Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Hattrick Season 73

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Re: Hattrick Season 73

Postby Donut102 » November 25th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Personally, if your trainees that are stopping these two from getting a place aren't homegrown, I'd flog 'em off, ready or not.

Agreed - but my first XI is now wholly homegrown (other than goalies). I always try and find a spot for my good 'uns, but I'm just full.

Div IV

I was in 4th playing 5th away from home. Last season I won one, drew one (away fixture) so I thought this could be a six-pointer game. However opponent is clearly embarking on a rebuild given his volume of transfers recently, so I sent out the 2nd XI on a PIC.
Final result 3-0 win.

Div VI

First human opponent of the season, at home. Went PIC, and won 3-1.
Next week is the other human opponent - level with me on 15 points, away from home. Key game etc...

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » November 27th, 2019, 3:51 pm

In the Cup this week:

Next week is a little trickier - a high performing Div II team, with very strong attack ratings. I'm training defense, but even with 5 at the back I would not be able to keep a clean sheet. As a result I'm going 253 all out attack, sacrificing a few training slots.

Hmmm. The plan worked, but I also had a fair bit of luck.
My formation experience with 253 wasn't great, which significantly affected my ratings. By the 50th minute we were 2-1 down.
In the 65th minute, a planned stamina sub came on - replacing a Head normal forward with a Powerful one, albeit with 17yrs old and just Solid scoring.
However it now meant I had 2 x Powerful Normal Forwards on the pitch, and opponents lack of stamina was compensating for my lack of formation experience.
We banged in 2 x PNF goals, and one other for good measure to take the score to 4-2. We then survived a negative experience event (opponent had a fistful of NT, U20 and HT Masters players - and I had a 17 year old striker...) to go through to the next round.

Phew! I think it was worth sacrificing the 3 training slots to get the win.

Next week I'm up against Prem opposition, and lose the home ground advantage.
Similar tactics again I think, but much more of a 50:50 game.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » December 2nd, 2019, 9:10 am

UncleIan wrote:I have a home game which is a definite possible for a win

Shouldn't have said that.

My opponent went out of the cup last week, so should have a cup hangover right? We went for a rather attacking 2-5-3 and decided not to PIC as I don't think anything will help us the next couple of weeks. 86% midfield chances, but their defence was 80:20 to them, and while my central defence was 80:20 to me, wings were more 50/50. Still, you'd have thought on that basis...maybe it was them man marking one of my strikers, anyhoo, we missed a chance, and so did they, then we bagged one for a 1-0 halftime lead. Second half and their unpredictable CD hoofs a long ball over the top for an equaliser. Final score 1-1. Chances were 8-2. I'm feeling a little hard done by it's got to be said. I suppose them only getting a point is better than them getting three.

Other results meant I stayed in third while 2nd and 4th swapped around me, but we're on 9 points and 7th is on 7, and I play 1st away then home, while 6th play the whipping boys for six definite points, but 7th play second, so we may not slip right down the table, but there's a strong chance I'll get zero points over the next three weeks. The honeymoon period will be over.

In the Div. III battle I fluked a draw, I mean, I successfully employed the pressing tactic to limit the game to 0-0, while my league colleagues did the business. For one week only I suspect we're top of the III league battle league! Still 15 of 16 stats-wise apparently.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » December 2nd, 2019, 12:14 pm

A fairly straightforward training exercise w/e for me.

Spanked a bot 10-0 in England. GK injured +1. Keeps me 3pts clear at the top with +9GD over 2nd.

Won 0-2 in Oceania, keeps me top by 3pts and +2GD over 2nd

Drew 4-4 away to the league leaders in South Africa, after spending £2m on a Nigerian WC IM this week - who scored on his debut. Keeps me in 2nd -3pts and -4GD behind them, and 1pt and +8GD ahead of 3rd. Playing a Prem side in the challenger Cup this week, so the unexpected Cup run is finally going to be over as well.

Oh, and England beat Brazil on Friday, in Brazil. That was sweet!

