Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Formula 1 - Drive to Survive - Lewis Hamilton - Focused on Two Outcomes

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Formula 1 - Drive to Survive - Lewis Hamilton - Focused on Two Outcomes

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 3rd, 2021, 1:00 pm

I recently put up a recommendation to watch the Netflix series, Formula 1, Drive to Survive. It seems I wasn't on my own in the enjoyment of the 3 series.

This is a little spoiler about one of the closing programmes in series three. Lewis Hamilton is clearly focused on winning. But he mentioned he also had another vision. That was to bring more black people into the sport.

I've chosen to put this post here as I am fed up with CAN and the constant need for the discussion to break down into a melee of differing political opinions and a need to flex keyboard testosterone.

Until Lewis mentioned he was the only black driver I hadn't noticed. Then I looked at the mechanics and teams overall. There appeared to be a complete lack of black people on the teams.

I've checked. To the best of the information available on the internet Lewis Hamilton is the only black Formula 1 racing driver ever.

I wish him well and I hope that all of the the teams take actions to change this. Is the sport being racist deliberately or do they not know they are doing this? Whilst it still amounts to exclusion of Black people it may, in my opinion, have a reflection on how the sport can allow Black people to join in the future.

The sport does have something to offer Black people and clearly as Lewis has proven Black people have something to offer the sport. I believe many drivers start out young in "go-karting" and progress from there. Is this a potential point of failure for the sport. A point at which entry is only for the rich. Lewis has spoken of the costs to his parents to get him where he is today and he's aware they went without much in their life because of this. Lewis suggested that there was racism towards him when he was a young person setting out to achieve his and his parents dream.

There must be something the sport can do to change? Football has done a great job, albeit there are still issues, but we have many excellent Black players who entertain their fans and represent their country.

Inclusion for all

AiY
Found this little link after I posted
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-africa-44251817

It seems to suggest cost's are the issue of getting into F1.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Formula 1 - Drive to Survive - Lewis Hamilton - Focused on Two Outcomes

Postby swill453 » October 3rd, 2021, 1:10 pm

I think you more or less got it, that Formula 1 is a rich person's sport. So why there are so few black drivers says more about society than about the sport. Which will rapidly make your thread off topic for here.

Scott.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 3rd, 2021, 1:22 pm

swill453 wrote:I think you more or less got it, that Formula 1 is a rich person's sport. So why there are so few black drivers says more about society than about the sport. Which will rapidly make your thread off topic for here.

Scott.

I think the sport could be, and in my opinion, should be about making change. For example they could sponsor hopeful's at an early age giving them the opportunity to advance or not based on meritocracy. Football teams manage this very well.

I think it is a problem the sport has to resolve and feel happy in my choice of board.

AiY

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » October 3rd, 2021, 1:44 pm

Surely Lewis came from humble surroundings in Stevenage? Not a wealthy background. That's why he has attracted a lot of supporters. He has some clout because he persuaded Mercedes to change the colour of their F1 cars to black.

In his younger days, he was spotted as a young talent by McClaren and they nutured him. They paid the bills!

And of course, now he's put up £20 million to start a charity, Mission 44, which is committed to creating opportunities for young people from under-represented backgrounds.

regards

Howard

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » October 3rd, 2021, 1:50 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
I've checked. To the best of the information available on the internet Lewis Hamilton is the only black Formula 1 racing driver ever.

Karun Chandhok might disagree with you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karun_Chandhok

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 3rd, 2021, 2:10 pm

dealtn wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:

Karun Chandhok might disagree with you

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karun_Chandhok

You obviously have a better version of Google than me :lol:

Thanks for the correction :)

Best

AiY

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 3rd, 2021, 2:35 pm

Howard wrote:Surely Lewis came from humble surroundings in Stevenage? Not a wealthy background. That's why he has attracted a lot of supporters. He has some clout because he persuaded Mercedes to change the colour of their F1 cars to black.

In his younger days, he was spotted as a young talent by McClaren and they nutured him. They paid the bills!

And of course, now he's put up £20 million to start a charity, Mission 44, which is committed to creating opportunities for young people from under-represented backgrounds.

regards

Howard

Yes. Thank you. McLaren Young Driver Programme did pick Lewis up from the age of 13, but it doesn't say categorically it paid for him. I wondering if this was more a getting McLaren sponsors to support Hamilton? Genuinely don't know.

