Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

PSG v ManU

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

PSG v ManU

Postby Leothebear » March 6th, 2019, 11:45 pm

Well I thought Man Utd looked a really good side against Chelsea. Now they've done the business against PSG. They are growing in confidence and stature. I may just put a tenner on them winning the CL.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: PSG v ManU

Postby Dod101 » March 7th, 2019, 7:01 am

I thought that was an amazing performance given their injury list. Solskjaer also gets a bit of deserved luck from time to time.

He should have been signed up last night as the permanent manager for Man U. Champions League? Anything seems possible at the moment.

I just hope that the whole thing is not another Leicester City in the making.

Dod

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » March 7th, 2019, 9:25 am

Dod101 wrote: Champions League? Anything seems possible at the moment.

I just hope that the whole thing is not another Leicester City in the making.

Dod

Oooh, you know, I would accept a UCL win for Man U if the payback was several years of crushing disappointment, a managerial circle of death, all their best players deserting them for Madrid, and a gradual slide down to the Championship.

DM

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » March 7th, 2019, 9:42 am

Leothebear wrote:Well I thought Man Utd looked a really good side against Chelsea. Now they've done the business against PSG. They are growing in confidence and stature. I may just put a tenner on them winning the CL.

With luck like last night they must be a shoo-in to win the CL if not the PL.

In all seriousness, it was a strange game to watch. PSG must have had 80% of possession and looked like they could score at will . . . but didn't.

Man Utd looked like they little chance of scoring when they had the ball but three little bits of good fortune in 90 mins gave them three goals. The rest as they say is history.

Whoever said 'Stats don't you win you football matches' was bang on. At least as far as last night was concerned.

But all credit to Man Utd an Solskjaer, you have to come with the right attitude to games like these. Solskjaer/Lukaku knew that they were probably unlikely to get many chances on the night and they'd have to be ready to take them if presented. And they did brilliantly.

I'd be happy for any of the 4 English teams left in to win it.

HYD

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 7th, 2019, 11:42 am

Talk about a last minute turnaround!

I hear Man City & Liverpool fans are suggesting a job swap for OGS with Mrs May...a possible win-win-win for the UK*, City & Liverpool :twisted:

* note..no mention of NI.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » March 7th, 2019, 1:25 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:I would accept a UCL win for Man U if the payback was several years of crushing disappointment, a managerial circle of death, all their best players deserting them for Madrid, and a gradual slide down to the Championship.

Well, we've already endured the first two (relatively speaking) but the latter two seem somewhat unlikely. I can only assume you're a Bitter (in both senses of the word).

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » March 7th, 2019, 2:13 pm

mrbrightside wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote:I would accept a UCL win for Man U if the payback was several years of crushing disappointment, a managerial circle of death, all their best players deserting them for Madrid, and a gradual slide down to the Championship.

Well, we've already endured the first two (relatively speaking) but the latter two seem somewhat unlikely. I can only assume you're a Bitter (in both senses of the word).

Ha ha. Can't wait for the response.

HYD

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » March 7th, 2019, 2:35 pm

mrbrightside wrote:

I substituted in "Madrid" for "Chelsea and Manchester City".

If you think the last few years at Man U constitute crushing disappointment, you should try being a Spurs fan.

DM

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 7th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:I'd be happy for any of the 4 English teams left in to win it.

Yeah, I was even rooting for Spurs the other night, and that would normally be over my dead body.

A decade or so ago there was a period of relative dominance by English clubs. One year three of the four semi-finalists were English, with Man U going on to win it. Between 2005 and 2012, Liverpool and Chelsea also won it, with Liverpool, [expletive deleted], Man U and Chelsea also reaching the final before losing.

About the time that Ronaldo left, a decline started and the Spanish and German clubs dominated. I blame Gordon Brown for putting the top rate of tax up to 50%. Perhaps this week's results herald a return to English clubs doing well?

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » March 7th, 2019, 5:19 pm

Lootman wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:I'd be happy for any of the 4 English teams left in to win it.

Yeah, I was even rooting for Spurs the other night, and that would normally be over my dead body.

A decade or so ago there was a period of relative dominance by English clubs. One year three of the four semi-finalists were English, with Man U going on to win it. Between 2005 and 2012, Liverpool and Chelsea also won it, with Liverpool, [expletive deleted], Man U and Chelsea also reaching the final before losing.

About the time that Ronaldo left, a decline started and the Spanish and German clubs dominated. I blame Gordon Brown for putting the top rate of tax up to 50%. Perhaps this week's results herald a return to English clubs doing well?

Well, the England ladies team won the "SheBelieves Cup" this week. Phil Neville reckons

"England's women's and men's football teams can "dominate world football", says Lionesses boss Phil Neville."

whilst his brother apprently declares undying love for OGS. ;)

panamagold
Lemon Slice

Postby panamagold » March 7th, 2019, 8:47 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote: and a gradual slide down to the Championship.

DM

Yeah!
Something akin to '74 when 'King Dennis', then playing for Man City in their final game of the season, back heeled that winner into the net and sent United crashing into Div 2. Is that the sort of thing you're looking at?

Ha. Forget it, that ain't going to happen with this present manager and squad. They're on fire. :)

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » March 7th, 2019, 9:34 pm

Meant to add - how good do Utd's youngsters look?

He may not qualify as a 'youngster' anymore at the grand old age of 23 but the Brazilian, Pereira, impressed me massively both last night and at the weekend against Southampton, when he scored.

Just checked the fantasy league and he's . . . £4.5m. Fill yer boots.

HYD

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » March 8th, 2019, 9:36 am

panamagold wrote:
dionaeamuscipula wrote: and a gradual slide down to the Championship.

DM

Yeah!
Something akin to '74 when 'King Dennis', then playing for Man City in their final game of the season, back heeled that winner into the net and sent United crashing into Div 2. Is that the sort of thing you're looking at?

Denis.

I see that Man U supporters managed to get the game abandoned shortly after he scored, didn't know that.

Div 2 would be great but I'd accept the Championship.

Cardiff fans have fond memories of OGS's time in charge there, history can hopefully repeat itself.

Phelan, on the other hand...

DM

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”