Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Germany V England...The Ladies

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: Germany V England...The Ladies

Postby Leothebear » July 31st, 2022, 8:41 pm

You need to look harder in that case. The vast majority of our Women's teams matches are officiated by men.

Our stadium's match officials facilities are set up for all men, all women, or a mixed combination.

Sometimes people don't get the joke.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 31st, 2022, 9:03 pm

simoan wrote:
nimnarb wrote:
simoan wrote:Strange lack of atmosphere. Can’t remember last time I watched a footie match with no singing. Weird. More like Wimbledon! I guess this is probably normal for women’s football?

I know what's the problem. No beer, slagging off each other, we won the war twice songs, smoke bombs, punch ups, 50 foot gob spits, huge smelly farts. Oh so civilized. Need a few strippers to liven this up. :lol:

Yes, that probably makes a difference but surely the crowd could manage even the simplest “England… England… England” chant that even a Chelsea supporter could manage :)

Uh? What match did you folks watch? And on which channel? Did you have the TV muted? Did you have the volume turned up on your hearing aids? :D

There was a huge amount of noise from the crowd; the commentator [BBC1] even commented on how loud it was. Drums, vuvuzelas, the traditional dum dum dumdumdum dumdumdumdum ENGLAND! chants, etc, etc, etc.

Should have gone to https://www.specsavers.co.uk/hearing guys!

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 31st, 2022, 9:04 pm

Leothebear wrote:You need to look harder in that case. The vast majority of our Women's teams matches are officiated by men.

Our stadium's match officials facilities are set up for all men, all women, or a mixed combination.

Sometimes people don't get the joke.

Well if it was a joke then yes, I don't get it. This isn't Laughing Lemons after all.

What's so funny about men, or women, participating in sport?

Jokes, if that was what it was, need to conform to the rules of this site too, and disparaging comments about either gender aren't allowed.

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 31st, 2022, 9:07 pm

Well I'm happy to be the exception and say that I really enjoyed it. Apart from part of the game against Sweden the other day I don't recall ever having watched women's football before, but there was much more skill than I'd expected. Whilst it wasn't as good as the top end of men's football it was a damn sight better entertainment than a lot of men's football matches I've watched - including some Premier League matches.

And the sheer joy of the team - and the 87,000 fans - when they won was wonderful to behold, and genuinely moving (or at least it was for me and my equally skeptical chums with whom I watched it).

I think they've done a fantastic job, and I feel genuinely delighted by their achievement.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » July 31st, 2022, 9:08 pm

mc2fool wrote:
simoan wrote:
nimnarb wrote:
simoan wrote:Strange lack of atmosphere. Can’t remember last time I watched a footie match with no singing. Weird. More like Wimbledon! I guess this is probably normal for women’s football?

I know what's the problem. No beer, slagging off each other, we won the war twice songs, smoke bombs, punch ups, 50 foot gob spits, huge smelly farts. Oh so civilized. Need a few strippers to liven this up. :lol:

Yes, that probably makes a difference but surely the crowd could manage even the simplest “England… England… England” chant that even a Chelsea supporter could manage :)

Uh? What match did you folks watch? And on which channel? Did you have the TV muted? Did you have the volume turned up on your hearing aids? :D

There was a huge amount of noise from the crowd; the commentator [BBC1] even commented on how loud it was. Drums, vuvuzelas, the traditional dum dum dumdumdum dumdumdumdum ENGLAND! chants, etc, etc, etc.

Nothing wrong with my hearing
there were long periods of silence
Nothing wrong with my eyes either, as on several occasions when England won a corner players raised their arms to the crowd to stir them into action and cheer them on

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » July 31st, 2022, 9:14 pm

mc2fool wrote:
simoan wrote:
nimnarb wrote:

Perhaps you don’t watch much football then? Only 24 hours ago I watched Man City and Liverpool play for the Community Shield in a stadium less than half the size and the atmosphere and noise was off the scale compared to this game. Tonight reminded me of the crowd less Premier League games during COVID with AI generated automatic crowd noise. No singing at all. That was my point.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » July 31st, 2022, 9:30 pm

