Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Chelsea V ManU

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Chelsea V ManU

Postby Leothebear » February 19th, 2019, 9:25 am

Very impressed with United on last night's showing. Chelsea never really got close against a defence that looked impenetrable. Pogba and Rashford always dangerous, in a really classy counter-attacking display. United for the Cup for me.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Re: Chelsea V ManU

Postby Howyoudoin » February 19th, 2019, 9:54 am

Leothebear wrote:Very impressed with United on last night's showing. Chelsea never really got close against a defence that looked impenetrable. Pogba and Rashford always dangerous, in a really classy counter-attacking display. United for the Cup for me.

Agree that United were impressive but can't help wondering how much of that is down to the incompetence/inconsistency of Chelsea under Sarri.

The fact that a section of their own fans booed them off at half time and again at final whistle suggests to me that all is not well in the blue camp.

HYD

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 19th, 2019, 10:30 am

Why when Man United put up a good showing (in most of the games since they got rid of Mourinho) do some always say things like it was 'down to the incompetence/inconsistency' of the opposition or its manager? For the last 10 or so games? Why cannot they just accept that Solsjaer is doing a great job with the self same players that Mourinho could get nothing out of.

Dod

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » February 19th, 2019, 10:58 am

Dod101 wrote:Why when Man United put up a good showing (in most of the games since they got rid of Mourinho) do some always say things like it was 'down to the incompetence/inconsistency' of the opposition or its manager? For the last 10 or so games? Why cannot they just accept that Solsjaer is doing a great job with the self same players that Mourinho could get nothing out of.

Dod

Solskjaer is indeed doing a great job but again how much of this is to do with the fact that Mourinho 'lost the dressing room' and several of the players (inc his captain Pogba) simply refused to play their best for him anymore?

If (when?) these same players decide to take a dislike to Solskjaer and refuse to play well, do you think he will fare any better as manager of Man Utd?

I'm impressed with Solskjaer, I like the guy and he's done very well up till now. But Man Utd were made to look very ordinary, at home, against an understrength PSG last week so let's not proclaim him the Messiah just yet.

HYD

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 19th, 2019, 11:17 am

Thanks HYD. Part of the art of managing a bunch of millionaire football players is down to man management. What you say about 'losing the dressing room' applies to any manager. Even before Mourinho lost it, he was simply grinding out wins with his style of play.

I think it is the style of play that Solskjaer promotes that is making the difference. He is giving the players the freedom to express themselves. He will not always get it right. I did not see the PSG game so cannot comment on that, but he has transformed the team and its results in a very short time. Long may it continue. Liverpool is going to be a challenge but we'll see.

Dod

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » February 19th, 2019, 11:23 am

Dod101 wrote:Thanks HYD. Part of the art of managing a bunch of millionaire football players is down to man management. What you say about 'losing the dressing room' applies to any manager. Even before Mourinho lost it, he was simply grinding out wins with his style of play.

I think it is the style of play that Solskjaer promotes that is making the difference. He is giving the players the freedom to express themselves. He will not always get it right. I did not see the PSG game so cannot comment on that, but he has transformed the team and its results in a very short time. Long may it continue. Liverpool is going to be a challenge but we'll see.

Dod

Agree with all that but intrigued as to why you would give Solskjaer all the credit for Man Utd's turnaround but not blame Sarri for embarrassing Chelsea performances?

HYD

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 19th, 2019, 11:32 am

I didn't see the Chelsea performance as that bad. They had plenty of fight and possession, Hazard looked good. They were just denied clear chances and were vulnerable to a rejuvenated Pogba and Rashford. The fans clearly don't like Sarri, OK but I can't think anyone could have changed the result last night.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » February 19th, 2019, 12:24 pm

Leothebear wrote:I didn't see the Chelsea performance as that bad. They had plenty of fight and possession, Hazard looked good. They were just denied clear chances and were vulnerable to a rejuvenated Pogba and Rashford. The fans clearly don't like Sarri, OK but I can't think anyone could have changed the result last night.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just have a read of these pundits' and ex-players' views on the game last night:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/47156529

Not much love there for the Chelsea performance last night.

HYD

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 19th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:Agree with all that but intrigued as to why you would give Solskjaer all the credit for Man Utd's turnaround but not blame Sarri for embarrassing Chelsea performances?

Only because I was not discussing Chelsea or their manager.

Dod

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » February 19th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Mourinho losing the dressing room? I think it's pretty clear he wanted to lose the dressing room. He did not get what he wanted in the summer transfer market and decided he wanted to leave. Being greedy instead of resigning he tanked the team until Utd had to sack him and pay him off millions. He did it at Chelsea too. And probably other clubs too but I did not pay so much attention to those. Teams don't play that bad if the manager is still trying their best.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 19th, 2019, 10:03 pm

nmdhqbc wrote:Mourinho losing the dressing room? I think it's pretty clear he wanted to lose the dressing room. He did not get what he wanted in the summer transfer market and decided he wanted to leave. Being greedy instead of resigning he tanked the team until Utd had to sack him and pay him off millions. He did it at Chelsea too. And probably other clubs too but I did not pay so much attention to those. Teams don't play that bad if the manager is still trying their best.

Interesting notion. Of course he can't do that more than twice because his rep as a top coach will be completely shredded, it's already badly tarnished. So in his next post he has to succeed or career over. With only zillions in the bank poor sod.

nmdhqbc
Lemon Slice

Postby nmdhqbc » February 19th, 2019, 10:24 pm

Leothebear wrote:Of course he can't do that more than twice because his rep as a top coach will be completely shredded,

You'd think wouldn't you but they keep on employing him. Maybe those 2 decent years he gives before he throws in the towel are worth the pay off and the bad season. Gives the next guy a good place to start from though just by not being the toxic man trying to lose his job.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”