Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Rugby - England

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Rugby - England

Postby Leothebear » November 15th, 2020, 5:32 pm

I no longer bother to watch the current England. I find their rugby ugly and tedious.
What do you think?

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Rugby - England

Postby tjh290633 » November 15th, 2020, 10:41 pm

Who do you prefer to watch? Ireland v. Wales was at the level of "Is this a private fight, or can anyone join in?".

New Zealand rugby always seems to be played in torrential rain.

TJH

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » November 16th, 2020, 10:05 am

I'm with you Leothebear - I thought the Ireland/Wales game a much better game to watch.

Personally, I think they need to look at the offside rule at the scrum, ruck and maul - defensive line is now up so fast that attacking players are more often than not holding hands with the tackler when they receive the ball.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 16th, 2020, 10:48 am

Leothebear wrote:I no longer bother to watch the current England. I find their rugby ugly and tedious.
What do you think?

What's this based on? Surely not just the Georgia game? FWIW I don't think Ireland or Wales play better rugby. Arguably, the French do.

The fact is that the game has changed, partly because of the rule changes and partly because even weaker countries can now organise themselves well enough defensively to stop the stronger team playing an expansive game. This means dominance in set pieces is even more important. I agree with Laughton that one way to stop this trend is to review the offside rule to give the team with the ball more time and space.

All the best, Si

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 16th, 2020, 12:36 pm

What's this based on? Surely not just the Georgia game? FWIW I don't think Ireland or Wales play better rugby. Arguably, the French do

Since Jones I suppose. When was the last time England played fast free flowing rugby? It's always brutal forward power stuff.
However I take on board the offside rule.

I've been a football fan most of my life but became disillusioned with the game and found rugby more exciting. Now I'm rather disillusioned with that too :(

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Postby Laughton » November 16th, 2020, 12:40 pm

Perhaps they could look at the "putting the ball into the scrum straight" rule at the same time.
It actually is still the rule - it's just that referees seem to have forgotten it.

If applied that might make life a bit more interesting again.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » November 16th, 2020, 1:02 pm

Laws of Rugby.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » November 16th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Laughton wrote:I'm with you Leothebear - I thought the Ireland/Wales game a much better game to watch.

Personally, I think they need to look at the offside rule at the scrum, ruck and maul - defensive line is now up so fast that attacking players are more often than not holding hands with the tackler when they receive the ball.

They can tinker with the laws all they like, but unless the referees are instructed by WR/whoever to actually police the tweaks its all meaningless.

As they arent policing straight scrum put ins and throwers not standing in the field of play when lineout throwing, I dont see any point on fiddling about expecting anything to change.

I'd suggest the post ruck defense may be aided by making rucking a pushing contest again, so mid field doesnt end up filled with 6 defensive forwards for a start. But that boat sailed in 1992.

didds

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » November 16th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Leothebear wrote:
What's this based on? Surely not just the Georgia game? FWIW I don't think Ireland or Wales play better rugby. Arguably, the French do

Since Jones I suppose. When was the last time England played fast free flowing rugby? It's always brutal forward power stuff.
However I take on board the offside rule.

I've been a football fan most of my life but became disillusioned with the game and found rugby more exciting. Now I'm rather disillusioned with that too :(

I don't think the issue is with Eddie Jones or how England play. How else would Jonny May have so many tries if England didn't play expansively when they get the chance? On Saturday, the weather pretty much forced the way England played; you can't go flinging the ball about in weather like that. It was always going to be a forward dominated game. And then you had the opposition... Rugby is not much different to football in that you can only play the team in front of you, and if they come with a game plan to be physical, contain and disrupt just to keep the scoreboard down, and with no ambition whatsoever to attack, there's not much you can do. Particularly if it's only your second game as a team in several months. It's the same in football where weaker teams will park the bus and hope to get lucky on the break - the best team normally grinds out a win but it's a dreadful spectacle as a viewer.

All the best, Si

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”