Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Solskjær appointed interim Man Utd Manager

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Solskjær appointed interim Man Utd Manager

Postby PinkDalek » March 9th, 2019, 4:20 pm

I too am a Manchester United supporter, I merely keep it quiet on here!

The comments about Solskjær‘s time at Cardiff did worry me when posted. I’m still not convinced the upsurge is all down to him. It is more that having quite so may prima donnas at one club is unlikely to help. Getting rid of the Special One of them was the correct step. Whoever took his place (within reason) would have found a more relaxed squad eager to earn their wages.

Not knocking Ole Gunnar by the way, I’ve always liked him.

HBEN

Postby HBEN » April 2nd, 2019, 11:46 am

Our Boss is permanent now! OLE OLE OLE!

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » April 2nd, 2019, 5:44 pm

HBEN wrote:Our Boss is permanent now! OLE OLE OLE!

Let's see what happens when/if he has some control over transfers. If the 17 duds he signed for Cardiff are anything to go by things will not go as well as some think. However he has done well so far so perhaps he has learned from his earlier Premier League experience. I think the fact he has Phelan alongside him is a massive plus.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » April 21st, 2019, 4:52 pm

Oops.

Two days after Solskjaer laid into ‘some’ of his players for not trying hard enough, he got a response on the pitch.

And it wasn’t a good response. United went down 0-4 ina pathetic display away to Everton.

That’s now 6 defeats in the last 8 games.

Seems like the toxic atmosphere that was there under Mourinho has returned.

Either that or Solskjaer was never that good in the first place. Sorry to say I told you so . . .

HYD

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » April 22nd, 2019, 6:27 pm

Dod101 wrote:I agree PD but as a supporter of Man United I cannot resist the comment after the Wednesday game. Apologies to Mike88 if I have upset him. At least he is now famous with me if no one else.

Dod

Aplologies accepted even though Solksjaer is not proving to be the saviour some thought. My earlier comments were based on my experience as a fan of a club Solksjaer managed badly. Solksjaer's previous record in the Premier League is poor and he virtually bankrupted my club in the process with his erratic signings. He acquired 17 dud players with absolutely no idea where to play them. He was and remains a laughing stock with Cardiff City fans.

Manchester Utd have now lost 7 of their last 9 games and the fans adoration of their new man must be wearing thin. The last time they lost 4 in a row was nearly 60 years ago. Reading the riot act has resulted in their largest defeat for some time.

The impression is that the players are running the club and Solsksjaer's weak character is unable to control them. The toxic atmosphere under Mourinho has returned. They got rid off the previous incumbent and perhaps it's now Solskjaer's turn.

Perhaps my infamy with Dod101 makes me less famous in view of recent events. However to improve matters Solksjaer has asked the Board for £200m for new players. He may well turn things around but his past record places me firmly in the sceptical camp where I have always been.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » April 22nd, 2019, 6:45 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:... Either that or Solskjaer was never that good in the first place. Sorry to say I told you so . . .

Where did you tell us so? :D

Not going well recently but they are still only 3 points off the top 3. The other managers must all be rubbish, obviously.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » April 22nd, 2019, 6:59 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:... Either that or Solskjaer was never that good in the first place. Sorry to say I told you so . . .

Not going well recently but they are still only 3 points off the top 3. The other managers must all be rubbish, obviously.

I told Dodd so here: viewtopic.php?p=202272#p202272

As did Mike88 many many times.

I think Google should direct anyone who searches for ‘he who laughs last, laughs longest’ to this thread and Mike88 in particular.

HYD

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » April 22nd, 2019, 7:06 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

Aha, on a different thread, where you would appear to have been hedging your bets. ;)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 22nd, 2019, 7:32 pm

Mike88 wrote:Perhaps my infamy with Dod101 makes me less famous in view of recent events. However to improve matters Solksjaer has asked the Board for £200m for new players. He may well turn things around but his past record places me firmly in the sceptical camp where I have always been.

I was thinking about you when I was watching the abject performance from Man U yesterday afternoon, and that you might in the long run be proved right! It seems pretty obvious that the first reaction was 'Anyone but Mourinho' . Now Solksjaer has to prove that he is the best manager but the omens are certainly poor for that t the moment. £200 million does not sound a lot to rebuild this team, although they should do well out of the inevitable sales. However I wonder if Woodward is not the real problem. He is clearly a lackey of the owners who have no football knowledge or interest. David Gill and Fergie were a very powerful pair and presumably were allowed to get on with it. That is what is seems to me that is now lacking.

I think we need to give Solksjaer time but who knows?

Dod

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » April 22nd, 2019, 7:37 pm

Mike88 wrote:The impression is that the players are running the club and Solsksjaer's weak character is unable to control them. The toxic atmosphere under Mourinho has returned. They got rid off the previous incumbent and perhaps it's now Solskjaer's turn.

Ole isn't the problem. The gossip I've been hearing from people who are closer to ground zero than me is that the current malaise kicked off a few days after the PSG away leg because of player contract offers compared to what Sanchez is being paid.

