Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

CL Final - Spurs vs. LFC

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Tzvikmister

CL Final - Spurs vs. LFC

Postby Tzvikmister » May 20th, 2019, 3:26 pm

I'm a bit surprised no one has written anything about this clash. For the first time in a decade 2 PL teams would face one another for the biggest price of them all.
So what do you say lads, Klopp or Poch? Who will win the big one?

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Re: CL Final - Spurs vs. LFC

Postby dionaeamuscipula » May 20th, 2019, 3:32 pm

Tzvikmister wrote:I'm a bit surprised no one has written anything about this clash. For the first time in a decade 2 PL teams would face one another for the biggest price of them all.

I would say it is probably about 75% Liverpool, 25% Spurs.

I wrote that then checked this:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/so ... ns-league/

DM

(although I would probably have changed my mind if fivethirtyeight said something really different)

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 21st, 2019, 11:27 am

Tzvikmister wrote:I'm a bit surprised no one has written anything about this clash. For the first time in a decade 2 PL teams would face one another for the biggest price of them all.

For me as a lifelong Spurs fan, of course I hope we win, but at the end of the day didn't think I'd see Spurs in the CL final in my lifetime, so I'm going to enjoy the match no matter what.

The absolute best thing for me is that the two teams in the CL final are properly run football clubs free from the financial doping of dodgy oligarchs and middle east oil money. They might have won everything else this year but they're going to have to sit and watch the final with everyone else. Suck it up!

All the best, Si

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » May 21st, 2019, 4:18 pm

I'm still getting over those semi-final second-legs to be honest....

Not sure I'm too comfortable with Liverpool as favourites - we seem to play our best football when we're the underdogs...

I like Spurs, and they've got match winners in the side. Son is a joy to watch, and I'm a big Potch fan too - I love how he wears his heart on his sleeve and gets caught up in it all.

By the way - in case anyone isn't aware and doesn't have BT Sport - I believe they will be broadcasting the Champions League Final live on their free YouTube channel -

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/footba ... 47806.html.

As Simoan has said, it's great that two UK clubs without the massive cash resources that some others have available will be fighting it out. Perhaps football's not quite dead yet...

Good luck to all!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 22nd, 2019, 8:56 am

Spurs should have been knocked out atleast three times so far, I really don't like it.

Would much rather be facing Ajax, or BVB, or even City.

Who knows how three weeks off will affect either squad?

Either way we've had a stunning season.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 22nd, 2019, 4:09 pm

BobbyD wrote:Spurs should have been knocked out at least three times so far, I really don't like it.

Would much rather be facing Ajax, or BVB, or even City.

Who knows how three weeks off will affect either squad?

Either way we've had a stunning season.

Yes and you may recall that Spurs would not even have qualified except that they played Barcelona away in the last group game when Barca had nothing to play for and fielded a lot of reserves. A few other teams might have been entitled to feel sore about that.

Liverpool versus Ajax would have been better - two great former European winners who are improving again. Playing Spurs is a bit boring but I'd prefer that to playing City.

Come on you Reds!

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » May 23rd, 2019, 12:08 am

Lootman wrote:Liverpool versus Ajax would have been better - two great former European winners who are improving again. Playing Spurs is a bit boring but I'd prefer that to playing City.

In football I fear narrative. I knew we'd won the European Cup in 2005 when Sami Hyypia volleyed home, away, against Juventus. That sort of thing doesn't happen for no reason... We played a keeper who two weeks earlier was sitting on Leeds' bench and a team of Biscan, Baros, La Tallec and Traore knocked out Buffon, Thuram, Ibra, Del Piero and Cannavaro...

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » May 23rd, 2019, 12:38 am

By coincidence I shall be in Liverpool on the day of the game so will make a late decision on who I want to win, having said that Liverpool should really have far too much for Spuds.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » May 23rd, 2019, 9:22 am

is this the final to be played in azerbaijan that I heard on R4 one of the platyers cannot attend through fear for his safety/life? (Armenian ?)

didds

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » May 23rd, 2019, 9:23 am

didds wrote:is this the final to be played in azerbaijan that I heard on R4 one of the platyers cannot attend through fear for his safety/life? (Armenian ?)

didds

no

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » May 23rd, 2019, 10:09 am

didds wrote:is this the final to be played in azerbaijan that I heard on R4 one of the platyers cannot attend through fear for his safety/life? (Armenian ?)

didds

Longer, more useful version.

The UCL final is in Madrid at the Athletico Stadium. The Europa League final, between two obscure teams from a remote outpost of Europe, is the one taking place in Asia.

It is difficult to understand why Azerbaijan, a country of which Wikipedia says "Azerbaijan has been harshly criticized for bribing foreign officials and diplomats in order to promote its causes abroad and legitimize its elections at home" was awarded the Europa League final.

