Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh, for Donating to support the site

Mobile route-planning and offline GPS tracking

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Mobile route-planning and offline GPS tracking

Postby Itsallaguess » September 3rd, 2017, 6:21 pm

Just wanted to start a thread on mobile/electronic route-planning for use for walking/running/cycling etc., just to see how others might be carrying out this process.

I've been having a dig around today and have come up with a good process using Strava (http://tinyurl.com/pafj8gy) to plan the routes, which is a benefit to me because it means I can do that in the comfort of my own home on my main PC, with larger screen etc., and then exporting the resultant GPX file onto my Android phone, where I've now installed OsmAnd(http://tinyurl.com/p22bs4o), which uses the free OpenStreetMap data for offline navigation, and it all seems to work remarkably well.

I followed the bulk of the instructions on this helpful blog to get everything working together, but avoided the use of DropBox to sync the GPX files, choosing instead to manually move them on an ad-hoc basis into the local Android folder when required -

https://jeroenmols.com/blog/2016/07/21/cyclinggps/

Does anyone else use a similar system, or does anyone know of any flaws with the above process?

The OpenStreetMap data is surprisingly detailed for even walking-path-level detail, so this is something I'm going to get a great deal of use out of.

I know there are similar processes that can be used with Google Maps, but I find the off-line functionality a bit flakey, and creating the routes themselves seemed to be much more difficult than the Strava process, which was a joy to use.

I had to make use out of the 'manual' switch in Strava a few times, during the route-planning process, when it wanted to keep me to the more-used paths local to where I was really wanting to go, but the manual switch managed to do everything I needed it to when it was required, and the Strava auto-process is really clever for the rest of the time, so I'm over the moon with Strava after struggling for a while with the Google Maps methods of GPX file creation.

One of the other benefits of the above process is that it can also be used freely for any non-UK routes I might need to plan, so that was also a consideration when I was investigating the free options available.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Mobile route-planning and offline GPS tracking

Postby swill453 » September 3rd, 2017, 7:04 pm

I use Viewranger (available for Android or iPhone/iPad), and have done for many years. This is mainly for hillwalking. It can use many different types of map, including Ordnance Survey (at a cost) or Openstreetmap, or (my favourite) Opencyclemap. Contrary to its name, it incorporates many walking paths in the hills, I've been very satisfied with its accuracy across the UK, in Spain, Canaries, Greece, France etc. It also has a free downloadable satellite map.

One can design routes on the maps on the website version, then sync it to a mobile device. Or design it directly on the mobile. Or import GPX routes. Or use other contributed routes, many of them free. Basically a myriad ways of planning your route.

It tracks you, and you can sync tracks back to the website to view at home.

I really can't see beyond this, it does everything I need.

Scott.

madhatter
Lemon Slice

Postby madhatter » September 3rd, 2017, 9:20 pm

I have got used to using the OS Explorer series 1: 25,000 maps over many years as they not only show public footpaths but even the field boundaries and actual pylons making it easier to see where you are, and even which corner of a field the path enters and leaves, and which side of a hedge it runs.

Having bought a cheap Android phone at the end of last year, I was impressed at how well it shows my location, even being fairly close in dense woodland. Google maps is not bad, but doesn't show rights of way or much in the way of footpaths. While the satellite view can help, it is less useful when there are trees along a hedge.

My approach was the admittedly rather cheapskate one of using Bing maps on a computer which allows me to see the area in OS map form. When zoomed in sufficiently using the plus arrows, the map changes from the 1: 50,000 Landranger series to the 1: 25,000 Explorer. I then go to full screen and do a screenshot. Unfortunately the area I end up with is quite small, so I then pan to adjacent areas and do them too, usually in several rows, then use photo manipulation software to accurately stitch them together.

After saving the larger area created I was able to use the Android app Custom Maps to tie it down to features like crossroads on Google maps and Custom maps then allowed me to see my position on the custom map, which could be my stitched together OS type map or even a home made map, or suitably marked up OS map.

I then swapped the inexpensive Android phone for a iPhone. Custom Maps app not available for that but there are a few others that can do a similar job and it works fine on that as well.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » September 7th, 2017, 2:57 pm

I use Garmin products for both running (620) and cycling (Edge 520).

The Garmin Connect site is good for planning routes for either - very similar to Strava.

The 620 watch doesn't allow you to follow a course you've created, whereas the Edge is great for navigating a cycle route. So when I'm running somewhere new I export the route to the Edge, and use it on wrist strap. This is a useful work around.
The highest spec watch in the Garmin range, Fenix, allows you to export routes to it to follow.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”