Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Green Card

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
forrado
2 Lemon pips

Green Card

Postby forrado » June 4th, 2018, 9:49 pm

Perhaps previously better known too many as the means by which a non-USA citizen (otherwise known as an alien) is authorized to live and work in the USA. Green Card is now seemingly set to become part of lexicon of football (or soccer if you prefer) with the news that the first player to be shown a green card recently took place in London during a CONFIFA tournament for non-FIFA affiliated teams played on non-league grounds …

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/referee-shows-footballs-first-ever-green-card-to-discipline-player-the-new-sanction-explained/ar-AAyb8Ym?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=mailsignout

Apparently, the introduction of a green card to that of the yellow and red cards referees currently have at their disposal is an effort to eliminate the problem of dissent. As I understand it a player being shown a green card must leave the field of play and a substitute allowed on as a replacement on condition that all the substitutes have not been used. Furthermore, unlike a player being red-carded, no automatic period of next game(s) suspension will apply.

I can see the merit of such a green card move if adopted. Why permanently penalise a team during the course of a game by reducing their number by one or more just because dissenting mouths can’t be kept shut within earshot of the referee.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Green Card

Postby didds » June 5th, 2018, 9:35 am

alternatively it means (though I can;t think of a benefit!) as long as substitutes are available (notwithstanding tactical caveats etc) a team has carte blanche (see what i did there?) to abuse the referee.

(overall though its certainly worth a trial)

didds

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”