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » December 3rd, 2019, 10:26 am

Div IV

In 4th place playing 2nd at home. Opponent had demoted from III last season, and is still in the main cup. If they focused on the Cup, I was in with a chance.
However they are just 2 points off the league leader whom they meet next week - so he gave me his big guns.
Final score was 3-4; a somewhat flattering end result for my team.

Next week I play 6th. Last season he beat me twice, and I'm struggling to see how I can salvage a point here. The next two weeks will most likely see me slip down the table...

Div VI

Key game this week. I was in 1st place, playing 2nd away from home. We were both unbeaten in the league so far this season.
I did enough to win 3-1 on a PIN, and keep 1st place.
Now 3 points clear and +10 goal difference. With the return leg at home (and most of the other teams being bots), I felt comfortable enough to celebrate the teams first league trophy with a wee cote du rhone accompanying the lamb hotpot on Sunday night. 8-)

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » December 3rd, 2019, 11:44 am

A 1-3 way win keeps us top, 5 pts clear, GD is now 4 goals short of the autopromote line.
Next week home to 3rd in first of the double headers. Winnable if we don't cock up.
e

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » December 9th, 2019, 8:37 am

No need to worry - while we were 1-2 behind after 30 mins, the second half brought us another home win, 8-2. Still top with seven wins out of seven, 5 pts clear, GD now puts us above the autopromote line. Return game next week should keep us on track.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » December 9th, 2019, 9:10 am

Still top with seven wins out of seven, 5 pts clear, GD now puts us above the autopromote line.

Nicely done.

Not so pleasant for me this week:

Div IV

Knocked out the Cup to Premiership opposition. I was outclassed.

In the league I was away to a opponent with strong defence, but mediocre midfield and attack. Following my success in R4 of the Cup, I tried my hand again with Long Shots, 550. Opponent had decided to go for 451 CA.

I had 2 long shot chances, and converted 1.
Opponent had just 1 CA chance (and converted it), and frustratingly got a non-tactical long shot opportunity which he duly converted.
Final score 2-1.

On reflection, the long shot strategy is probably the right one (although I'm not optimised). I had my CDs playing offensively to give more possession - in the return leg at home I'd expect him to CA again, and therefore dont feel the need to play them offensively again.
I'll go a bit more defensive with a PDIM, and 2 CDs to wing to boost the defense. Will also use a midfielder to mark one of their players.
It's going to be a 50:50 game.

As a result I've fallen from 4th to 6th. I don't think I'm at risk of auto demotion, but I'd like to be in the top 4 of Div IV for the first time.

Div VI

Bot bashing

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » December 9th, 2019, 9:18 am

UncleIan wrote:The honeymoon period will be over.

Sure enough. We were away to first. They have huge wing attacks and are unpredictable. Last three games they'd played 3-4-3 AOW, 4-4-2 AOW, and 3-5-2. They have a massive defence and I wasn't really seeing a way through. So 4-5-1 and a PIC press and pray. It was all going well, though I think it was more on them failing than my excellent pressing technique, they missed four chances in the first half (we had none). Then in the 74' we let one in, then another two before the final whistle, fluffed a CA chance, and pressed away a chance. 3-0 final score. I wonder if a few subs halfway through the second half might have kept things closer. Chances were 8-4, so probably not. Oh well, I wasn't expecting a win.

Elsewhere second did me no favours and also went down 3-0 to a team that was below me, while 7th won 1-5 against the whipping boys, and 4th v 5th (maybe) played out a draw, all this meant I slid from 3rd down to 7th. We're on 9 points with two wins and three draws and a +6 GD, but while it sounds bad, 2nd is only on 11 points and a +7 GD. 1st is away on 18 points.

Next week we've got the home leg of the double header, looks tough, especially with poor confidence. I should have the lion's share of possession, but whether I can break down their wall or not. I predict it would be a great week for them to CA.

Still in the conspiritors memorial cup, looks like a coin toss to me, though again I look vulnerable to the CA.

It's not great but I seem to be using up the rub of the green in the league battles, managed to win a match where the chances were 2-6 against. 1-0 to the Albumen. Another team also managed a win, while the other two only drew. So we win 2-0 to be the only III league with 4 wins and top of the table. We play second again (is that how it works or is that just fate), I'm probably going to lose midfield heavily but they have no discernable attack and play longshots. Not come across this before, if I'm losing midfield it sounds like an obvious CA from me but...not very sure, anyone else come across long shots teams? Any thoughts?

