Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Bulgaria - Two Match Stadium Ban

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Bulgaria - Two Match Stadium Ban

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 29th, 2019, 4:30 pm

Bulgaria fans' racism: Racist abuse of England players leads to stadium ban
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50212951
Bulgaria have been ordered to play two matches behind closed doors - one suspended for two years - for their fans' racist abuse of England players in a Euro 2020 qualifier.

It hardly seems enough

AiY

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Re: Bulgaria - Two Match Stadium Ban

Postby Laughton » October 29th, 2019, 7:29 pm

I suppose there's a financial consequence - but I would have thought that playing to an empty stadium is just as much a turn off for the visiting team as it is for the home.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 29th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Laughton wrote:I suppose there's a financial consequence - but I would have thought that playing to an empty stadium is just as much a turn off for the visiting team as it is for the home.

Yes. That's a good point ... the irony is the visiting team suffer too.

However, any sort of challenge to racism within the game (or indeed any sport) is well overdue and hopefully not just Bulgaria but other countries will take the necessary steps to curtail this abhorrent behaviour.

AiY

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 30th, 2019, 8:38 am

Does FIFA/UEFA/whoever have a "minimal standards" requirement for venues? As if its behind clsoed doors the caapcity of the ground would be meangless, so presumably Bulgaria (in this case) could if they so wanted choose to play on some very lowly provisioned ground where the showers are cold, changing facilities cramped, awaydressing rooms down in a dungeon/up in thegods requiring a lot of steps to be navigated and a pitch like a ploughed field (if such a pitch suited them themselves obvs)

??

didds

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » October 30th, 2019, 10:06 am

Bulgaria fined £65k for Nazi salutes and constant abuse of black players. Two match stadium ban for a country with previous form, one suspended.
England fined £5k for fans disrespecting the Bulgarian anthem.

Yes, this decisive, radical action from UEFA is really going to address this problem. Long, deep sigh.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 30th, 2019, 12:19 pm

mrbrightside wrote:England fined £5k for fans disrespecting the Bulgarian anthem.

so eg England fans could boo the English national anthem to deliberately leave Bulgaria with a 5K fine for "disrespecting the English anthem"

??

didds

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 31st, 2019, 11:43 am

Laughton wrote:I suppose there's a financial consequence - but I would have thought that playing to an empty stadium is just as much a turn off for the visiting team as it is for the home.

Home advantage exists, in theory this would dent it and be to the advantage of the visiting team although how much they gain may vary by stadium.

For a smaller FA the financial hit could actually be quite damaging, especially if it happens on a regular basis wiping out their major source of revenue, who that would actually hurt is another point but it's unlikely to be their international players, or directly their fans.

...but the idea of a stadium ban is a myth. Children are excluded from the ban if the tickets are given to schools or football clubs, and those children must be accompanied by a set ratio of adults...

didds wrote:
mrbrightside wrote:England fined £5k for fans disrespecting the Bulgarian anthem.

so eg England fans could boo the English national anthem to deliberately leave Bulgaria with a 5K fine for "disrespecting the English anthem"

??

didds

You'd probably need to be a little more sophisticated about it than that and actually sit in the opponents section, but this is the major hole in most plans to levy harsh action for fan behaviour, you actually create an incentive for the behaviour from other people, and you are basically reliant on 'fan on fan' policing to stop it, which is asking for trouble when dealing with a reasonable number of terrace-trolls.

mrbrightside
2 Lemon pips

Postby mrbrightside » October 31st, 2019, 2:53 pm

didds wrote:

No - because UEFA observers detect who is booing what.

PS. Bulgaria were also fined £5k for booing the Ing-er-lish anthem (but it was their fans).

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 1st, 2019, 10:59 am

mrbrightside wrote:No - because UEFA observers detect who is booing what.

How would they know?

If I wear a Bulgarian shirt and am somehow sat in the Bulgaria sections, who do these opbservers know I am English and not Bulgarian?

I accept this is realms of fantasy now :-) But the question still remains.

didds

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » November 1st, 2019, 4:20 pm

didds wrote:
mrbrightside wrote:No - because UEFA observers detect who is booing what.

How would they know?

If I wear a Bulgarian shirt and am somehow sat in the Bulgaria sections, who do these opbservers know I am English and not Bulgarian?

I accept this is realms of fantasy now :-) But the question still remains.

didds

Surely the kilt is a bit of a giveaway?

DM

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”