Ok, to further entertain your evening I give you............

https://youtu.be/6m-Rg_qk6aw

https://youtu.be/fo0_xqpzzPY

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » July 31st, 2022, 9:42 pm

pje16 wrote:Nothing wrong with my hearing
Nothing wrong with my eyes either, as on several occasions when England won a corner players raised their arms to the crowd to stir them into action and cheer them on

Then your TV was muted! I only spotted one such "stirring" and it was to get the already noisy crowd even noisier. But if you think there were "long periods of silence" then please review it on iPlayer and give the time indices of those periods so we can compare what we define as "silence" (and "long").

simoan wrote:Perhaps you don’t watch much football then? Only 24 hours ago I watched Man City and Liverpool play for the Community Shield in a stadium half the size and the atmosphere and noise was off the scale compared to this.

I'm sure the BBC commentator who commented on how loud the crowd was watches more than me, but, what, the Community Shield was turned up to more than 11? :D

Just seen Claire Balding commenting on the game and on the crowd, comparing with how "awful the crowd behaviour was" at last year's men's final and how this was a "different feeling ... with no toxicity to it". Maybe that's what you guys mean by "atmosphere"?

Perhaps it should have been the men's game that was banned 100 years ago. ;)

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » July 31st, 2022, 10:04 pm

mc2fool wrote:
pje16 wrote:Nothing wrong with my hearing

Then your TV was muted! I only spotted one such "stirring" and it was to get the already noisy crowd even noisier. But if you think there were "long periods of silence" then please review it on iPlayer and give the time indices of those periods so we can compare what we define as "silence" (and "long").

simoan wrote:Perhaps you don’t watch much football then? Only 24 hours ago I watched Man City and Liverpool play for the Community Shield in a stadium half the size and the atmosphere and noise was off the scale compared to this.

I'm sure the BBC commentator who commented on how loud the crowd was watches more than me, but, what, the Community Shield was turned up to more than 11? :D

Just seen Claire Balding commenting on the game and on the crowd, comparing with how "awful the crowd behaviour was" at last year's men's final and how this was a "different feeling ... with no toxicity to it". Maybe that's what you guys mean by "atmosphere"?

Yes, definitely need some toxicity and more taking shirts off(slow motion playbacks) with great names on shirts as in no 44 (Dorothy doublet) or Perky Wilkins and for goodness sake some of you, lighten up, nobody has made derogatory remarks! Great to see England win, male or female, or androgynous, hermaphroditic, etc, etc.......who give a flying f. And me ears work very well, it was quiet for such an occasion. Did you not see the girls trying to whip up a bit of hysteria? The girls game will now start to get to levels not even thought about and just cos they are girls, don't want to see namby pamby girls scout stuff. Get in there my son(daughter) and create blue murder. How's that for toxicity?
Almost forgot. :D :) ;) :lol: :x :P :twisted: :roll:

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » July 31st, 2022, 10:16 pm

mc2fool wrote:I'm sure the BBC commentator who commented on how loud the crowd was watches more than me, but, what, the Community Shield was turned up to more than 11? :D

So you don’t think the BBC hype machine was in full operation? What does Clare Balding know about any sport that doesn’t require the use of a horse?

And as for her comment I think she needs to reign in the hype and remember where the money and facilities came from to allow women to play football professionally in England in the first place. I’ll give you a clue.. It wasn’t the FA. But notably, the whole squad (apart from one player) consisted of players paid by [expletive deleted], Chelsea, Man United and Man City.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » July 31st, 2022, 10:21 pm

simoan wrote:
mc2fool wrote:I'm sure the BBC commentator who commented on how loud the crowd was watches more than me, but, what, the Community Shield was turned up to more than 11? :D

So you don’t think the BBC hype machine was in full operation? What does Clare Balding know about any sport that doesn’t require the use of a horse?

And as for her comment I think she needs to reign in the hype and remember where the money and facilities came from to allow women to play football professionally in England in the first place. I’ll give you a clue.. It wasn’t the FA. But notably, the whole squad (apart from one player) consisted of players paid by [expletive deleted], Chelsea, Man United and Man City.