However, the article seems to indicate that McLaren aren't part of a larger group within the sport to promote more entrants and in particular Black people.

From 2019 to 2021, no drivers were part of the program, which McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown said was due to the team's "very targeted" approach and already stable F1 line-up, meaning it would be difficult for any young drivers to find a place in Formula One.[1][2] In March 2021, American karting driver Ugo Ugochukwu was recruited into the programme.[3]

AiY

marronier
Lemon Slice

Postby marronier » October 4th, 2021, 3:14 pm

Sunday morning , ITV4 showed a 2014 Ginetta Junior race (14 to 17 y.o.) at Croft . The winner was a very young looking 14 year old Lando Norris , now in F1.

There is a progression one goes through to display one's talent as no-one is going to risk a novice in F1 to fulfil a quota .

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 4th, 2021, 3:23 pm

swill453 wrote:I think you more or less got it, that Formula 1 is a rich person's sport. So why there are so few black drivers says more about society than about the sport. Which will rapidly make your thread off topic for here.

Only 3% of UK residents are black. So surely statistically there would only ever be a few black F1 drivers?

This idea that every sphere of activity must reflect the ethnic breakdown of the nation as a whole strikes me as grossly overdone these days. It makes no allowance for differing skillsets of different demographics. Does anyone complain that most pro basketball players are black? That the best cricketers are south Asian? That Hispanics excel at baseball?

Sure, F1 takes money but you could say the same for golf (Tiger Woods) and tennis (Williams sisters). More generally sports, along with entertainment, is an area where blacks have huge opportunities. Just look at some of the Premier League teams.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » October 4th, 2021, 4:44 pm

Lootman wrote:Only 3% of UK residents are black. So surely statistically there would only ever be a few black F1 drivers?

(a) not all F1 drivers are British.

(b) not too many Asian F1 drivers either, outside Japan.

(c) 51% of the UK's population aren't represented in F1 at all and haven't been since 1992.

DM

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » October 4th, 2021, 4:56 pm

How many women or trans drivers?

I agree money or access to it might be a factor but lap times are probably more important. If you are slow you are out no matter what colour, race or creed.

I know some drivers get picked over others because of their colour..... of their money or sponsorship that they can bring to the table. Who knew Green was so important

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » October 4th, 2021, 5:04 pm

Lootman wrote:

Only 3% of UK residents are black. So surely statistically there would only ever be a few black F1 drivers?

This idea that every sphere of activity must reflect the ethnic breakdown of the nation as a whole strikes me as grossly overdone these days. It makes no allowance for differing skillsets of different demographics. Does anyone complain that most pro basketball players are black? That the best cricketers are south Asian? That Hispanics excel at baseball?

Sure, F1 takes money but you could say the same for golf (Tiger Woods) and tennis (Williams sisters). More generally sports, along with entertainment, is an area where blacks have huge opportunities. Just look at some of the Premier League teams.

Formula 1 is just a UK sport?

But given the number of black drivers from the UK over the lifetime of the sport I think the answer is 1 in 50 years.

Maybe if that was run through the calculator we would see some imbalance?

I don't recall suggesting in my OP that every sphere of activity must represent the ethnic breakdown of the nation. Why would I? Unless of course you're using strict mathematics and a calculator to provide the balance needed?

I'm glad that there are numerous black people playing basketball in the US. But that clearly doesn't answer why more black people have not been involved in Formula 1 over the last 50 years.

AiY

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 4th, 2021, 5:18 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Formula 1 is just a UK sport?

But given the number of black drivers from the UK over the lifetime of the sport I think the answer is 1 in 50 years.

When blacks get interested in a sport then they tend to do very well at it.

At least in the West, blacks tend to live in urban areas. Not surprisingly they become interested in sports that you can play on any piece of asphalt (basketball) or scrubland (football). Whereas sports that require more real estate and a specifically laid out playing field (cricket, rugby) sees less participation. Likewise F1, tennis and golf.

I don't expect to see blacks succeed equally in every sport any more than any other race. You see this in the US with a much larger black population (12% or so). They are over-represented in the NBA, are well represented in the NFL, but seen less in hockey and baseball.

F1 isn't really a thing in the US but you do not see many black drivers in NASCAR or Indy racing either. Nor in winter sports.

But so what? Why does it matter if blacks (or any other race) prefer some sports to others?

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”