Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

CL Final - Spurs vs. LFC

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Re: CL Final - Spurs vs. LFC

Postby Howyoudoin » June 3rd, 2019, 8:41 pm

Spet0789 wrote:
simoan wrote:
Spet0789 wrote:Absurd that Spurs were even playing.

There should be a CL rule that if you haven’t won your domestic league in the past 50 years you’re ineligible.

What a stupid comment. Why not make it 29 years?

Si

Anyway, you’ve already admitted that you are a Spurs fan so you’re biased. As a Gooner I’m impartial and so can offer a thoughtful and balanced perspective.

Had to read that twice.

An [expletive deleted] fan is ‘impartial’ reviewing a Spurs performance?

:lol:

Jesus Christ. You guys are nuts.

For the record, [expletive deleted] were beyond rubbish in their European final and Spurs were beyond rubbish in their European final.

Wish West Ham were good enough to make a European final but at the same time I’d hate us to show ourselves up the way you guys did.

Neither one of you ‘showed up’ for the final. And if you don’t agree, I’ll post loads of links to your own fans saying the same.

HYD

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » June 3rd, 2019, 8:56 pm

Howyoudoin wrote:
Spet0789 wrote:
simoan wrote:What a stupid comment. Why not make it 29 years?

Si

Anyway, you’ve already admitted that you are a Spurs fan so you’re biased. As a Gooner I’m impartial and so can offer a thoughtful and balanced perspective.

Had to read that twice.

An [expletive deleted] fan is ‘impartial’ reviewing a Spurs performance?

:lol:

Jesus Christ. You guys are nuts.

For the record, [expletive deleted] were beyond rubbish in their European final and Spurs were beyond rubbish in their European final.

Wish West Ham were good enough to make a European final but at the same time I’d hate us to show ourselves up the way you guys did.

Neither one of you ‘showed up’ for the final. And if you don’t agree, I’ll post loads of links to your own fans saying the same.

HYD

Completely agree!

Whenever [expletive deleted] are rubbish, we console ourselves by the thought that Spurs are worse.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 3rd, 2019, 9:37 pm

Spet0789 wrote:You have to draw the line somewhere!

No you don't. It's too late to pull up the draw bridge now and make sure "big teams" only win anything.

Spet0789 wrote:Anyway, you’ve already admitted that you are a Spurs fan so you’re biased.

No, I'm not biased at all actually but you clearly are. You have no idea what my thoughts about Spurs are but they are mostly not positive about the way the club is run, even though we've had a great season. I'm happy to discuss things with those who are prepared to have a sensible debate like itsallaguess but not with people that refuse to be even handed.

As for quoting meaningless facts, what's the point? It's fairly obvious most people just see what they want to see. It wasn't a great game but the Liverpool fans I sat watching the game with were bricking themselves for most of the 2nd half. The fact is Spurs were the better side in the second half and MOTM was Allison. Spurs were pants but they still had more shots on target than Liverpool did against Barcelona at Anfield in the SF. For people to say they didn't turn up is just a ridiculously biased view. The fact is both defences were excellent and both attacks were toothless. As I pointed out before the game, Kane playing would be a plus for Liverpool, and so it proved.

Anyway, I won't be commenting any further. Well done Liverpool, they deserved it after the season they've had even if they weren't necessarily the best team on Saturday night. They won, and that's all that matters.

Si

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » June 3rd, 2019, 9:57 pm

simoan wrote:

No you don't. It's too late to pull up the draw bridge now and make sure "big teams" only win anything.

Spet0789 wrote:Anyway, you’ve already admitted that you are a Spurs fan so you’re biased.

No, I'm not biased at all actually but you clearly are. You have no idea what my thoughts about Spurs are but they are mostly not positive about the way the club is run, even though we've had a great season. I'm happy to discuss things with those who are prepared to have a sensible debate like itsallaguess but not with people that refuse to be even handed.

As for quoting meaningless facts, what's the point? It's fairly obvious most people just see what they want to see. It wasn't a great game but the Liverpool fans I sat watching the game with were bricking themselves for most of the 2nd half. The fact is Spurs were the better side in the second half and MOTM was Allison. Spurs were pants but they still had more shots on target than Liverpool did against Barcelona at Anfield in the SF. For people to say they didn't turn up is just a ridiculously biased view. The fact is both defences were excellent and both attacks were toothless. As I pointed out before the game, Kane playing would be a plus for Liverpool, and so it proved.

Anyway, I won't be commenting any further. Well done Liverpool, they deserved it after the season they've had even if they weren't necessarily the best team on Saturday night. They won, and that's all that matters.