Sanchez is reckoned to be on twice the money of our next best paid player. Yet his form since arriving doesn't justify a place on the bench never mind the first eleven. But his salary has set a new benchmark for everyone else (and pissed them off). He's probably our worst transfer of all time.

De Gea, who's been our best player by a mile since Fergie left, asked for something like parity with Sanchez and was told to sod off. Herrera asked for a big rise, but not outrageous compared to Sanchez, and was also told where to go. So he is rumoured to be going to PSG on a free in the summer. Mata too is leaving due to not being given a similar rise.

The three of them are very pally and De Gea is thought to be seriously fed up with his mates being given the push. In the meantime several English players have been given new contracts. The Spaniards are understandably pissed off with this.

Martial was given a big rise, using Sanchez as a benchmark, so Rashford wants parity with Martial

Pogba wants more money, or a transfer to Barcelona or Madrid, or PSG.

Our transfer policy has been a mess for years, it seems to be driven by getting players who create social media buzz than for what they do on the pitch. Sure, we've got several players who should move on but most clubs have something similar - ours are paid too much so it is hard to find someone to take them on without us subsidising their fee / salary.

The CEO is the one who needs to be replaced, or at least restricted to getting noodle and tractor partners rather than negotiating transfers and contracts. We need a director of football for that.

If Mourinho was still there we'd have been stuffed by PSG and would now be fighting for tenth place rather than two points off fourth.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » April 22nd, 2019, 7:43 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

Aha, on a different thread, where you would appear to have been hedging your bets. ;)

I said we'll see how good Solskjaer is when the same players who refused to play under Mourinho, refuse to play under him.

That seems to be happening now, by Solskjaer's own admission.

If you read that post as I was somehow 'hedging my bets' then so be it.

I have no beef with United. I'd rather them or [expletive deleted] make the Top 4 than Chelsea but yesterday's results were bizarre in the extreme.

HYD

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: Solskjær appointed Man Utd Manager

Postby PinkDalek » April 22nd, 2019, 7:51 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:

I said we'll see how good Solskjaer is when the same players who refused to play under Mourinho, refuse to play under him.

You said If (when?) these same players decide to take a dislike to Solskjaer and refuse to play well, do you think he will fare any better as manager of Man Utd?. That's why I though you were hedging, correctly as it happens.

Looks like the word on the street (aka SalvorHardin's gossip) is they don't dislike the Baby-faced Assassin.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » April 22nd, 2019, 8:01 pm

PinkDalek wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:
PinkDalek wrote:

You said If (when?) these same players decide to take a dislike to Solskjaer and refuse to play well, do you think he will fare any better as manager of Man Utd?. That's why I though you were hedging, correctly as it happens.

Looks like the word on the street (aka SalvorHardin's gossip) is they don't dislike the Baby-faced Assassin.

Wow, not sure how you read into that I was hedging my bets but if you think that, I'll live.

One thing is for sure. If the players HAVEN'T fallen out with the Manager, and they're still putting in these 'couldn't care less' performances, they need to get rid of the players/attitude before the Manager.

And that ain't as easy as just sacking Solksjaer.

HYD

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » April 22nd, 2019, 8:41 pm

I was having a bit of banter, on a hot afternoon. Glad to hear you'll live. It's only football after all.

Prima donnas mostly.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » April 22nd, 2019, 10:17 pm

Sounds to me like he has recognised the problem. There are prima donnas at MU and they need to be sold off. Fergie wasn't adverse to doing so and I've a feeling Solskjær may just be the same. He may just be tougher that he looks. It'll be interesting. As it is I'm sure he has the backing of the fans which will help to deal with the 'divas' in the squad.

HBEN

Postby HBEN » April 24th, 2019, 7:29 am

Mike88 wrote:
HBEN wrote:Our Boss is permanent now! OLE OLE OLE!

Let's see what happens when/if he has some control over transfers. If the 17 duds he signed for Cardiff are anything to go by things will not go as well as some think. However he has done well so far so perhaps he has learned from his earlier Premier League experience. I think the fact he has Phelan alongside him is a massive plus.

Indeed.. the recent run is awful but I don't blame Ole for this mess. Its all players fault. They switch off completely! We need a overhaul.

Phelan to be DOF at MUFC? Reading a lot about it these days..

HBEN

Postby HBEN » April 24th, 2019, 7:32 am

De Gea, Pobga, Matic, Herrera, Rojo, Valencia(who already left), Mata are most probably leaving this summer. We'll have a good budget and a requirement of fresh blood to fill in these pos.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » April 25th, 2019, 4:14 pm

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » April 25th, 2019, 4:50 pm

To all those doubters of Solskjaer it looks as if they could be right, and he needs to do a Fergie and let the prima donnas know that no player is bigger than the club. I hope that De Gea stays but his contract needs sorting and he probably needs to rest, but Pogba has to go and Matic is pretty well invisible. Valencia is going which is a pity as he has been a loyal servant even if not brilliant. We need more players like Shaw who works very hard. What of Lukaku? He simply does not seem to fit.

Should be interesting to watch over the summer.

Dod

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » May 13th, 2019, 11:51 am

Cardiff City fans are saying after yesterday's result:

"It took 5 years but Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has finally got Cardiff playing well.."

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”