OMG! As a Spurs fan I can’t believe the other team in North London (although originally from south of the river) is considered an expletive by TLF. Hilarious! As my grandad used to say: I’m going up the [expletive deleted]!

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » July 31st, 2022, 10:34 pm

BTW I’d just like to add that I thought the BBC commentary was excellent for the game. Way better than having to listen to Jamie Carragher!

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clitheroekid » July 31st, 2022, 11:49 pm

Mike4 wrote:See what I mean?! :D

Yes, but I wish I hadn't.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » August 1st, 2022, 7:30 am

It's just a game of football. It's screwed up TV schedules for the last couple of weeks and now it's over. But we 'll get it on every TV channel every day now for at least the next week.....talking about it, replaying the goals etc.......oh how I hate football.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 1st, 2022, 7:33 am

I hate the way it is being treated as the end of "all the years of hurt"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-62373153
Let's get one thing straight, womens football does NOT replace the mens game

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 1st, 2022, 8:47 am

pje16 wrote:I hate the way it is being treated as the end of "all the years of hurt"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-the-papers-62373153
Let's get one thing straight, womens football does NOT replace the mens game

Maybe not, but it's a jolly good addition. I'm not sure what there is to "hate" but there's plenty to applaud as most with a heart would agree. - And BTW, this isn't just the BBC, but all those newspapers accross the whole spentrum seem to regard this as a pretty good day for English sport and football in particular.

Arb.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 1st, 2022, 8:57 am

Looking back on it, having watched the match in full, I thought it was a game played from the heart, by girls/women who were just playing a game they enjoyed and throwing their whole body and soul into it. None of the cynicism we often get with the men's game and the silly 'tactics and gamesmanship' that often comes with it.

A completely different game of course but entertaining in a different way. I could not care less who was commentating, I was just watching the game.

Dod

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » August 1st, 2022, 9:05 am

Moderator Message:
This board is for the discussion of sports. Any ongoing discussions of gender politics are off topic here and will be deleted

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » August 1st, 2022, 9:08 am

Dod101 wrote:Looking back on it, having watched the match in full, I thought it was a game played from the heart, by girls/women who were just playing a game they enjoyed and throwing their whole body and soul into it. None of the cynicism we often get with the men's game and the silly 'tactics and gamesmanship' that often comes with it

Dod

I'm sorry but there was just as much cynicism as a men's game. Perhaps you do not watch football much, but there was some nasty physicality by the Germans, and really, Stanway should have been sent off for two bookable offences in the first half for nasty mistimed tackles. Also plenty of falling over to win free kicks and penalties when barely touched. It's not quite yet the same as the men's game, but they are learning very fast.

I really enjoyed the match because of the occasion, not because of the quality of football on show, as I have limited time to watch football it will be a long while before I watch another women's game, in the same way that I don't have time to watch lower quality men's football e.g. Scottish, English League 1 and lower.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 1st, 2022, 9:19 am

simoan wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Looking back on it, having watched the match in full, I thought it was a game played from the heart, by girls/women who were just playing a game they enjoyed and throwing their whole body and soul into it. None of the cynicism we often get with the men's game and the silly 'tactics and gamesmanship' that often comes with it

Dod

I'm sorry but there was just as much cynicism as a men's game. Perhaps you do not watch football much, but there was some nasty physicality by the Germans, and really, Stanway should have been sent off for two bookable offences in the first half for nasty mistimed tackles. Also plenty of falling over to win free kicks and penalties when barely touched. It's not quite yet the same as the men's game, but they are learning very fast.

I really enjoyed the match because of the occasion, not because of the quality of football on show, as I have limited time to watch football it will be a long while before I watch another women's game, in the same way that I don't have time to watch lower quality men's football e.g. Scottish, English League 1 and lower.

OK I am not going to argue about it but it was a refreshing watch I thought. I occasionally watch the English premier league men's games and compared to many of these it was a fun game to watch. As I said earlier in this thread there was too much speculative lobbing of the ball forward for my liking, but that may just be the women's game.

Dod

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”