Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

F1! Procession?

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Slarti
Lemon Quarter

F1! Procession?

Postby Slarti » March 31st, 2019, 7:00 pm

Don't see that anyone can accuse F1 of being a predictable procession, after today's race.

Overtaking happening all through the field from start to finish. :D

Slarti

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Re: F1! Procession?

Postby scottnsilky » April 14th, 2019, 5:55 pm

I meant to reply to this post 2 weeks ago, but somehow I was side tracked and all of a sudden, a fortnight has passed, and another race. I saw your title out of the corner of my eye, before I watched the race, and thought, oh dear, that's spoiled it for me, but obviously not! Yes, an excellent race, excitement throughout, what a pity for poor young Leclerc, but he'll be back, I'm sure, sooner rather than later.

Not so exciting was today's episode, made even worse by the appalling presentation by C4. It has deteriorated this year to almost unwatchable. The director seems to have no idea what an F1 fan wants to see. A perfectly straightforward overtake using DRS, is replayed for us as though it's a masterstroke, then we see a quick shot of the driver's photo.A bit more interesting manoeuvre we get 6 or 7 replays, it's got as bad as watching a goal in football. As I don't have access to Sky TV, I have to watch the highlights on C4, presumably the pictures are courtesy of Sky, I don't know, but why we have to see shots of mechanics just sitting there, watching the race on TV, in an edited version, is just annoying. Far too showbizzy now.

There, I've finally got that off my chest, I feel better now.

ATB,

dp

Slarti
Lemon Quarter

Postby Slarti » April 14th, 2019, 6:27 pm

scottnsilky wrote:I meant to reply to this post 2 weeks ago, but somehow I was side tracked and all of a sudden, a fortnight has passed, and another race. I saw your title out of the corner of my eye, before I watched the race, and thought, oh dear, that's spoiled it for me, but obviously not! Yes, an excellent race, excitement throughout, what a pity for poor young Leclerc, but he'll be back, I'm sure, sooner rather than later.

Not so exciting was today's episode, made even worse by the appalling presentation by C4. It has deteriorated this year to almost unwatchable. The director seems to have no idea what an F1 fan wants to see. A perfectly straightforward overtake using DRS, is replayed for us as though it's a masterstroke, then we see a quick shot of the driver's photo.A bit more interesting manoeuvre we get 6 or 7 replays, it's got as bad as watching a goal in football. As I don't have access to Sky TV, I have to watch the highlights on C4, presumably the pictures are courtesy of Sky, I don't know, but why we have to see shots of mechanics just sitting there, watching the race on TV, in an edited version, is just annoying. Far too showbizzy now.

There, I've finally got that off my chest, I feel better now.

ATB,

dp

The insertion of pictures of the driver who has just done an overtake is a thing from the new American rights holders (and it is much worse if you try the Formula E racing) and from what you are saying, you are getting a cut down version of what we see on Sky. I think that, as it always was, the pictures are the same for all over the world, 1 set of cameras with 1 director per race with just the local commentary varying.

I'm not giving up just yet, but even with full races, the presentation is making it less and less watchable. I especially hate the way, when 2 or 3 cars are in an overtaking battle, they remove the data from the info bar at the left and shove a couple or 3 pictures in to make it harder to tell if people are actually in with a chance of an overtake.

The Americanisation of the whole thing may well drive me away.

Slarti

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » April 14th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Yes, the Americanisation of F1, do you remember the US GP last year, when each driver walked out individually to ecstatic applause from all and sundry. Too tacky for words. I thought then all the races might go that way, fortunately not so far. I did watch the Rome ePrix last night, first Jaguar win, I think, what a tussle.

It occurred to me today, I might have to give up on it, after 50 years of watching....

dp

doug2500
Lemon Slice

Postby doug2500 » April 14th, 2019, 9:43 pm

I think people like Ross Brawn know there's a problem with overtaking and want to sort it, but getting all the teams to agree on a way forward......

Too many races are over by the first corner.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”