Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Who was that footballer?

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Nemo
Lemon Slice

Who was that footballer?

Postby Nemo » October 18th, 2023, 4:09 pm

Many years ago there was a footballer who played for Liverpool. Quite a 'hard man' as i recall. I think that he later played for Brighton until he was in his late 30's. Does anyone know his name please?

Thanks

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Who was that footballer?

Postby kiloran » October 18th, 2023, 4:22 pm

Jimmy Case fits the description except he left Brighton when he was about 31, not late 30's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Case

--kiloran

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » October 18th, 2023, 6:26 pm

kiloran wrote:Jimmy Case fits the description except he left Brighton when he was about 31, not late 30's

--kiloran

Except he rejoined them as player/manager in 1993 playing his last game in 1995 aged 41 I think (so again not late 30s!)

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Postby moorfield » October 19th, 2023, 8:48 am

Nemo wrote:Many years ago there was a footballer who played for Liverpool. Quite a 'hard man' as i recall. I think that he later played for Brighton until he was in his late 30's. Does anyone know his name please?

Thanks

ChatGPT says:

It sounds like you might be referring to Mark Lawrenson. Mark Lawrenson is a former footballer who played for Liverpool in the late 1970s and 1980s. He was known for his toughness as a defender. After his time at Liverpool, he did play for Brighton & Hove Albion, among other clubs, and continued his football career into his late 30s. Please note that there have been several players who fit this general description, so if you were thinking of a different player, please provide more specific details, and I'll do my best to help you identify them.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » October 19th, 2023, 8:59 am

moorfield wrote:
Nemo wrote:Many years ago there was a footballer who played for Liverpool. Quite a 'hard man' as i recall. I think that he later played for Brighton until he was in his late 30's. Does anyone know his name please?

Thanks

ChatGPT says:

It sounds like you might be referring to Mark Lawrenson. Mark Lawrenson is a former footballer who played for Liverpool in the late 1970s and 1980s. He was known for his toughness as a defender. After his time at Liverpool, he did play for Brighton & Hove Albion, among other clubs, and continued his football career into his late 30s. Please note that there have been several players who fit this general description, so if you were thinking of a different player, please provide more specific details, and I'll do my best to help you identify them.

Mark Lawrenson was not a "hard man" - wonderful footballer yes, hard man no. Interesting AI.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Postby kempiejon » October 19th, 2023, 9:12 am

I've stopped playing wiih but this thread reminded me to see what the output is like.

My AI of choice comes from Google.

https://bard.google.com/?hl=en offered.
The footballer you are thinking of is likely to be Jimmy Case. He was a tough-tackling midfielder who played for Liverpool from 1973 to 1981, making over 200 appearances for the club. He won two league titles, two European Cups, and two FA Cups with Liverpool.

Case was known for his physical style of play and his willingness to put in a tackle. He was also a versatile player who could play in a variety of positions in midfield.

In 1981, Case joined Brighton for a club record fee of £900,000. He went on to play for the Seagulls for a further seven years, making over 250 appearances. He retired from playing in 1988 at the age of 35.

Case is considered to be one of the greatest players to ever play for Brighton. He was inducted into the club's Hall of Fame in 2013.

So agrees with kiloran's suggestion.

Nemo
Lemon Slice

Postby Nemo » October 19th, 2023, 10:02 am

Jimmy Case was the person I was thinking of.

Thanks

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”