Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Down and out - new season just 6 weeks away

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Down and out - new season just 6 weeks away

Postby Leothebear » July 27th, 2020, 2:59 pm

Bournemouth's spell in the EPL is now over. What are the chances they'll ever get back? Villa's point at WH seeing them hang on by their fingernails. Watford won't be missed. (not by Palace fans)

Palace finish the season with having won 1 point from a possible 24. In which they played some of the worst stuff I've seen in the EPL. Just 31 goals scored all season. Zaha unhappy and out of form. No sign of the finances to sign good desperately needed players.

I await next season with considerable trepidation.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Re: Down and out - new season just 6 weeks away

Postby jackdaww » July 27th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Leothebear wrote:Bournemouth's spell in the EPL is now over. What are the chances they'll ever get back? Villa's point at WH seeing them hang on by their fingernails. Watford won't be missed. (not by Palace fans)

Palace finish the season with having won 1 point from a possible 24. In which they played some of the worst stuff I've seen in the EPL. Just 31 goals scored all season. Zaha unhappy and out of form. No sign of the finances to sign good desperately needed players.

I await next season with considerable trepidation.

==========================

amazing cliff hanger - every game had to finish before the final outcome became certain .

bournemouth and norwich are too small to stay in the prem - likewise cardiff and swansea if they win the playoffs.

palace surprise me - got some good players - benteke was outstanding for villa - won matches on his own , so its a mystery to me how he has lost it .

we (villa) have been playing quite well mostly , but we were luck to scrape through .

:roll:

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » July 29th, 2020, 10:10 am

palace surprise me - got some good players - benteke was outstanding for villa - won matches on his own , so its a mystery to me how he has lost it .

we (villa) have been playing quite well mostly , but we were luck to scrape through .

To be fair on Benteke, he doesn't get the service he had at Villa. That said he has been atrocious in front of goal. 2 goals in the EPL this season and one of those was a mishit. Faith has been kept in him (mainly because the squad is so thin) but he really seems to have lost it completely. Conversely he has scored quite regularly for Belgium. In a Palace shirt he is quite hopeless.

All for which Palace pay him £120,000 a week.

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » July 29th, 2020, 10:22 am

Leothebear wrote:

we (villa) have been playing quite well mostly , but we were lucky to scrape through .

To be fair on Benteke, he doesn't get the service he had at Villa. That said he has been atrocious in front of goal. 2 goals in the EPL this season and one of those was a mishit. Faith has been kept in him (mainly because the squad is so thin) but he really seems to have lost it completely. Conversely he has scored quite regularly for Belgium. In a Palace shirt he is quite hopeless.

All for which Palace pay him £120,000 a week.

===========================

you also have jordan AYWE - another ex villa man

brilliant some days , mediocre others .

:)

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » August 3rd, 2020, 10:09 am

jackdaww wrote:
bournemouth and norwich are too small to stay in the prem - likewise cardiff and swansea if they win the playoffs.

Cardiff (by population) is larger than:

Nottingham
Newcastle upon Tyne
Sunderland
Brighton
Hull
Wolverhampton
Stoke
Derby
Southampton
Portsmouth
West Bromwich
Burnley

Not that Cardiff (or Swansea) are going to bother the Prem this year.

Bristol haven't had a team in the top flight since 1980.

DM

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » August 16th, 2020, 7:11 pm

Jackdaww,

“ bournemouth and norwich are too small to stay in the prem - likewise cardiff and swansea if they win the playoffs.”

Re your rather sweeping comment about clubs being “to small” to survive in the top flight are not true as Burnley have proved over 5/6 years.

In Burnley’s case employing a good Management team is the crux plus not spending like there’s no tomorrow.

WBA did something similar years ago employing the “one season at a time” again by not spending above their income, until that stopped working.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » August 17th, 2020, 7:12 am

Perhaps we should say "Clubs without a mega-rich benefactor" will struggle to stay in the PL."

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » August 17th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Nop sorry Leo again Burnley don’t have a mega rich benefactor but do have a VG Management team, that being the vital factor.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » August 17th, 2020, 4:05 pm

dionaeamuscipula wrote:
jackdaww wrote:

Cardiff (by population) is larger than:

Nottingham
Newcastle upon Tyne
Sunderland
Brighton
Hull
Wolverhampton
Stoke
Derby
Southampton
Portsmouth
West Bromwich
Burnley

Not that Cardiff (or Swansea) are going to bother the Prem this year.

