Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Anonymous,bruncher,niord,gvonge,Shelford, for Donating to support the site

Qatar World Cup

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Qatar World Cup

Postby pje16 » November 18th, 2022, 12:05 pm

Nice work if you can get it :roll:

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 18th, 2022, 12:07 pm

No worries - Bud Zero will be readily available.

Or of course if you staying at a Luxury International Hotel in Doha - just ask the concierge for the number of "the room".

T7

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 18th, 2022, 12:19 pm

terminal7 wrote:just ask the concierge for the number of "the room".
T7

As long as it's not 101 :lol:

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 18th, 2022, 12:46 pm

pje16 wrote:World Cup 2022: Beer sales banned at World Cup stadiums in Qatar
(so lucky Scotland didn't qualify) :lol: that's a joke @snorvey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63674631

Dance FIFA, dance!

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 18th, 2022, 12:55 pm

For some reason a quote about the election of Pope Alexander VI springs partially to mind. Something along the lines of '...he sold the Chrurch's indulgences, and they were his to sell for he had paid for them handsomely,'.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 18th, 2022, 4:24 pm

staffordian wrote:
pje16 wrote:World Cup 2022: Beer sales banned at World Cup stadiums in Qatar
(so lucky Scotland didn't qualify) :lol: that's a joke @snorvey
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63674631

Budweiser not best pleased!

And I also read that the hotel that the FIFA top brass were using isn't finished, and they have been put in a "dry" hotel so will have to cope without liberally flowing champagne.

Poetic justice if you ask me :D

Seeing that most people agree that Budweiser is the worst beer on the planet (not true - there was a French beer that was like battery acid) then I don't see many people complaining. Bud tastes like water with a cheap beer flavouring added.

I imagine the Qatar market in hip flasks must be booming! 8-)

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 18th, 2022, 4:49 pm

stevensfo wrote:Seeing that most people agree that Budweiser is the worst beer on the planet (not true - there was a French beer that was like battery acid) then I don't see many people complaining. Bud tastes like water with a cheap beer flavouring added.

I don't like it either. But it is probably the only beer that very bar in America has so you end up drinking it if you spend any time there. And it is served so cold that you can't really taste its bad taste (if you really want to know how bad it is, let it go warm and flat, and then take a sip).

But the idea that Bud in particular, and American beers in general, are weak and watery is a bit wide of the mark. Regular Bud has an ABV of 5%, higher than most English ordinary bitters. Even Bud Light is around 4.2% ABV. So it is a myth that you can't get drunk on it. Or that it can legally be served to children in a British pub.

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » November 18th, 2022, 5:08 pm

BobbyD wrote:
You can debate the merits and demerits of selling property to notable Qataris on the open market but it is nothing close to a straight comparison to the organisation which is supposed to operate in the best interests of football awarding the hosting of a major international tournament to a small non-footballing country, whose atitudes to alcohol and LGBT matters were bound to cause frictions with significant parts of the world

Certainly those parts of the World that enjoy a drinking culture and all that goes with it. And those parts of the World that are actively encouraging children to embark on a path leading to bodily mutilation.

BoE

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » November 18th, 2022, 5:09 pm

Lootman wrote:
stevensfo wrote:Seeing that most people agree that Budweiser is the worst beer on the planet (not true - there was a French beer that was like battery acid) then I don't see many people complaining. Bud tastes like water with a cheap beer flavouring added.

I don't like it either. But it is probably the only beer that very bar in America has so you end up drinking it if you spend any time there. And it is served so cold that you can't really taste its bad taste (if you really want to know how bad it is, let it go warm and flat, and then take a sip).

But the idea that Bud in particular, and American beers in general, are weak and watery is a bit wide of the mark. Regular Bud has an ABV of 5%, higher than most English ordinary bitters. Even Bud Light is around 4.2% ABV. So it is a myth that you can't get drunk on it. Or that it can legally be served to children in a British pub.

Yes, I know most British bitters are quite weak in alcohol, but I do love them. I have never heard anyone say that Bud can be served to children in a pub. Maybe some fake news deliberately spread by competitors?

For lager beers, my preference is for smaller volumes but strong! In Poland, they have a huge selection of Piwo Mocne (Strong beer). I learned the hard way many years ago that it's not suitable for hot summer days! ;)

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 18th, 2022, 5:24 pm

stevensfo wrote:For lager beers, my preference is for smaller volumes but strong! In Poland, they have a huge selection of Piwo Mocne (Strong beer). I learned the hard way many years ago that it's not suitable for hot summer days! ;)

The drunkest I have been in the last few years was at an outdoor Alice In Chains concert. It was 37 degrees C and so I was slugging down a local beer that, unbeknown to me, was 8.2% ABV.

