Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

New Olympic sport

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
cinelli
Lemon Slice

New Olympic sport

Postby cinelli » August 23rd, 2019, 12:36 pm

I have just seen a new sport and I think it’s great. Climbing. This is an example where an activity has been turned into a competitive sport, and a spectator sport, and it will feature in next year’s Tokyo Olympics. The event I saw was on the BBC a couple of days ago. The Japanese excel at it but other countries represented included France, Germany and Azerbaijan. Speed climbing involves the athletes scrambling up the wall of a three-storey house in about 7 seconds. In the other two disciplines, lead and bouldering, the athletes cling on to tiny hand holds by their fingertips. The wall is often overhanging. I found myself inadvertently holding my breath as the climber made the most unlikely progress up the wall.

Cinelli

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Re: New Olympic sport

Postby Itsallaguess » August 23rd, 2019, 1:55 pm

cinelli wrote:
Speed climbing involves the athletes scrambling up the wall of a three-storey house in about 7 seconds.

In the other two disciplines, lead and bouldering, the athletes cling on to tiny hand holds by their fingertips. The wall is often overhanging. I found myself inadvertently holding my breath as the climber made the most unlikely progress up the wall.

Augmented Reality can turn wall climbing into a multi-player activity -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEZt3M-JD7k

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Re: New Olympic sport

Postby Stan » August 24th, 2019, 9:49 pm

Enjoyable as it might be to some having it as an Olympic sport is taking things to far in my humble.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”