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » December 9th, 2019, 1:03 pm

We play second again (is that how it works or is that just fate)

That's how it works.

anyone else come across long shots teams? Any thoughts?

CA works if you can penetrate their defense. Most optimised LS teams have defense ratings of 18+ across the board, and that's usually too big for me to breakdown.
If you can't break down their defense, you need to win possession in order to take LS chances away from them. Your defenders don't have a role to play as LS teams generally have no attack ratings. Play them either offensively or use one of them to mark an opposing player. Again if you can't break down defense play forwards defensively to boost MF.
Consider Play Creatively if it could work for your team.

My best success vs LS have been using 253 (2 x WTM, 3 x FN or TD, 1 x CDO, 1 x CDN man marking an IM)

I was playing LS myself at the weekend and was beaten by CA. However I'm not LS optimised and my defense isn't good enough.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » December 16th, 2019, 9:20 am

UncleIan wrote:Next week we've got the home leg of the double header, looks tough, especially with poor confidence. I should have the lion's share of possession, but whether I can break down their wall or not. I predict it would be a great week for them to CA.

My oppos switched to a 3-5-2, which was a bit unfortunate, as I tried a 2-5-3 with two WBs and hence no CD. I had 69% of chances, but their attack was outclassing my defence, especially in the middle, this is probably unsurprising! First half and we scored one and missed three, while they missed one but scored two. Second half we equalised, then both teams missed a chance. 2-2 final score. Chances 7-4 to me. I guess I'll take a point against the runaway league leader. That's my fourth draw of the season. That's a lot of points left on the pitch, but then again, I suppose that's also a lot of points denied to the opposition. It is what it is. I seem to be in a league with loads of defence heavy teams.

That result (and others, obviously) see us rise majestically to 5th, on 10 points, while 7th is on 9, and 2nd are on 14. The current 2nd was 7th two weeks ago (I think), the double header against the whipping boys helped here. We are away to them this week. As usual, we'll have the majority of the ball, but their defence outshines my attack. 6th should lose, and 7th will win, so I could do with a win (rare you don't I guess but...) to stay in touch with those above, and move away from those below. Potentially I could move up to 4th, equally, end up in 7th. I'm saying it's still tight. After this week I've got two home games, first against the whipping boys, so, one week's relief coming anyway.

Our league still no.1 in III battles, not sure on what grounds, as the table doesn't really explain. We lost to III.13, who were in second but are now on the same points. I got mushed by the long shots team, CA didn't work, and they bashed in two longshots, and one headed corner, I think it was them that had 9 outfield players all with head speciality, so no surprises they score from the corner I guess. 0-3. We play 4th III.8 next week. My record so far is WDDWL. Next week is very very probably another L. Hopefully the other teams can pick up my slack.

Still in the Conspirators memorial cup, this week favours my opponents I think. We'll see. Last 32 though, so not too shabby.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » December 16th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Last 32 though, so not too shabby.

Very nice.

Div IV

Return leg, at home. In 6th playing 5th. Last week I played 550 long shots, with 3 x CDO. Won midfield, but defense not able to keep out their CAs.
Having learnt the lessons from the prior week, I tweaked my tactic this week.
Still 550 long shot, but CDs played TW or normal. Also man marked their IM to secure possession. It seemed to work - final score 2-1 and we go back to 5th spot, on 12 points.
7th is on 4 points, and I consider myself safe from auto-demotion. 3rd is on 16 points, and that's my target. If I end up scrapping for 4th, I may take the losses and get a qualifier (like last season).

Next week I play 2nd, and I'm opting for an extreme CA tactic.
It reminds me of watching Andy Hamilton (comedy legend) on the Chase at the weekend. Having got £7,000 in the cash builder, the Chaser offers him £90,000. Andy goes back to where the contestants usually sit, and says "Andy, don't be a fool - take the £7,000". He then goes back to the Chaser and takes the £90,000 offer, and is promptly knocked out.
I know I'll lose with the CA tactic, but seem unable to resist it....

