Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Liverpool 1 - Napoli 0

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
simoan
Lemon Quarter

Re: Liverpool 1 - Napoli 0

Postby simoan » December 18th, 2018, 8:03 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Interesting, as a neutral party, that the main Liverpool fan here was able to appreciate and congratulate the Tottenham achievement.

Whereas, the main Spurs fan here only wanted to congratulate their own effort.

And yet they wonder why everyone hates Spurs . . .

HYD

Good to see you're still as reliable as ever - claiming neutrality about Spurs as a Dirty Hammer Hahahahahahaha! Oh, my splitting sides. Next you'll be telling me Trump is impartial when it comes to immigration at the US-Mexican border...

And of course, everyone loves West Ham fans...

Si

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » December 18th, 2018, 8:58 am

simoan wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Interesting, as a neutral party, that the main Liverpool fan here was able to appreciate and congratulate the Tottenham achievement.

Whereas, the main Spurs fan here only wanted to congratulate their own effort.

And yet they wonder why everyone hates Spurs . . .

HYD

Good to see you're still as reliable as ever - claiming neutrality about Spurs as a Dirty Hammer Hahahahahahaha! Oh, my splitting sides.

Guess you didn't read the whole thread then Si. As per usual.

HYD

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 18th, 2018, 11:10 am

Howyoudoin wrote:Guess you didn't read the whole thread then Si. As per usual.

HYD

And neither did you read anything I wrote before replying - just like the "good" old days on TMF Footie Fools, eh? Anyway, nostalgia's not what it used to be, and I don't miss it.

Si

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 18th, 2018, 4:20 pm

simoan wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Thanks Si, but Klopp's been at Liverpool for three years - do you have any net-spend figures for that whole three-year period?

I think the year before Coutinho went to Barca so 17/18 was likely positive or break even.

I think the biggest debt was definitely last summer.

You should be able to check previous seasons in Transfermarket. It would not surprise me if the Klopp net spend was over £100m though.

Hi Si,

Just to clarify then, were your numerous comments regarding Klopp's spending only really regarding what he spent last summer?

Does net-spend on transfers since coming to the club not amount to a better picture for comparison between different clubs over the same timescale?

I'm not sure it's really all that fair to shine a light on what was admittedly a very large amount of money to spend on last summer's signings, but also ignoring that it was almost all generated from the sale of Coutinho in the previous season.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » December 18th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:
simoan wrote:
Itsallaguess wrote:
Thanks Si, but Klopp's been at Liverpool for three years - do you have any net-spend figures for that whole three-year period?

I think the year before Coutinho went to Barca so 17/18 was likely positive or break even.

I think the biggest debt was definitely last summer.

You should be able to check previous seasons in Transfermarket. It would not surprise me if the Klopp net spend was over £100m though.

Hi Si,

Just to clarify then, were your numerous comments regarding Klopp's spending only really regarding what he spent last summer?

Does net-spend on transfers since coming to the club not amount to a better picture for comparison between different clubs over the same timescale?

I'm not sure it's really all that fair to shine a light on what was admittedly a very large amount of money to spend on last summer's signings, but also ignoring that it was almost all generated from the sale of Coutinho in the previous season.....

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I wouldn't hold your breath for a reply IAAG. Apparently he 'remembers' the old TMF Board well, doesn't miss it, and I was one of the 'Dirty Hammers' on that Board. I think Alzheimers might have set in.

Almost makes you pine for the return of CaptainBlade for some proper banter doesn't it?

HYD

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » December 31st, 2018, 7:11 am

simoan wrote:

I think the biggest debt was definitely last summer. You should be able to check previous seasons in Transfermarkt.

It would not surprise me if the Klopp net spend was over £100m though.

Hi Si,

Not sure if you're coming back to this thread or not, but I've just found an interesting chart on the Liverpool Reddit site that sums up my thoughts on this issue, and specifically regarding net-spend over a number of years being much more important than any particular season -

As you can see from the above, Klopp has done really well in the transfer market during his time at the club, making the very most of the very shrewd business they carried out with the sale of Coutinho in the 17/18 season.

URL here for a larger version of the above chart - https://i.redd.it/yvrqj34h2i721.jpg

Clearly this information helps to justify my argument with regards to Liverpool, but it's also clear, especially given recent results and their current standing in the table, that Spurs deserve huge credit for the performance-to-cost delivery this season. I think they may have been an unfortunate victim of the Christmas schedule rather than anything else, regarding the Wolves defeat, as can be seen here - https://tinyurl.com/y7xvu3ce

Credit to @emanuel_ivan94 for the above information.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » December 31st, 2018, 11:36 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Hi Si,

Not sure if you're coming back to this thread or not,

Well, I wasn't planning to and hadn't bookmarked it but got notified somehow!

