Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Referee's timekeeping

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Referee's timekeeping

Postby Clitheroekid » September 25th, 2017, 12:00 am

Not sure if this is the right board, as it's a sort of DAK. I was watching - from the edge of my seat - the Leicester Liverpool game yesterday, and I was incandescent when Leicester scored their first goal at 47 minutes 38 seconds.

This was 38 seconds after the injury time had expired. If the referee had done his job properly the goal wouldn't have been scored.

I would even have thought there's an argument that a goal scored outside the allocated injury time should just be disqualified.

Also, the players can see the time on the electronic display, and it's bound to have at least some effect on them if they think the game's within seconds of finishing.

I've seen this happen a lot, though not usually with such drastic consequences. So why are referees apparently unable to abide by the rules of the game and stop it immediately the allotted time has expired?

I suspect that on many occasions it's because they are caught up in the drama of the game, and want to see whether a promising move - in this case a corner - will actually result in a goal. Whilst this may be understandable - and even lead to a better game for the neutral spectator - it's not fair on the team that suffers as a result.

Perhaps the FA should replace the referee with an automatic timekeeper that signals the end of the injury time by some sort of audible or visual signal - an amplified whistle would do perfectly well.

As it turned out it didn't make much difference on this occasion, but there are games where an additional goal scored after the play should have stopped could have massive consequences for either or both teams, and it seems wrong that this should be allowed to happen.

(Mind you, I doubt I'd have posted this had it been Liverpool who had scored!) ;)

Bigfoot111

Re: Referee's timekeeping

Postby Bigfoot111 » September 25th, 2017, 9:25 am

The number of extra minutes announced is always a minimum. So if it was 2 minutes announced you would expect, if no further stoppages occur, between 2 and 3 minutes injury time.

Regarding the stadium clock, at Old Trafford once it reaches 0:00 ie the 45 minutes are up and the amount of injury time is announced, it stays at 0:00 so the players aren't aware of how much injury time is actually left. I had assumed this was the case at every ground but maybe it is just a throwback to "Fergie time". :D

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 25th, 2017, 9:26 am

Totally agree that timekeeping should be taken away from the referee, who has enough to do just keeping up with the game.

I'm in favour of goal line technology too, and can't see why the FA have been so reluctant to endorse it.

Watis

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » September 25th, 2017, 9:27 am

The added time shown is a minimum not a maximum. The ref can add on extra for any timekeeping/substitutes during added time.

And the refs won't (or at least usually won't) blow up if there is a possibility of a goal being scored. This was introduced a few years ago after a referee blew up while a shot was about to go over the goal line.

Plus referees are human and make mistakes. I didn't see the match but clearly the ref erred by not sending all the Liverpool players off.

DM

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 29th, 2017, 4:13 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:The added time shown is a minimum not a maximum. The ref can add on extra for any timekeeping/substitutes during added time.

And the refs won't (or at least usually won't) blow up if there is a possibility of a goal being scored. This was introduced a few years ago after a referee blew up while a shot was about to go over the goal line.

Plus referees are human and make mistakes. I didn't see the match but clearly the ref erred by not sending all the Liverpool players off.

DM

Some referees are also Man United supporters...

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » September 29th, 2017, 6:52 am

Well I saw the match and very enjoyable it was too as a neutral... well, other than having Mo Salah in my FF team! I can't believe a Liverpool fan would be moaning about something like this; whatever next... bears defecating in woods? :)

The goal came from a corner which was proceeded by a Leicester free kick. So play had been stopped and the ball out of play in the run up to the goal both of which would stop the refs watch. What you should really be whingeing about is the clear foul by eventual goalscorer Okazaki on Mignolet as the corner was taken that prevented him getting to the ball, or more importantly, the fact that Klopp seemingly has no idea how to coach a defensive unit and persists with stupid zonal marking at set pieces.

All the best, Si

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » September 29th, 2017, 10:26 am

Clitheroekid wrote:
Also, the players can see the time on the electronic display, and it's bound to have at least some effect on them if they think the game's within seconds of finishing.

Whilst I uunderstand the point being made - these people are very highgly paid professionals. its their job to play fully for the entire duration of a game which is not over until the referee blows full time. I have little sympathy, if any, for a player that turns off before full time. And I say the same about rugby ("my" sport of choice). I'd also really extend it to grassroots players TBH

Didds (17 years a rugby coach and 42 years involvement as player & coach)

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » September 29th, 2017, 10:59 am

didds wrote:I have little sympathy, if any, for a player that turns off before full time.

You clearly haven't seen Liverpool's defence this season then? They seem to switch off from the very start of every game so not sure being near full-time has any effect on them whatsoever. Actually, I can believe they probably spend the entire match looking at the clock because they seem to spend so little time looking at the attackers they're supposed to be marking :)!

All the best, Si

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 29th, 2017, 2:37 pm

simoan wrote:The goal came from a corner which was proceeded by a Leicester free kick. So play had been stopped and the ball out of play in the run up to the goal both of which would stop the refs watch. What you should really be whingeing about is the clear foul by eventual goalscorer Okazaki on Mignolet as the corner was taken that prevented him getting to the ball, or more importantly, the fact that Klopp seemingly has no idea how to coach a defensive unit and persists with stupid zonal marking at set pieces.

