Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6, for Donating to support the site

Mason Greenwood charges dropped

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Mason Greenwood charges dropped

Postby Gerry557 » February 2nd, 2023, 4:20 pm

Not sure what to make of this news.

He seems a great footballer but terrible person. As a Man U fan, its likely he will be free to rejoin training and playing. So good news possibly. On the other hand....... has / will he become a nice person in this time.

I thought he was bang to rights and unsure what his team mates would make of it all, would they want to play with him? Although what options can they instigate. Man U could cancel his contract but most likely some other team would jump at the chance to get him.

Hopefully the experience will do him well and maybe some better father figures.

As to the victim, not sure what to say.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mason Greenwood charges dropped

Postby SalvorHardin » February 2nd, 2023, 6:35 pm

As is the norm nowadays, he was deemed to be guilty of a sex offence simply because he was accused (and for many he was doubly guilty because he played for Manchester United).

The case fell apart in April 2022, but the CPS pressed on trying to make an example of him. From The Guardian:

"It can now be reported, however, that key witnesses withdrew cooperation from the police investigation in April 2022.

A court heard last October how a central plank in the inquiry had collapsed only four months after Greenwood was arrested.

It is understood that police and prosecutors initially decided to continue with the case because of the significant level of public interest, given Greenwood’s high profile and the seriousness of the allegations"

https://www.amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/feb/02/prosecutors-drop-alleged-case-against-mason-greenwood.

It's not just uncooperative witnesses. There have been credible rumours for some time that some of the evidence was faked / exaggerated. Also that it may have involved a sex game gone wrong.

As to his future, up in the air. Innocent until proven guilty should apply, but lots of people prefer the modern day Salem Witch Trial by social.media. Fan website polls indicate something like 65% want him back, 35% want him gone.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » February 3rd, 2023, 6:17 am

I note the club has said, The club will now conduct its own process before determining next steps.

I would love to believe that he was innocent. The link won't open for me so I will try and Google later.

Yes I can understand supporter's of a different persuasion wanting him to be found guilty.

I wonder how long before we see him back on the pitch or maybe he will be off following sancho's mind and body rebuild.

Whatever the real truth, it's still a sad situation

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 3rd, 2023, 7:19 am

"Credible rumours" . Hmmmmm. Rumours are credible when you want to believe them.
Seems the case was dropped because key witnesses dropped out.

I don't know the truth. I suspect this isn't the last we've heard of this.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 3rd, 2023, 8:05 am

Apparently Greenwood is only 21 and it is said he is paid £75,000 per week. No doubt he thinks he can take on the world and do what he likes. He will now never be the squeaky clean fellow that say Marcus Rashford seems to be and I think that Man U would be wise to move him on, not because he is guilty but just because of the association. I doubt that they will though, as it would cost them so much. I do know the length of his contract though.

Dod

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » February 3rd, 2023, 9:13 am

Leothebear wrote:"Credible rumours" . Hmmmmm. Rumours are credible when you want to believe them.

I don't know the truth. I suspect this isn't the last we've heard of this.[

I would love to believe that he was innocent. The link won't open for me so I will try and Google later.

Club enquiry won't be based on 'beyond reasonable doubt', and won't be restricted to criminal acts.

This probably won't help:

Police officers were accused of deliberately ignoring breaches of bail by Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood while he was under criminal investigation, it can now be revealed.

The 21-year-old was arrested last January and faced criminal charges of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour, and assault in October 2022.

At his first court appearance, it was revealed Greenwood had breached a condition of his bail not to contact the alleged victim in the case.

Details can now be revealed after the Crown Prosecution Service announced that all charges against the Premier League footballer have been dropped.

“He was arrested on Saturday morning for breaching his police conditional bail”, prosecutor Rebecca Macaulay-Addison told the magistrates court hearing in October.

“He was found in the company of the complainant.”

Greenwood’s lawyer, David Toal, admitted the breach had taken place, saying: “I absolutely concede it is his responsibility to abide by all bail conditions imposed.”

He told the court: “Contact has occurred for many months.”

But Mr Toal added that it was “no secret” to Greater Manchester Police, putting forward a robust argument that Greenwood believed the breaches had been tacitly approved.

District Judge Mark Hadfield expressed “real concern” at the news, saying: “What I am being told is the defendant flagrantly breached the conditions over weeks or even months and police haven’t done anything about it.”

He insisted: “If they suspected breaches of bail, the police should be doing something about it but haven’t – why not?

“What’s the point of someone being on bail conditions if the police don’t enforce them?”

- https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/manc ... 57577.html

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » February 3rd, 2023, 10:52 am

Leothebear wrote:"Credible rumours" . Hmmmmm. Rumours are credible when you want to believe them.

I don't know the truth. I suspect this isn't the last we've heard of this.

Well, it was rumoured back in April 2022 that his girlfriend was refusing to co-operate with the police, that there was some doubt as to the veracity of some of the evidence and that the case had collapsed, but the CPS wanted to press on regardless. Funnily enough that's what The Guardian reported yesterday.

But as he's a Manchester United player it's no surprise that the ABU Nation is metaphorically foaming at the mouth, arguing that he must be guilty because lots of people on Twitter say so. Meanwhile another Premier League player who was accused of rape is out on bail and still playing for his club. Oddly enough the level of outrage by comparison is minimal. Again from The Guardian, from October 2022:

"The Premier League footballer under investigation for two alleged rape offences has had his bail further extended by the Metropolitan police."

"The player, who is not being named for legal reasons, continued to play in his club’s first team last season and has also been a regular in the side in 2022-23. The club confirmed in July that it would select him until further notice and that he would not be suspended."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/oct/03/premier-league-footballer-arrested-over-alleged-rapes-has-bail-extended

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 3rd, 2023, 12:05 pm

"But as he's a Manchester United player it's no surprise that the ABU Nation is metaphorically foaming at the mouth, arguing that he must be guilty because lots of people on Twitter say so. Meanwhile another Premier League player who was accused of rape is out on bail and still playing for his club. Oddly enough the level of outrage by comparison is minimal. Again from The Guardian, from October 2022:

"The Premier League footballer under investigation for two alleged rape offences has had his bail further extended by the Metropolitan police."

"The player, who is not being named for legal reasons, continued to play in his club’s first team last season and has also been a regular in the side in 2022-23. The club confirmed in July that it would select him until further notice and that he would not be suspended."
"

I'm not sure why this person has remained unnamed while Greenwood wasn't. However that does go a way to explaining why it has a far lower profile.
As I said, I don't know the truth. Nor do you.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”