Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

NUFC takeover

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

NUFC takeover

Postby SteMiS » October 7th, 2021, 2:03 pm

A lot of heavy press speculation that, after Saudi Arabia reversed its decision to ban beIN Sport (the Premier League’s official Middle East broadcaster) from operating in the country, the £300m takeover of Newcastle United by the Saudi PIF backed consortium will be announced shortly.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... n-thursday

https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/newc ... qyTqtaw7YX

One only has to look at the relative wealth of the owners of Europe's richest clubs to see the impact this could have...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... st-owners/

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Re: NUFC takeover

Postby SteMiS » October 7th, 2021, 5:47 pm

SteMiS wrote:A lot of heavy press speculation that, after Saudi Arabia reversed its decision to ban beIN Sport (the Premier League’s official Middle East broadcaster) from operating in the country, the £300m takeover of Newcastle United by the Saudi PIF backed consortium will be announced shortly.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... n-thursday

https://theathletic.com/live-blogs/newc ... qyTqtaw7YX

One only has to look at the relative wealth of the owners of Europe's richest clubs to see the impact this could have...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football ... st-owners/

It's done. Ashley's reign has ended...

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2283712

The Premier League, Newcastle United Football Club and St James Holdings Limited have today settled the dispute over the takeover of the club by the consortium of PIF, PCP Capital Partners and RB Sports & Media.

Following the completion of the Premier League's Owners' and Directors' Test, the club has been sold to the consortium with immediate effect.

The legal disputes concerned which entities would own and/or have the ability to control the club following the takeover.

All parties have agreed the settlement is necessary to end the long uncertainty for fans over the club’s ownership.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 7th, 2021, 6:00 pm

I hope it goes well. I've always had a soft spot for NUFC and want to see them up there in the top 6. The fans deserve it.

--kiloran

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » October 20th, 2021, 1:16 pm

And now Bruce's reign has ended

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news ... l-consent/

The only good thing you can really say about Bruce was that he never relegated Newcastle, without which the takeover probably wouldn't have happened.

I genuinely wish him well. The last couple of years can't have been pleasant for him, regardless of the money, and I've no doubt that deep down he's glad it's over...

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » October 20th, 2021, 4:48 pm

kiloran wrote:I hope it goes well. I've always had a soft spot for NUFC and want to see them up there in the top 6. The fans deserve it.

--kiloran

Why do the fans deserve it anymore than another bunch of fans at say Sunderland?

T7

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 20th, 2021, 5:05 pm

SteMiS wrote:And now Bruce's reign has ended

https://www.nufc.co.uk/news/latest-news ... l-consent/

The only good thing you can really say about Bruce was that he never relegated Newcastle, without which the takeover probably wouldn't have happened.

I genuinely wish him well. The last couple of years can't have been pleasant for him, regardless of the money, and I've no doubt that deep down he's glad it's over...

can't say I blame him
He always come across on MOTD as a decent guy
and he doesn't seem to get any appreciation, if they win it's the players, if they lose it's "Bruce out"

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 20th, 2021, 5:10 pm

terminal7 wrote:
kiloran wrote:I hope it goes well. I've always had a soft spot for NUFC and want to see them up there in the top 6. The fans deserve it.

--kiloran

Why do the fans deserve it anymore than another bunch of fans at say Sunderland?

T7

As a Coventry supporter, there is a bit of history with Sunderland fans :lol:
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport ... y-17822052

But apart from that, there is no logic to an affinity for a team or fans. Why do I like Liverpool but hate(!) [expletive deleted]. Why do I prefer to see Brentford beat Aston Villa?

--kiloran

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 20th, 2021, 6:13 pm

kiloran wrote:there is no logic to an affinity for a team or fans. Why do I like Liverpool but hate(!) [expletive deleted]. Why do I prefer to see Brentford beat Aston Villa?

Yes, I live in London but hate all the London teams, except for Brentford. Special loathing for Spurs and West Ham.

Liverpool and Leicester are my teams, and there is some logic behind my support of both.

I think the idea here is that it is good to see teams that are well supported doing well, so that includes Newcastle, Sunderland, Portsmouth and Villa, all of whom have good crowds even when they are doing badly, which is often.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » October 21st, 2021, 10:13 am

Lootman wrote:Liverpool and Leicester are my teams, and there is some logic behind my support of both.

I'm sorry but this does not compute. I guess if you grew up not liking football you can somehow legitimise supporting multiple teams. Some of us are unfortunate enough to have kicked a football from as soon as we could walk and had a football team ingrained into us from a very young age by parents. Where I grew up you could only support one of two teams. If you supported anyone else you were a weirdo! :)

All the best, Si

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » October 21st, 2021, 11:48 am

simoan wrote:
Lootman wrote:Liverpool and Leicester are my teams, and there is some logic behind my support of both.