Itsallaguess wrote:As you can see from the above, Klopp has done really well in the transfer market during his time at the club, making the very most of the very shrewd business they carried out with the sale of Coutinho in the 17/18 season.

Yes, I wasn't doubting that. I just think Maurice has done slightly better with even less, especially when you add the wage bill into the equation. When you look at the net transfer spend compared to the other teams though, it shows both our teams in a pretty good light, particularly with the type of football they are playing. The net spend of the Manchester clubs is totally insane. FFP is a joke isn't it? And you'd think the Woolwich mob could have got themselves a half decent defence with that kind of outlay. I also suspect there are teams outside the top 6 who have a higher net spend than us e.g. Everton, and a certain team I will not mention.

Itsallaguess wrote:Clearly this information helps to justify my argument with regards to Liverpool, but it's also clear, especially given recent results and their current standing in the table, that Spurs deserve huge credit for the performance-to-cost delivery this season. I think they may have been an unfortunate victim of the Christmas schedule rather than anything else, regarding the Wolves defeat, as can be seen here - https://tinyurl.com/y7xvu3ce

Yes, Spurs and Everton have had a pretty tough Xmas schedule thanks to Sky. And this doesn't even show the fact we have an FA Cup match this Friday night (4th Jan) too. Of course, this situation could have been alleviated by having a stronger squad, or even a central midfield would have been nice... The second half against Wolves was obviously a bridge too far and our lack of energy made them look like Barcelona. And from a personal perspective it couldn't have happened in a worse match as my other half is a Wolves fan :(!

Happy New Year! It should be for LIverpool :-)
Si

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » January 2nd, 2019, 4:00 pm

simoan wrote:Yes, Spurs and Everton have had a pretty tough Xmas schedule thanks to Sky. And this doesn't even show the fact we have an FA Cup match this Friday night (4th Jan) too. Of course, this situation could have been alleviated by having a stronger squad, or even a central midfield would have been nice...

The squad is, I think, the strongest it has ever been and some of the less experienced players who have come in have done really well, Foyth for example has (mainly!) performed well and has earnt an Argentinina call up as a result. Perennially of course we are short of cover for Kane and perhaps to a lesser extent Alli. Llorente is apparently on his way to Turkey and if so, good luck to him. Kane has been so strong over the last couple of seasons that other strikers have been getting too few game minutes to allow them to perform at their peak. We still have Janssen of course.

Its part of the game, but we have suffered quite badly from injuries this season, currently missing Vertonghen, Lamela, Dier, Aurier, Wanyama, and Dembele, as well as the aforementioned Janssen.

Lets see how we do in January without Sonny.

DM

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » January 2nd, 2019, 5:26 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
simoan wrote:Yes, Spurs and Everton have had a pretty tough Xmas schedule thanks to Sky. And this doesn't even show the fact we have an FA Cup match this Friday night (4th Jan) too. Of course, this situation could have been alleviated by having a stronger squad, or even a central midfield would have been nice...

The squad is, I think, the strongest it has ever been and some of the less experienced players who have come in have done really well, Foyth for example has (mainly!) performed well and has earnt an Argentinina call up as a result. Perennially of course we are short of cover for Kane and perhaps to a lesser extent Alli. Llorente is apparently on his way to Turkey and if so, good luck to him. Kane has been so strong over the last couple of seasons that other strikers have been getting too few game minutes to allow them to perform at their peak. We still have Janssen of course.

Its part of the game, but we have suffered quite badly from injuries this season, currently missing Vertonghen, Lamela, Dier, Aurier, Wanyama, and Dembele, as well as the aforementioned Janssen.

Lets see how we do in January without Sonny.

DM

Whilst I don't want to hijack a thread about LIverpool... some people may consider the current Spurs squad the strongest ever, which superficially it may be, but the point I was making is that it is not strong enough when compared to the other top 6 teams even when everyone is fit. Yes, we have a few injuries but the bench against Wolves was embarrassingly weak.

FWIW Dembele and Wanyama are both finished at Spurs - the former has a well documented hip problem, can't play more than one game per week and will not get a new contract, and the latter, by all accounts, has a shagged out knee joint not unlike dear old Ledley's. The trouble is the club knew this back in the summer and nothing was done to strengthen because they couldn't move either of them on. Then again, maybe if they weren't pre-occupied sorting out the balls-up with the emergency system wiring of the new stadium something could have been done.

And now we're looking to shift Llorente in January whilst Son is away at the Asia Cup? Cue Harry Kane getting injured. I would say you couldn't make it up, but you don't have to where the management of Spurs is concerned. The point remains that Maurice has done an amazing job this season and last under pretty intolerable circumstances both on and off the pitch.

All the best, Si

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”