It is sad that Mkhitaryan has felt that it would not be safe for him to travel there.

DM

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 23rd, 2019, 11:46 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:It is sad that Mkhitaryan has felt that it would not be safe for him to travel there.

I think what is sad is that he probably would not be safe there.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 23rd, 2019, 12:55 pm

Lootman wrote:Yes and you may recall that Spurs would not even have qualified except that they played Barcelona away in the last group game when Barca had nothing to play for and fielded a lot of reserves. A few other teams might have been entitled to feel sore about that.

Actually, there's only one team that should feel sore about it, and that is Inter Milan. Spurs qualification would've not been possible had they been able to beat PSV at home, that's a PSV team that had nothing to play for (not even Europa League qualification) but they couldn't beat them because they are rubbish.

Lootman wrote:Playing Spurs is a bit boring but I'd prefer that to playing City.

The good news is we normally play well against you lot and we'll have pretty much a full strength squad that was in desperate need of a rest at the end of PL season due to lack of depth. It'll be a much better game than you think.

Si

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 23rd, 2019, 1:23 pm

simoan wrote:
Lootman wrote:Yes and you may recall that Spurs would not even have qualified except that they played Barcelona away in the last group game when Barca had nothing to play for and fielded a lot of reserves. A few other teams might have been entitled to feel sore about that.

Actually, there's only one team that should feel sore about it, and that is Inter Milan. Spurs qualification would've not been possible had they been able to beat PSV at home, that's a PSV team that had nothing to play for (not even Europa League qualification) but they couldn't beat them because they are rubbish.

I could argue that City and Ajax might have preferred Inter, but I take your point.

simoan wrote:
Lootman wrote:Playing Spurs is a bit boring but I'd prefer that to playing City.

The good news is we normally play well against you lot and we'll have pretty much a full strength squad that was in desperate need of a rest at the end of PL season due to lack of depth. It'll be a much better game than you think.

Oh I'm not over-confident at all. Kane is going to be available, is he?

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » May 23rd, 2019, 3:12 pm

Lootman wrote:
simoan wrote:The good news is we normally play well against you lot and we'll have pretty much a full strength squad that was in desperate need of a rest at the end of PL season due to lack of depth. It'll be a much better game than you think.

Oh I'm not over-confident at all. Kane is going to be available, is he?

Well, I hope LIverpool are over-confident! It's not a problem Spurs fans are familiar with :-) I actually feel it would be a shame if Liverpool won nothing this season. I think Ajax were over-hyped beating the worst Real side for 10 years and an ageing and stale Juve team over reliant on Ronaldo. We were absolute rubbish for 3/4 of the semi-final and still beat them. I suspect Liverpool would beat them by 2 or 3 goals in a one-off game.

FWLIW I enjoy watching Liverpool far more than Pep's machine-like City team, as good as they are. I find the way they grind teams down pretty boring to watch and at the end of the day I feel the way they went for Watford when comfortably winning 4-0 last weekend lacked class. When you've won, there's no need to rub other people's noses in it (unless you're Troy Deeney). I thought what they did to Burton in the Carabao Cup SF was disgraceful. I hope they get banned from the CL for a season as money is no object and they can easily pay fines.

I think the story of our CL season to date is that Harry Kane has hardly played and we've done OK. If he is fit, I hope he sits on the bench. My worst fear is he gets thrown in without any match sharpness and just gets in the way of Son, Lucas etc. and stops the team from playing. However, I suspect he will be thrown in, which I think is actually good news for Liverpool.

All the best, Si

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 1st, 2019, 6:56 am

Hats off to the creators of this Simpsons based tribute. Quite brilliant.

https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1 ... 91712?s=21

HYD

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 1st, 2019, 7:29 am

I am totally neutral on this but I think Liverpool will probably win.

I sat in a lovely hotel in Tuscany in 2008 watching the last game when two PL teams played in the final. I just hope that tonight's game will avoid a penalty shoot out.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 1st, 2019, 4:59 pm

Link here to the free BT Sports HD YouTube channel that will start free HD streaming of tonight's Champions League Final coverage at 6pm UK-time, with kick-off at 8pm -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wOmcXMabYc

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » June 1st, 2019, 8:20 pm

Not sure if it's just me or my connection, but the BT Youtube stream is barely watchable.

Freezing, ghost trails behind players and resolution varying from good to about 10 x 10 pixels by the look of it.

Must be to encourage people to pay :)

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 1st, 2019, 8:29 pm

staffordian wrote:Not sure if it's just me or my connection, but the BT Youtube stream is barely watchable.

Freezing, ghost trails behind players and resolution varying from good to about 10 x 10 pixels by the look of it.

Must be to encourage people to pay :)

You're not missing much.

Hope it gets better as a spectacle even if i'm happy with the current score.

HYD

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”