And don't forget the catchment area which takes the population to well over a million.

Bristol haven't had a team in the top flight since 1980.

DM

And don't forget the catchment area of Cardiff which takes the population to well over a million. Cardiff's average attendance in the Premier League was over 30000 so the comparison with Bournemouth is totally false.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » August 18th, 2020, 6:12 am

Stan wrote:Nop sorry Leo again Burnley don’t have a mega rich benefactor but do have a VG Management team, that being the vital factor.

Don't dispute that Stan but do you believe this has made them a fixture in the PL? Crystal Palace have survived 7 season in the PL yet nobody (most fans included) expects more than survival at best. A cup run is a bonus.

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » August 19th, 2020, 5:43 pm

Leothebear wrote:
Stan wrote:Nop sorry Leo again Burnley don’t have a mega rich benefactor but do have a VG Management team, that being the vital factor.

Don't dispute that Stan but do you believe this has made them a fixture in the PL? Crystal Palace have survived 7 season in the PL yet nobody (most fans included) expects more than survival at best. A cup run is a bonus.

The feeling amongst most fans is that if we can continue to hang on the Dyche and his coaching staff then we can stay up but there are no guarantees are there. As for cup runs I’m afraid they are out of the question for clubs like ours in the Premier. Do you think that Roy will still be there for much longer Leo or should you make a bad start he will be gone.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » August 24th, 2020, 11:27 pm

Evening Stan,
There's a lot of debate amongst CP fans about Roy. 50% say he's kept us in the PL for 3 seasons. Be grateful and trust his judgement. The other 50% hate the football we played last season and with only 1 point from 24 in the last 8 games, fear how we'll cope next season. Zaha our star player, is sulking and wants to go and we have the oldest squad in the division and have the 7th highest salary bill in the PL.

Roy will stay and Palace will go down I fear. That's when Roy will go.

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » August 26th, 2020, 5:08 pm

Leothebear wrote:Evening Stan,
There's a lot of debate amongst CP fans about Roy. 50% say he's kept us in the PL for 3 seasons. Be grateful and trust his judgement. The other 50% hate the football we played last season and with only 1 point from 24 in the last 8 games, fear how we'll cope next season. Zaha our star player, is sulking and wants to go and we have the oldest squad in the division and have the 7th highest salary bill in the PL.

Roy will stay and Palace will go down I fear. That's when Roy will go.

Thanks Leo, I’ve followed the career of RH as when he and Bobby Houghton left Fulham around 1969 for Tonbridge where I played for their reserves then. Houghton was manager and Roy played in the reserves with me .. I claim to anyone who wants to listen that I taught him everything he knows :D

An older squad is Dyches continued problem as well and of course the finances at a club with no billionaires on the board is a constant battle every season. I think the main reasons for him staying with BFC is when he was at Watford he was treated disgraceful by the foreign ownership also he gets a fair say about how the club develop off the pitch.

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » August 27th, 2020, 10:29 am

2,500 fans to be admitted for the Brighton v Chelsea friendly on Sat, I wonder how that will work out crowd wise.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 27th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Stan wrote:2,500 fans to be admitted for the Brighton v Chelsea friendly on Sat, I wonder how that will work out crowd wise.

How do you mean "work out"?

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » August 27th, 2020, 1:16 pm

There was a Brighton spokesman on TalkSport earlier today. Didn't catch his name.

They are taking it very seriously. Masks mandatory. Temperatures taken. Testaments that they don't have Covid. Strict spacing.
Advising that they get to the Amex by car - there'll be sufficient parking.

We'll see how it goes.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 27th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Leothebear wrote:There was a Brighton spokesman on TalkSport earlier today. Didn't catch his name.

They are taking it very seriously. Masks mandatory. Temperatures taken. Testaments that they don't have Covid. Strict spacing.
Advising that they get to the Amex by car - there'll be sufficient parking.

We'll see how it goes.

I am involved in this. There is an incredible amount of work and protocols surrounding this.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » September 2nd, 2020, 9:50 pm

Sounds up my street, never heard of it. Is the first season still available and where? Thx.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » September 3rd, 2020, 4:29 am

Funny enough just started watching "All or Nothing". Up the Spurs, from the sacking of Potch to taking on his Majesty. The trouble is I don't know how long I can stand watching "The Special One". Apparently they filmed one whole season. Amazon Prime.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”