All the best, Si

The goal came from a corner which was proceeded by Vardy diving to win a free kick he had no right to from a referee who happens to live 6 miles away from Liverpool's bitterest rivals, and was given despite the fact that Okizake clearly fouled Mingolet as the free kick was swung in...

The clock isn't stopped for the ball going out of play, nor should it be (Law 7). If it were you'd be looking at around 45 minutes added on time, as on average the ball spends only around 60 minutes live during a Prem game.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » September 29th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Watis wrote:Totally agree that timekeeping should be taken away from the referee, who has enough to do just keeping up with the game.

I'm in favour of goal line technology too, and can't see why the FA have been so reluctant to endorse it.

Goal line technology is already being used. Started last season, I think. Of course more technology could be introduced, most obviously the idea of officials watching video re-runs before making a decision like in American Football, or decision reviews protocols like in Test Cricket. But there's another idea that such interruptions disturb the flow of play too much (which doesn't matter for NFL or cricket, but does for football).

I don't agree that timekeeping should be taken out of the ref's hands though. For instance, players on the winning side often time waste. A ref can give a yellow card for that, of course, but they should also be allowed to add back in the wasted time itself.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » September 29th, 2017, 3:15 pm

Lootman wrote:
Watis wrote:Totally agree that timekeeping should be taken away from the referee, who has enough to do just keeping up with the game.

Goal line technology is already being used. Started last season, I think. Of course more technology could be introduced, most obviously the idea of officials watching video re-runs before making a decision like in American Football, or decision reviews protocols like in Test Cricket. But there's another idea that such interruptions disturb the flow of play too much (which doesn't matter for NFL or cricket, but does for football).

I don't agree that timekeeping should be taken out of the ref's hands though. For instance, players on the winning side often time waste. A ref can give a yellow card for that, of course, but they should also be allowed to add back in the wasted time itself.

Glad to hear that goal line technology has finally arrived! But it took that disallowed goal against Germany a few years ago to change minds.

Rugby seems happy to tolerate interruptions to review video and/or consult the fourth official so I don't see why football would be any different. But I do agree that these interruptions should be kept to a minimum.

I'm happy for the ref to penalise timewasting, but the calculation of time to be added on should be in the hands of a timekeeper. As should the blowing of the final whistle. For the last few minutes of every game, the referee spends as much time looking at his wrist as watching the play.

Watis

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » September 29th, 2017, 10:23 pm

BobbyD wrote:
The goal came from a corner which was proceeded by Vardy diving to win a free kick he had no right to from a referee who happens to live 6 miles away from Liverpool's bitterest rivals, and was given despite the fact that Okizake clearly fouled Mingolet as the free kick was swung in...

Haha!! Not the old "ref's a Man U" supporter line. That always cracks me up. And as for diving, no LIverpool player ever does that, do they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GKXAKQY-0Y

All the best, Si

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » September 30th, 2017, 1:14 am

simoan wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

Haha!! Not the old "ref's a Man U" supporter line. That always cracks me up. And as for diving, no LIverpool player ever does that, do they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GKXAKQY-0Y

All the best, Si

The difference being that Anthony Taylor actually is a Man United Supporter. Difficult to believe I know seeing as he was actually born in Manchester.

UncleBulgaria

Postby UncleBulgaria » September 30th, 2017, 9:31 am

dionaeamuscipula wrote:The added time shown is a minimum not a maximum. The ref can add on extra for any timekeeping/substitutes during added time.

DM

I agree with DM - the ref's aren't robots that are only there to apply the letter of the law regardless of the greater enjoyment of the game.

It makes far more sense for them to let a thrilling, edge of the seat moment run its course where reasonable and give the fans something to get excited about one way or another - your incandescence is another fans euphoria but either way it gets you engaged, passionate and glued to the game, even if it is just to see revenge extracted.

I know a lot of the PL referees and they know that blatant bias is going to cost them their jobs, plus they are very professional workers and I wouldn't believe they would put a long and distinguished career at the top of their game at risk for a bit of favouritism. I suspect you are just seeing the situation through glasses tinted with sour grapes.

At the end of the day it is only a game and the refs are held to account for their actions so try to enjoy the sour with the sweet and save your anger for the things that really matter in life (like the reduction of the number of Jaffa cakes in a pack!!!).

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » September 30th, 2017, 9:37 am

BobbyD wrote:
The clock isn't stopped for the ball going out of play, nor should it be (Law 7). If it were you'd be looking at around 45 minutes added on time, as on average the ball spends only around 60 minutes live during a Prem game.

Which begs the question - why don't refs blow for time when the ball is out of play...

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » October 4th, 2017, 5:17 am

elkay wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

Which begs the question - why don't refs blow for time when the ball is out of play...

...he beat three men and scored with literally the last kick of the game. Happens all the time.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”