Div VI

Bot bashing.
Next week is the first of the double header against human managers - but at home and confident I can retain my unbeaten run.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » December 17th, 2019, 10:50 pm

The 8-2 bot bash return leg was another 0-8 bot bash, so its as we were, except we are now 7 pts clear of 2nd, and well ahead of the autopromote line now by 2pts and GD too. Next week we are home to 6th, and a good chance to keep the winning run going.

Hoping that a return to series IV will make the game reporting a bit more interesting!

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » December 18th, 2019, 9:59 am

Donut102 wrote:
Last 32 though, so not too shabby.

Very nice.

Them v me. Chances 3-9. Score 2-1. Humbug!

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » December 23rd, 2019, 10:21 am

Merry Christmas one and all, ho ho ho! Etc etc.

This week we were away to second. Things are tight in the league but I was hopeful of a win looking at the predicted stats, enabling me to catch up with those ahead, and if results went my way opening up a small gap from those below too.

We went for a for a standard 3-5-2, they went 3-4-3 AIM, and lost midfield heavily. First half we scored twice, missed one, got a yellow, while they missed twice, and had a winger out injured, and their replacement was about half as good. Second half were some missed chances, then in extra time they missed a counter attack, and one of my strikers picked up a second yellow, daft sod. 0-2 final score. Huzzah!

How did this affect the league? We were in 5th, and 6th managed a jammy win away to first, and 7th thrashed the whipping boys. So we're on 13 points and +8, 6th on 13 and +-0, 7th on 12 points and +12(!). While 3rd and 4th are one point ahead of me on 14, 2nd on 16, and 1st on 19. All in all pretty tight, though I think 1st will recover back to winning ways and take the league, no idea how it's going to pan out for 2nd-7th at this point.

Next up two home games in a row, first against the bot, then against 7th (who play first next week), so fingers crossed I can chalk up two wins and ease fears of auto-relegation at least. My goal still to make it more than a single season in III.

Our league managed LDLL in the league battle this week, and are down to 4th. That's more like it! Ranked 14 of 16.

We're out of the conspirators memorial cup and as a result have a friendly in Guam, that's a new flag for the collection! Thanks friendly bots.

Oh, and oh my, that Hattrick festive colour scheme. Wow, just wow!

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » December 25th, 2019, 12:18 pm

Very quick catch up as have other things to do today!
5-0 home win, still 7pts clear at the top and 2 pts above the autopromote line.
Happy Xmas all

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » December 30th, 2019, 12:23 am

0-2 away win, staying 7 pts ahead, still 2 pts above the autopromote line.
Another of the 'easier' games next, followed by the two hardest games to finish with.
Happy New Year, see you in 2020...

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » January 2nd, 2020, 9:32 am

A Christmas gift...a game against the whipping boys, not quite bots, but easy enough, 7-0. Sadly 1st managed to contrive a draw away to 7th, so while I'm now 4th on 16 points, the current 7th are only three points back on 13, mind you, first are only on 20.

At home to 6th this week, as seems usual for this season, I should have the majority of the ball but whether I can break down the wall or not...reverse fixture was 1-1. Fingers crossed I can win and get a bit of breathing space from auto relegation, for a week at least.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » January 3rd, 2020, 9:54 am

A couple of weeks catch up for me:

Div IV

Next week I play 2nd, and I'm opting for an extreme CA tactic. I know I'll lose with the CA tactic, but seem unable to resist it....

Well it worked! A nice 2-1 win, grabbing 3 points I didn't expect promoting me up to 5th.

Last week was more straight forward - against 4th place at home. Went 532 AIM and won 3-1.
Riding high in 3rd place, with the luxury of a bot game this week.

Div VI

I won the Xmas game against the human opponent to keep my unbeaten record intact. Only bots left now, so season over.

Happy new year!

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » January 6th, 2020, 12:18 am

2-0 home win, keeps us 7pts ahead and still on course for autopromote etc etc
Next game is away to the bot in #8. Last two games will be against #3 and #2, who have improved over the season, so the autopromote is not a slam dunk...

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”