Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

cricket - england lose

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

cricket - england lose

Postby jackdaww » August 30th, 2017, 9:15 am

west indies well deserve their victory against the odds.

a few questions --

why so many dropped catches - on both sides - at headingly ?

why are the england selectors taking so long to sort out the top order batting ?

why did england selectors bring back woakes before he was ready - roland-jones may have saved us .

are anderson and broad now a spent force ? will australia finish them off? are ther any up and coming quicks?

:?:

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Re: cricket - england lose

Postby Maroochydore » August 30th, 2017, 11:17 am

My theory - with the advent of 20 over and 50 over games players no longer have the mental capacity to stay focused and concentrate for 5 days at a stretch.

why are the england selectors taking so long to sort out the top order batting ?
Because we just don't have true Test players anymore (apart from Cook). Again the one day game has encroached and the mindset is now just to go for it rather than digging in. I call in evidence the fact that on the scorecard they now start to show strike rate, which is totally irrelevant to the 3 or 5 day game

why did england selectors bring back woakes before he was ready - roland-jones may have saved us .
Can't answer that. Agree with you though. Perhaps they want to check him out before the Ashes tour squad is announced.

are anderson and broad now a spent force ? will australia finish them off? are ther any up and coming quicks?
I think Jimmy Anderson is still the number one fast/swing bowler in the world. I think Stuart Broad is deffo past his peak, hope I'm wrong because he'll certainly be in the squad for Oz.
Up and coming; well certainly Jamie Overton has a good shout and Tymal Mills has an outside shot, particularly for one day matches. Both are very fast but perhaps a bit raw at the moment.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Postby GrandOiseau » August 30th, 2017, 12:56 pm

jackdaww wrote:west indies well deserve their victory against the odds.

a few questions --

:?:

Regarding the catches I think it was just one of those games. I don't see any logic behind it/

I don't the selectors have a problem with the order just who to feel the slots around the now guaranteed players Cook, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, Ali, Anderson and Broad. I think Stoneman will fill the No 2 slot now.

Don't know about Woakes. It's a fair question.

Anderson and Broad. Not quite. They will certainly be OK for the Ashes. And yes we will miss them.

It's ironic that as Eng lose to WI, Aus managed to lose against Bangladesh. The Ashes is very open.

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Postby PinkDalek » August 30th, 2017, 8:52 pm

Maroochydore wrote:I think Jimmy Anderson is still the number one fast/swing bowler in the world.

Agreed. 5 wickets in the first innings seems to have been forgotten already. Hardly a spent force, despite not bowling as well in the second.

... Tymal Mills has an outside shot, particularly for one day matches. Both are very fast but perhaps a bit raw at the moment.

Unfortunately for Mills, Sussex and England, his back condition is such that he's only played in T20 this season, assuming cricinfo is correct (which I've no reason to doubt):

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/con ... 59257.html

His last List A match being back in April 2015.

todthedog
Lemon Slice

Postby todthedog » September 1st, 2017, 9:51 am

I think a degree of arrogance that backfired.
Playing a unfit Woakes completely nonsensical.
Not following the Aussies rule of if you have your foot on someone's throat don't ease up the pressure.
Sporting declarations are for when the series is already won.
Catching badly, it just happens occasionally.
Having a coach that never watches potential young players. A big problem.

Will we learn?
Take Ballance as an example
Dropped for having technical problems worked out by test bowlers
Told to go away and sort.
Reselected.

Reselected.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”