Si

There’s no element of pulling up the drawbridge. Break the habit of six decades and win the league!

By the way, I think you’re being a bit churlish about the way Spurs is run. Off the pitch, Levy has done a stellar job in my view. He’s taken the fourth best-supported club in London a long long way.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howyoudoin » June 4th, 2019, 10:56 am

simoan wrote:

Si

My bold. Just shows you how statistics can be misleading.

I could watch that Liverpool v Barcelona game on a loop, it was so exciting. I'd rather eat a dozen ghost chillies than watch the Spurs v Liverpool final again. Utter utter crap. At least the [expletive deleted] v Chelsea match had some drama in it.

HYD

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » June 4th, 2019, 2:03 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:So happy for Ox after his recent long-term injury - really looking forward to how he performs for us again next season....

This isn't a dig at Oxlade-Chamberlain but I find it curious that players who have not played one minute in the Champions League campaign (see also Moreno) can partake quite so fully in the celebrations. I know they're all one team and they train together, travel together, share all the experiences together etc etc but my abiding memory of Barcelona 1999 is mainly of Scholes and Keane moping around in those grey suits. They honestly looked very uncomfortable - just being there.

When Henderson lifted the trophy aloft, there was a cast of thousands on the podium including a lady in a red ball gown FFS.

It was quite refreshing (and quite ironic) to see Chelsea FC poke fun at this 'John Terry full-kit wanker' trend

https://twitter.com/ChelseaFC/status/11 ... 9631532032

...but congratulations to Liverpool. While the CL final wasn't a spectacle, it would have been criminal for a team that accumulated 98 points and lost just once in the PL playing with that exciting, attacking, high tempo style over the season to go unrewarded.

As a United fan, it pains me to think how far away we are from Citeh and Liverpool. And I can't see the gap closing in the foreseeable future.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » June 4th, 2019, 2:40 pm

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » June 6th, 2019, 10:44 am

mrbrightside wrote:When Henderson lifted the trophy aloft, there was a cast of thousands on the podium including a lady in a red ball gown FFS.

Don't mess with Linda Pizzuti.

https://twitter.com/Linda_Pizzuti?ref_s ... r%5Eauthor

mrbrightside wrote:
It was quite refreshing (and quite ironic) to see Chelsea FC poke fun at this 'John Terry full-kit wanker' trend

It's now a UEFA thing, you don't think the photos which adorn newspapers and tv footage around the world aren't going to be optimised for maximum impact? That's why presentations now take place on the pitch again as well, which in turn accentuates the effect of players in kit/tracksuits/suits...

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 16th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Probably only one for Liverpool fans or anyone who knows a Liverpool fan who might well enjoy seeing this...

The BBC Radio 5 Live commentary of the Liverpool vs Barcelona semi-final second leg was an absolute joy to listen to - I did so during the days following the win over Barcelona, but I imagine the enthusiasm of Ian Dennis and Alan Shearer must have been tremendous on the night itself too, for those that were unable to watch the match live on TV.

Anyhow, the whole BBC Radio 5 Live commentary can be found here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn-mrwYTr4A

Of course what everyone was waiting for was for someone to splice the above commentary with the live game footage, and the highlights have recently been released here, and they really are a fantastic 9 and a half minutes to watch -

https://streamable.com/g9o7h

The above streamable video with the radio commentary can also be downloaded for keeping local by using this site, and right-clicking on the 349Mb MP4 link, and selecting 'Save link as' at the prompt -

https://www.tubeninja.net/?url=https%3A ... om%2Fg9o7h

Whilst the final was a bit of a let-down from a football point of view, I don't think I'll ever get bored of re-living that semi-final second-leg comeback at Anfield, and to be able to do so with this local MP4 video file and 5-live commentary is something I'll no doubt do many, many times over the coming years.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » July 4th, 2019, 11:25 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Probably only one for Liverpool fans or anyone who knows a Liverpool fan who might well enjoy seeing this...

The BBC Radio 5 Live commentary of the Liverpool vs Barcelona semi-final second leg was an absolute joy to listen to - I did so during the days following the win over Barcelona, but I imagine the enthusiasm of Ian Dennis and Alan Shearer must have been tremendous on the night itself too, for those that were unable to watch the match live on TV.

I'm surprised you could hear them! I was sat behind the commentary positions and it took about a week for my hearing to fully recover.

UEFA Short Film | Incredible never-before-seen footage of Liverpool's Champions League triumph

- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrG3C-R7D5s

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”