I'm sorry but this does not compute. I guess if you grew up not liking football you can somehow legitimise supporting multiple teams. Some of us are unfortunate enough to have kicked a football from as soon as we could walk and had a football team ingrained into us from a very young age by parents. Where I grew up you could only support one of two teams. If you supported anyone else you were a weirdo! :)

All the best, Si

Where I grew up, you learnt very quickly to make sure you knew who you were talking to before declaring an allegiance to one of the two main local teams, as the wrong answer could easily lead to you getting your teeth in your hands to play with. I generally chose a third reasonably local team, of course no one believed me. The actual local senior team eventually moved away because they had no supporters.

My parents had literally zero interest in football, so I later picked a local - ish team because I liked their style and they were not Manchester United or Liverpool, and I didn't want to be a glory hunter. And with a few minor exceptions, they have continued to keep me away from being a glory hunter ever since. Having moved, I now very vaguely support my local team as well, and they have avoided much glory either so I remain contented.

DM

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 21st, 2021, 1:21 pm

simoan wrote:

All the best, Si

If the two teams were in the same city or area then I would agree. But I think it is entirely reasonable to want to see more than one team do well. In fact there are few games I watch where I am truly neutral. There is nearly always one team I prefer to the other.

Of course if by "support" you mean buying a season ticket and attending every match then I agree with you. But in the more general sense of the word I think one can have split loyalties. When Liverpool play Leicester it is harder of course. But for long periods they were in different divisions anyway. It is really only in the last 5 or so years that they were competitive with each other.

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » October 21st, 2021, 1:32 pm

terminal7 wrote:

--kiloran

T7

To be fair to Sunderland fans, they've had more than their fair share of suffering. Much I dislike Ashley's running of NUFC, Ellis Short's custody of SAFC was little short of criminal. And then to have it captured on two highly hilarious docuseries "Sunderland Till I Die" :lol:

So I do actually wish Sunderland a bit of luck, although I'll not be repeating that up the Toon on a Friday night....

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 21st, 2021, 2:57 pm

SteMiS wrote:
So I do actually wish Sunderland a bit of luck....

You go wash your mouth out with soap. You should be ashamed of yourself :lol:

--kiloran

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » October 21st, 2021, 3:21 pm

simoan wrote:Where I grew up you could only support one of two teams. If you supported anyone else you were a weirdo! :)

It just depends where you grew up though - in some cities like Bristol or Dundee there's a very obvious choice of two. And conversely in very rural counties like Shropshire or Norfolk you "obviously" follow the team in the county town. But where I grew up there was no really "obvious" team, the nearest team I was ever likely to see on MOTD was over 20 miles away, and we were surrounded by clubs that were all at different levels in the pyramid so there was no real local "rivalries" to speak of. So you could enjoy the Tier 7 team having a bit of a run in the FA Trophy even while a team up the road was challenging for promotion from the Conference, they were just different things.

And as people move around more, one tends to have a cheer for the local team to where you've lived, as long as they aren't threatening the team(s) where you grew up. So I've got a couple of teams I've got a soft spot for having lived there - or at least names of teams, I have had quite a good record of driving teams to relegation from the league and/or bankruptcy...

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Postby gryffron » October 23rd, 2021, 11:44 am

I think poor old Brucey did pretty well given the pitiful scraps he was expected to survive on as Mike Ashley bled the club dry.

Gryff

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » October 24th, 2021, 12:12 am

gryffron wrote:

I think poor old Brucey did pretty well given the pitiful scraps he was expected to survive on as Mike Ashley bled the club dry.

Gryff

You obviously never saw them play.

Actually, in the two years three months Bruce was manager Newcastle spent £120m. Despite this Bruce had a win ratio of only 28.9%. It's not like it was even getting any better. In the last 37 games Newcastle won just 7; that's 18.9%. In the two seasons Bruce was in charge no other Premiership team that has avoided relegation has had a win ratio as bad as that. Bruce's luck was that that run straddled two seasons, but his luck was running out...

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » October 24th, 2021, 9:53 am

when bruce was at villa , i thought him mediocre at best , and was glad when he went .

i doubt he improved at newcastle .

:(

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 27th, 2021, 1:57 pm

That banner:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... tle-banner

Apparently Brighton fans have been in touch with Palace fans to request they borrow the banner. Not sure if it'll get to the Amex, but it could reduce the animosity, ignited by a certain Alan Mullery, all those years ago.

Is this protest likely to blow over quietly or can we expect more at each PL ground?

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » October 30th, 2021, 9:28 pm

Leothebear wrote:That banner:

Apparently Brighton fans have been in touch with Palace fans to request they borrow the banner.

Are they wanting it to protest outside Brighton based, EDO MBM Technology, who supplied bombs to the Saudis for use in their campaign in Yemen?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1776597 ... cks-yemen/

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » October 31st, 2021, 2:29 pm

SteMiS wrote:
Leothebear wrote:That banner:

Apparently Brighton fans have been in touch with Palace fans to request they borrow the banner.

Are they wanting it to protest outside Brighton based, EDO MBM Technology, who supplied bombs to the Saudis for use in their campaign in Yemen?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1776597 ... cks-yemen/

Blimey! Well done for digging that one out!
It doesn't alter the fact that every point made on that banner was true.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”