Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Roy Hodgson

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Roy Hodgson

Postby Leothebear » February 4th, 2024, 1:41 pm

Time to retire old boy. You've lost it. Even your loyal fans have had enough. Palace were dire yesterday. Hopeless. Nobody in defence who can head a ball nor in attack for that matter. Palace have gone 23 games without scoring from a corner. Yet concede loads from them. For some reason he's playing Henderson (our £20 million goalie - big waste of money) who is not in the same class as Sam Johnstone, who for some reason Roy doesn't like. .

He stated that the fans expected a win yesterday, no we didn't Roy, we expected them to have a go. Palace fans do not expect that much but effort is one thing they do expect.

He shoulders no responsibilty and sticks to the same tactics endlessly. He refuses to try young players and often blames them if they are picked because of injuries to his regulars.

He's 76, made a fortune and has never really won anything. Yet people feel sorry for him. I don't.
Do the decent thing and resign.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Roy Hodgson

Postby Lootman » February 4th, 2024, 1:49 pm

Leothebear wrote:He's 76, made a fortune and has never really won anything. Yet people feel sorry for him. I don't. Do the decent thing and resign.

Presumably he gets a big payoff if he is fired but not if he quits.

At some point it is his boss who is the problem.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » February 4th, 2024, 2:31 pm

Football managers must be one of the few professions where you get a big pay off for being fired.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 4th, 2024, 3:42 pm

Tedx wrote:Football managers must be one of the few professions where you get a big pay off for being fired.

CEOs do alright too!

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » February 4th, 2024, 7:05 pm

Tedx wrote:Football managers must be one of the few professions where you get a big pay off for being fired.

You think that employers and employees shouldn't be bound by the terms of their employment contracts?

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 4th, 2024, 8:28 pm

dealtn wrote:

You think that employers and employees shouldn't be bound by the terms of their employment contracts?

IMO if either have shown incompetence or neglect then it should a clause.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » February 5th, 2024, 8:22 am

Leothebear wrote:
dealtn wrote:

Not sure I understand.

However. Incompetence and neglect are both very subjective and I suspect very difficult to define in a contractual sense and be reasons for dismissal.

I have yet to see a football managers contract with a clause allowing for dismissal if in a certain league position, let alone one as high as 14th. Where do you think Crystal Palace's natural position in the football pyramid is?

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » February 5th, 2024, 9:20 am

dealtn wrote:
Leothebear wrote:

Not sure I understand.

However. Incompetence and neglect are both very subjective and I suspect very difficult to define in a contractual sense and be reasons for dismissal.

I have yet to see a football managers contract with a clause allowing for dismissal if in a certain league position, let alone one as high as 14th. Where do you think Crystal Palace's natural position in the football pyramid is?

Given their finances and their level of support - maybe 16th.

T7

Yes I know they sell out virtually every home match.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » February 5th, 2024, 12:06 pm

dealtn wrote:Where do you think Crystal Palace's natural position in the football pyramid is?

Well, in the ten complete seasons since their last promotion they have always finished between 10th and 15th, which seems a reasonable indicator of their modern day potential. In that time they have had seven managers (excluding "caretakers") so the performance is remarkably consistent, given so many different approaches. Funnily enough, the best and worst seasons were under the same manager (Alan Pardew).

To be fair to Leo, it must be tough. As footie fans, we need our team to have good times and bad times so that we can celebrate successes and have a good moan about their failures. Palace are so utterly boring in terms of long-term performance that he only has very minor fluctuations to get exercised about. I seem to remember he thought Patrick Vieira was the best thing since sliced bread - until he wasn't...

Perhaps what Leo needs is Palace to get relegated. Then he could get excited about the prospects of a promotion race while reminiscing about the glory days when they were an "established" Premier League team.

Got to admit, life has been far more interesting over the years as a Pompey fan! (When Sol went up to lift the FA Cup, I was there, I was there :))

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 5th, 2024, 4:18 pm

Like most Palace supporters, I am under no illusions about the limited potential of the club. We're never going to win the league but a good cup run and maybe a Euro spot are not unfeasible. We compare ourselves to B&HA, Bournemouth, Fulham and even Brentford in our ambitions for the club.
Added to that the odd stellar performance when we beat a top 6 team. That's about it.

RH was drafted in avoid relegation after PV's departure. He managed that. Now the team's performance and the standard of the football is far worse than under PV. Palace are dire to watch unless the two rather delicate players Olise and Eze are both in the team. Without them the side doesn't function. It was the same when the side depended on a much more robust Wilf Zaha.

There are promising youngsters available. Yet he'll only bring them on with 15 minutes to go when we're 2 or 3 down. Then he'll criticise them afterwards as not being ready. Roy's basic tactic is play for a 0-0 and maybe get lucky with a breakaway. He's known for his safety first approach yet the team cannot defend corners nor can they score from them.

I could go on....

He makes Southgate's football look exciting.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » February 5th, 2024, 7:18 pm

Leothebear wrote:Like most Palace supporters, I am under no illusions about the limited potential of the club. We're never going to win the league but a good cup run and maybe a Euro spot are not unfeasible. We compare ourselves to B&HA, Bournemouth, Fulham and even Brentford in our ambitions for the club.
Added to that the odd stellar performance when we beat a top 6 team. That's about it.

RH was drafted in avoid relegation after PV's departure. He managed that. Now the team's performance and the standard of the football is far worse than under PV. Palace are dire to watch unless the two rather delicate players Olise and Eze are both in the team. Without them the side doesn't function. It was the same when the side depended on a much more robust Wilf Zaha.

There are promising youngsters available. Yet he'll only bring them on with 15 minutes to go when we're 2 or 3 down. Then he'll criticise them afterwards as not being ready. Roy's basic tactic is play for a 0-0 and maybe get lucky with a breakaway. He's known for his safety first approach yet the team cannot defend corners nor can they score from them.

I could go on....

He makes Southgate's football look exciting.

I hope that's made you feel better!

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » February 15th, 2024, 5:18 pm

Hodgson admitted to hospital today. Hope he's OK.

--kiloran

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » February 16th, 2024, 11:08 am

I wish him well. I suspect though, had he retired, instead of taking on another season at SP, he wouldn't be in hospital now. He'd be playing 4 rounds of golf a week somewhere warm and sunny. I can imagine his wife telling him just that!

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”