Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Aussie Rules

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
EssDeeAitch
Lemon Slice

Aussie Rules

Postby EssDeeAitch » April 25th, 2019, 11:38 pm

In Aus to see number 1 son for a few weeks and he got us tickets to see Richmond v Melbourne at the MCG. Perhaps the game should be calles Aussie Few Rules for the basics are easy to grasp and the nuance follows fairly smoothly thereafter.

Two points of observation. It was an Anzac Day game and the pre match tributes including both anthems, a reading of "For The Fallen", a rendition of the Last Post and the lighting of a flame of rememberance by the parents of a soldier killed in action in Afganistan were all wonderully observed by a non segregated crowd of 73,000. A wonderful experience.

The game itself is a superb display of skill, athleticism and no little bravery. To see a punt of 50 meters being plucked out of the air in the face of a challenge by numerous opposition players is quite something. If you get a chance to see a game, I recommend taking it.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Aussie Rules

Postby didds » April 26th, 2019, 1:10 pm

I went to a Aussie rules game in 1988, at the adelaide oval. while queuing to get in we got chatting to a guy in I guess his late 50s. He invited us to stand with his mates and him if we wanted, which was acceoted .

At one stage we asked them what constuitted alegal tackle as it wasnt obvious to us why some tackles were a turnover (legal) and others were poenalty (illegal). they both looked the same to us. The older guys sort of shuffled their feet and looked nervous and one of them said "Ive been watching this for 50 years and I still dont know!"

I had an aussie mate that used top play amateur aussie rules in CVictoria. He was a "defender" in "the pocket" (the bit directly in front of the posts IIRC). He told me that when he played on frosty/cold morings, the first few kicks into the pocket by the oppo he would let the forward catch the ball to clam the mark and an easy 6 points BUT as the forward caufght the ball he would clench his fists and smash the back of the catcher's hands - on a cold morning it was extremely painful. After a couple of these the forward would go up for the ball with closed fisst himself to avoid the pain... but also no chance of catching the ball....

didds

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”