Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

The Greatest

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Greatest

Postby Leothebear » October 21st, 2019, 2:40 pm

Rapid decline though wasn't it. I'll soon be reading his autobiography. Maybe that'll shed some light on what led to from being the most feared fighter in history to one that most decent heavyweights could defeat.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » October 21st, 2019, 3:56 pm

Possibly the best Ali fight was the one against Cleveland Williams who had 51 KOs on his resume but barely landed a punch, he lasted about 8 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJUzl0aFHZw

RC

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Postby stewamax » October 21st, 2019, 9:04 pm

Being ‘The Greatest’ is, to me at any rate, not just what you achieve but how – the apparent ease and elegance – with which you achieve it.
In another sphere, I am (just) old enough to have seen JM Fangio drive F1 and many times watched Jim Clark drive F1, saloon cars and just about anything with four wheels: driving on exactly the same line again and again, apparently effortless. Just beautiful.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » October 21st, 2019, 10:19 pm

Snorvey wrote:Ali was probably the greatest heavyweight boxer ever, but Iron Mike Tyson was definitely the greatest heavyweight fighter.

...And could probably still demolish the current crop of 'Champions'

https://talksport.com/sport/boxing/6167 ... power/amp/

Whether you think Ali was the GOAT or Tyson probably depends on whether you want to see a great fight or a three round knockdown.

I guess we’ll never know whether Tyson would’ve beaten Ali but given the way that both careers went, my money would be on Ali 9 times out of ten.

HYD

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 10th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Ali had his best years lost because he refuse the draft.
Ali had big trouble with Joe Frazier - a similar stature to MT. So Tyson at his best could have beaten Ali past his prime.
Ali at 23 would have been too quick and clever for Tyson. IMHO

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 13th, 2019, 3:28 pm

I read MT's autobiography. Not the best writing but it sheds light on what drove him. Born and raised in the poorest area of Brooklyn NY he was a fatherless kid, then a young villain until he discovered boxing. He flourished whilst under Cus D'Amato's influence. Cus took him to glory and to a level where he was easily the most feared heavyweight at the time and arguably ever. He could win a fight just in the build-up before the first bell.
Cus died and with it MT's discipline. Predictably booze, a special fondness for cocaine and an insatiable appetite for women, all eventually took the edge of his performance. His loss to Buster Douglas, a journeyman fighter, was just about the greatest ever shock defeat ever. It was a partial wake-up call but he couldn't resist falling back into old habits. He lost that aura that so terrified his opponents.

Part of his problem was a total lack of self esteem - while he knew he was a great fighter, as a person he was from the gutter and felt like trash.

Apart from the period where he had steadying influence of Cus D'Amato his life before and after reads like one long train crash. It culminated in his jailing for rape (which he vehemently denies in the book). After prison (which he claims was good for him) he tried to get himself clean but like so many addicts he repeatedly fell back into his old ways for many years.

He maintains he's clean now and a better person.

There's a lot of stuff I've omitted from my summary. It's a fascinating read.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”