's a serious question that I can't find an answer to

I have also tried and failed to find the answer. I suspect the position is as follows:

Many players in the EPL will already have EU passports - even some who are nominally South American. For them, playing in the EU or EEA is no issue. However there are plenty of countries whose teams play in UEFA competitions who are not in the EU or EEA, and both those with EU passports and most other players will already have issues there. I suspect they need temporary working visas for matches in these countries, and that this will be the case with non-EU players from the UK now. I also suspect that there are inter-governmental channels to try to make sure that the path is smoothed for such cases. There will be limits on the number of days that the players can work in these countries, but the number of matches we're talking about will mean visits total well under 60 days in most cases (although I can see an issue with, say world cups, but I would anticipate some sort of government assistance with big residential tournaments).

Matters of the expense of doing so and the possibility of delays in receiving visas, are probably less of an issue to EPL clubs than they are for many other sports.

DM

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » April 21st, 2021, 12:33 pm

It is (was!) a massive cock-up and PR disaster, but Liverpool's owner has made a commendable effort to apologise
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56828413

--kiloran

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 21st, 2021, 12:54 pm

Hopefully they will all be docked points. That way Wolves stand a chance of a top 5 finish

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » April 21st, 2021, 4:21 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Hopefully they will all be docked points. That way Wolves stand a chance of a top 5 finish

And [expletive deleted] might get relegated.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » April 21st, 2021, 4:27 pm

Perfect - but sadly not to be.
The 2018-2019 final table looks good if you remove the renegades...

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”