Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Cameron Norrie

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
swill453
Lemon Half

Cameron Norrie

Postby swill453 » October 18th, 2021, 7:04 pm

He was born in South Africa, has a New Zealand accent, lives in London, and nobody here had heard of him until the day before yesterday.

But he's Scottish, yay! Bye Andy.

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Cameron Norrie

Postby Lootman » October 18th, 2021, 7:18 pm

swill453 wrote:He was born in South Africa, has a New Zealand accent, lives in London, and nobody here had heard of him until the day before yesterday.

But he's Scottish, yay! Bye Andy.

You Scots said bye to Sir Andrew Barron Murray OBE a long time ago when he debunked to Surrey, not to mention all the time he spends in Florida, California and other locations more climatically suited to practising tennis outdoors.

In fact it it is a miracle that a country with as frigid and gloomy a climate as Scotland could ever yield one world class tennis player, let alone two. It is like Jamaica producing a world-beating bobsleigh team. :D

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 18th, 2021, 11:06 pm

swill453 wrote:He was born in South Africa, has a New Zealand accent, lives in London, and nobody here had heard of him until the day before yesterday.

I still hadnt until I googled his name after seeing this thread/post.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Postby 6Tricia » October 19th, 2021, 12:44 am

Doesn't sound like there are many tennis fans here ;). Norrie has had an outstanding year, winning more matches so far in 2021 than Djokovic!

He showed great resilience in Indian Wells to come back from a set down and a break in the second set to win the ATP Masters.

The fact that he was born in South Africa, of Welsh and Scottish parents, is neither here nor there.

Tricia

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » October 19th, 2021, 10:17 am

Surely anyone with a passing knowledge of UK tennis would have heard of 'Dai' Norrie - he after all had been No 2 behind Evans for a little time. Clearly he has managed to take his game to another level.

Of course he is Welsh. Known as Cameron the Tennis in Merthyr.

Taffy 7

Bubblesofearth
Lemon Quarter

Postby Bubblesofearth » October 19th, 2021, 4:51 pm

6Tricia wrote:Doesn't sound like there are many tennis fans here ;). Norrie has had an outstanding year, winning more matches so far in 2021 than Djokovic!

He showed great resilience in Indian Wells to come back from a set down and a break in the second set to win the ATP Masters.

The fact that he was born in South Africa, of Welsh and Scottish parents, is neither here nor there.

Tricia

Agreed. The whole idea of trying to determine what someones Nationality is by location of birth, parents, movements etc is ludicrous when you think about how multinational most of us are. Questioning Nationality seems to be something done by people (esp the media, politicians) with a particular agenda or by those looking to stir things up.

As far as I'm concerned, and as a fellow tennis player and fan, British tennis is in a great place just now. We've had one of the best years for a long time and hopefully it will give momentum to the next gen. Even though I follow tournaments on Amazon Prime I don't think I would have been looking forward to the Paris masters or Transylvania open a year ago. I am now!

BoE

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”