I have been more careful since that night, as I am getting too old to get legless.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 18th, 2022, 8:18 pm

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 18th, 2022, 8:30 pm

Snorvey wrote:
Lootman wrote:
stevensfo wrote:For lager beers, my preference is for smaller volumes but strong! In Poland, they have a huge selection of Piwo Mocne (Strong beer). I learned the hard way many years ago that it's not suitable for hot summer days! ;)

The drunkest I have been in the last few years was at an outdoor Alice In Chains concert. It was 37 degrees C and so I was slugging down a local beer that, unbeknown to me, was 8.2% ABV.

I have been more careful since that night, as I am getting too old to get legless.

Lootie you rocker. I always had you down as a Don McLean type.

More Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen. But the last two shows I saw were Alice in Chains and Temple of the Dog (shortly before Chris Cornell died). But yeah, more into grunge and heavy metal.

British bands too - Radiohead and Bush in the last decade.

But yeah, I don't do many gigs any more, too freaking old. But every now and then I like to take my kids along to a show,

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 18th, 2022, 10:26 pm

Lasts Longest: Qatar 2022 or Twitter?

Fans who have travelled to Qatar as part of a controversial paid-for supporters programme have been told by Qatari authorities that their cash has been cut.

The Fan Leader Network is a scheme run by the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy, the Qatari agency responsible for the World Cup. It has recruited supporters from around the globe, offering travel and accommodation and a place at the World Cup opening ceremony in return for enthusiasm and positive social media content. But the Guardian can reveal that a per diem payment for food and drink, upon which some supporters were depending, was cancelled just as fans were packing to travel to the Gulf.

Members of the Fan Leader Network from two European countries said their payments had been cancelled three days ago and that authorities had blamed the decision on the bad press which followed the revelation that fans were being paid.

- https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -cancelled

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 19th, 2022, 9:37 am

"They think it's all sober...it is now!

Apparently a tabloid headline.

John

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 20th, 2022, 1:40 pm

WHAT a joke

“It costs about £175 a night. To be honest it wasn't what I expected. When you see the pictures and read the description – and it's a FIFA World Cup - you expect a little bit of quality,” said Pedro.

“This is like a sub-par hostel that you can find backpacking across the world.”

Just look at the photo of the bedroom
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63690765

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » November 20th, 2022, 3:29 pm

I've put a few bob on Qatar to beat Ecuador this afternoon at 14-5.

Qatar aren't that bad a team; they won the 2019 Asian Cup. There are reports about serious money being paid to most of the Ecuador team to throw the match. Ecuador's players aren't wealthy by football standards and Asian match fixers are going to be very interested in a World Cup that's taking place on their patch.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/world-cup/match-fixing-bribery-claim-rocks-opening-world-cup-game-between-qatar-and-ecuador/news-story/7841f4999328b7df79fd9cd7594691a0

Qatar is a highly corrupt nation which won the competition to host the 2022 World Cup through dodgy means, the followed up by reneging on many of it promises whilst FIFA did nothing.

Then again, FIFA is also very corrupt; I wouldn't put it past FIFA to fix the match in order to please the hosts. Qatar were awarded an extremely large number of dodgy penalties in their warmup matches. Maybe getting in some practice.

To paraphrase Jim Rolyle; The beautiful game, my [expletive deleted].
Last edited by SalvorHardin on November 20th, 2022, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 20th, 2022, 3:31 pm

pje16 wrote:WHAT a joke

“It costs about £175 a night. To be honest it wasn't what I expected. When you see the pictures and read the description – and it's a FIFA World Cup - you expect a little bit of quality,” said Pedro.

Qatar only spent around $220 Billion on the world cup. What do you expect for that sort of money?

I'm beginning to wonder if they put Elon in charge...

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 20th, 2022, 3:35 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Image

Source - https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/0/matt-cartoons-november-2022/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I agree. If I was out there I'd need to drink a lot to dull my conscience. Eric Dier when interviewed yesterday said that supporters didn't need to drink to make a good atmosphere in the stadium. That may be true, but what he forgot is that Spurs fans need a few beers to quell the anxiety of watching him defend :) It says a lot about the lack of quality in the England defence that he is even there.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 20th, 2022, 3:51 pm

BobbyD wrote:

Qatar only spent around $220 Billion on the world cup. What do you expect for that sort of money?

I didn't realise you were being sarcastic :D

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 20th, 2022, 4:00 pm

pje16 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

I didn't realise you were being sarcastic :D

...and those are just the above the table expenditures.

It would make some form of sense if it was the finely honed tip of a coordinated campaign to put the country on the World tourism map, polish their public image etc. but then you might have thought about making sure the facilities were actually built, fulfilling your promises with regards to hospitality...

As far as I can tell their only real target is to make FIFA look as big a mug as possible. Still, everyone has to have a hobby.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”