Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Solskjær appointed interim Man Utd Manager

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Solskjær appointed interim Man Utd Manager

Postby Howyoudoin » December 19th, 2018, 9:27 am

Didn't see that one coming . . .

https://twitter.com/ManUtd?ref_src=twsr ... r%5Eauthor

We can confirm that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been appointed as caretaker manager until the end of the 2018/19 season.

He will be joined by Mike Phelan as first-team coach, together with Michael Carrick and Kieran McKenna. #MUFC

HYD

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Re: Solskjær appointed interim Man Utd Manager

Postby Mike88 » December 19th, 2018, 9:37 am

I can't see that working out. His managerial experience in the Premier League has been poor having led Cardiff City to relegation. During his tenure he assembled a mix bag of players with no idea where to play them. Tactically he was useless and most of my season ticket counterparts regarded him as the worst manager we have ever had and there was unanimous applause around the City when he was sacked. Coincidentally Manchester Utd play Cardiff on Saturday.

This managerial appointment seems to me to be rather a knee jerk reaction thinking that anyone was better than the previous incumbent. It would have been far better to have employed as interim manager someone like Steve Bruce or Gary Neville (despite earlier failings in Spain) who at least know the Premier League.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » December 23rd, 2018, 4:58 pm

Not such a bad start though......

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » December 31st, 2018, 8:07 am

Leothebear wrote:Not such a bad start though......

I was at the match and have to say Manchester United were really really good. Looks as though I shall have to eat my words especially as they have also done very well since.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » December 31st, 2018, 9:20 am

Mike88 wrote:I can't see that working out. His managerial experience in the Premier League has been poor having led Cardiff City to relegation. During his tenure he assembled a mix bag of players with no idea where to play them. Tactically he was useless and most of my season ticket counterparts regarded him as the worst manager we have ever had and there was unanimous applause around the City when he was sacked. Coincidentally Manchester Utd play Cardiff on Saturday.

This managerial appointment seems to me to be rather a knee jerk reaction thinking that anyone was better than the previous incumbent. It would have been far better to have employed as interim manager someone like Steve Bruce or Gary Neville (despite earlier failings in Spain) who at least know the Premier League.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Famous last words, although none of the three wins under Ole's tenure has been exactly demanding. Under Mourinho though, they would probably have struggled and these games have given Solskaer the chance to try out the team under his style of play. Pogba and Rashford were wonderful yesterday. The really sad thing is that Mourinho had a good team but alienated them one by one with his lack of man management and the stifling style of play demanded by him.

See how they do from now on. Spurs on 13 Jan looks like to be a good test.

Dod

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » December 31st, 2018, 5:03 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Mike88 wrote:I can't see that working out. His managerial experience in the Premier League has been poor having led Cardiff City to relegation. During his tenure he assembled a mix bag of players with no idea where to play them. Tactically he was useless and most of my season ticket counterparts regarded him as the worst manager we have ever had and there was unanimous applause around the City when he was sacked. Coincidentally Manchester Utd play Cardiff on Saturday.

Ha! Ha! Ha! Famous last words, although none of the three wins under Ole's tenure has been exactly demanding. Under Mourinho though, they would probably have struggled and these games have given Solskaer the chance to try out the team under his style of play. Pogba and Rashford were wonderful yesterday. The really sad thing is that Mourinho had a good team but alienated them one by one with his lack of man management and the stifling style of play demanded by him.

See how they do from now on. Spurs on 13 Jan looks like to be a good test.

Dod

I admitted the error of my ways in my later post - see above. Horses for courses I guess although as you say greater tests lie ahead.

robbelg
Lemon Slice

Postby robbelg » January 1st, 2019, 1:43 pm

I'm not a football fan - all I know is from sports reports during TV news.

But he's my favourite manager because he's unique in a) smiling b) speaking in coherent sentences

Rob.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 6th, 2019, 7:21 am

Solskjaer is not doing too badly as a manager is he?

Dod

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » January 6th, 2019, 8:41 am

Dod101 wrote:Solskjaer is not doing too badly as a manager is he?

Dod

As Mike88 has hinted, we'll have a better idea of Utd's progress under Solskjaer when they play Spurs next week.

Don't think Solskjaer has had to do too much though. Just throw off the attacking constraints and personal grudges that perennial moaner Mourinho had inflicted on the team.

Whether that's enough for them to become a top 4 side again this season or next remains to be seen.

HYD

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 6th, 2019, 9:42 am

Yes I agree. The Spurs game will be a good test. It is amazing though how poor Mourinho was at man management.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 13th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Well we now have a better idea about Solskaer. Pretty good I'd say. Particularly in the first half Man United were superb. In the second half they were predictably hit hard by Spurs but everyone more or less kept their cool and De Gea once again was the hero.

Solskaer is playing himself into the permanent job.

What on earth was Mourinho doing? This is exactly the same team.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 13th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Sorry about misspelling the name Solskjaer. He deserves to get it spelled out correctly.

Dod

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » January 13th, 2019, 8:42 pm

I can't forgive Solskjaer for playing a significant part in ruining my club but have to admit he is doing a good job at Manchester Utd. In the week I heard him say on the radio that he had no control or say over the transfer budget or transfers at Man Utd and that is probably a good thing as his previous record of overseeing signings (numbering 17, mostly misfits) in the Premier league for Cardiff City was an abysmal failure. I thought Man Utd were very good today so the fans must be happy and must now see Solskjaer to be in the driving seat for the permanent manager's job.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 25th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Mike88 wrote:I can't forgive Solskjaer for playing a significant part in ruining my club but have to admit he is doing a good job at Manchester Utd.

Solskjaer is not doing a good job at Manchester United. He is doing an amazing job. 8 wins from 8 games is fantastic by any measure. I do not suppose anyone would have foreseen that. All the more amazing considering how poor a season Mourinho was having with exactly the same team.

With these fast running breaks we saw this evening, it is like the Manchester United of old, wonderful to watch if you are a supporter.

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » January 25th, 2019, 10:53 pm

Dod101 wrote:
Mike88 wrote:I can't forgive Solskjaer for playing a significant part in ruining my club but have to admit he is doing a good job at Manchester Utd.

Solskjaer is not doing a good job at Manchester United. He is doing an amazing job. 8 wins from 8 games is fantastic by any measure. I do not suppose anyone would have foreseen that. All the more amazing considering how poor a season Mourinho was having with exactly the same team.

With these fast running breaks we saw this evening, it is like the Manchester United of old, wonderful to watch if you are a supporter.

Dod

I wonder how much of the transformation is due to Carrick and Phelan? Not trying to take anything away from OGS though

--kiloran

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 25th, 2019, 10:58 pm

Well I was glad to see Mike Phelan back although I had my misgivings because I am not a great believer in turning the clock back. Carrick of course was there whilst Mourinho was but with Mourinho's character Carrick may not have had much say. Anyway it appears that they make a great management team.

Dod

Bronty

Postby Bronty » February 4th, 2019, 7:52 pm

First post for a loooong time - I wonder if my last one coincided with Man Utd being good ;-)

Is Solskjaer the right choice for permanent manager ? Who knows, I think it depends on the bigger picture - apparently MU are looking to overhaul the entire structure and want to appoint a Director of Football to oversee scouting, recruitment and youth development.

If thats the case I see no reason why Solskjaer can't do it, but the key being his support team - for me that was Moyes first and biggest mistake, sacking a league winning coaching staff to replace with his own.

But what has he actually done ? The biggest clue was in his first press conference when he said he wanted the players to 'take risks' - clearly they were scared of making mistakes under Jose and so played too cautiously (hence Matic etc passing forwards now !!). The other thing he has done is told the full backs to push up (again taking a risk by leaving gaps at the back).

It seems so simple in hindsight, but now we can see that the players were there, just being used badly.

Cheers
Bronty

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 9th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Poor Mike88's comment above deserves to go down in history, just like Alan Hansen's 'You can't win anything with kids' in 1995.

Dod

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » March 9th, 2019, 3:47 pm

Dod101 wrote:Poor Mike88's comment above deserves to go down in history, just like Alan Hansen's 'You can't win anything with kids' in 1995.

Dod

Mike88 has twice admitted he may have been in error. Including Looks as though I shall have to eat my words especially as they have also done very well since.. It doesn’t seem difficult to me to accept such a comment, rather than continue to take the ...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » March 9th, 2019, 4:04 pm

I agree PD but as a supporter of Man United I cannot resist the comment after the Wednesday game. Apologies to Mike88 if I have upset him. At least he is now famous with me if no one else.

Dod

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”