Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

I wonder ...

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

I wonder ...

Postby Leothebear » February 7th, 2018, 9:22 pm

...if this board will ever get going ... anyone else bored to a slow excruciating death with the fantasy [expletive deleted] football league?

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: I wonder ...

Postby PinkDalek » February 7th, 2018, 9:35 pm

Best to start a topic you wish to discuss, rather than criticise one you don’t. ;)

Trouble is, as an example, the Six Nations gets more of a mention at Beerpig’s than on here.

On that front, none of the short highlights that I saw, having watched all 3 matches in full, showed Jonny Gray’s storming run early in the first half. If that had resulted in a try, how would the match have progressed ...

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » February 8th, 2018, 9:25 am

Leothebear wrote:...if this board will ever get going ... anyone else bored to a slow excruciating death with the fantasy wombling football league?

Chances are high. Why not just scroll on past and leave us to our little corner of the internet? It keeps the few of us involved amused. To be clear, I'm talking about that single solitary thread, not the sports bar in total.

Nice to see the 6 nations back, must be heading towards spring. Some of the games though, I wish they'd not spend half of it recycling the ball, passing it to someone, who runs 5 yards, gets tackled, they recycle the ball, pass to someone, they run 5 yards, crash, recycle, pass, crash, recycle, pass...I mean, I'm thankful the kicking ping-pong that used to happen for a while has disappeared but...

Anyone watch the Superbowl at the weekend? I've found the key, record it, avoid the score the next day, then forward wind through the pauses (and Justin Timberlake). Though I get the feeling they've speeded up the actual drives, so the long breaks are "just" when the teams swap over. I do like the BBC presenting team, the three usual ones seem to have a genuine jokey rapport, it's rather entertaining.

Looking forward to the Winter Olympics.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 8th, 2018, 11:31 am

FWIW I'd suggest a seperate forum for the hat-trick season stuff.

I know I have missed stuff/come to stuff late (rugby and cricket mainly) because I gloss over the sports bar cos what I see in the front TLF page is "hat trick season 57" or whatever showing as the last post in TSB.
I don;t dive in and check cos traffic is so light the majority of times there won;t be anythig else

That's just a personal thing I appreciate.

didds

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » February 8th, 2018, 1:13 pm

didds wrote:FWIW I'd suggest a seperate forum for the hat-trick season stuff.

The trouble is, by default, it effectively already does have its own forum. Since the last hat-trick thread started on 19th December, it has had 39 posts in 42 days - all the other posts on this forum add up to 28. I don't think, with that rate of posting, we could make much of a case for separating the two.

While I share other people's minor irritation at usually visiting here to just have to clear the notification of another hat-trick post, I think the onus is on the rest of us to create enough traffic for that not to be the case. Over the time period above, we have had the successful ODI series with the Aussies; a different Brit (here since he was 3 years old qualifies for me) getting to the Australian Tennis Open semi-finals; the first use of VAR (Video Assistant Referee) in the FA Cup; Tiger Woods making another (more promising) comeback; the NFL playoffs (and Superbowl); the Masters Snooker and many other events that could have been the subject of discussion.

I'm sure there are plenty of sports fans here so hopefully it is just a case of getting a little momentum going. I've been totally guilty of passively waiting for something to happen so I for one will undertake to post the next time something I think may be of interest springs to mind.

(P.S. I do think that if Scotland had scored early it may have been different - and the interception for Wales first try must have made it feel almost like a 14 point swing. But still hard to make a case that Scotland would have got anything out of the game...)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » February 8th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Given Scotland failed to score at all for 79 minutes, I think its unlikely that the early interception swung the course of the game.

Beware the wounded Picts and Scots!

(Do Picts exist any longer?)

didds

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Postby UncleIan » February 8th, 2018, 3:17 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:The trouble is, by default, it effectively already does have its own forum. Since the last hat-trick thread started on 19th December, it has had 39 posts in 42 days - all the other posts on this forum add up to 28. I don't think, with that rate of posting, we could make much of a case for separating the two.

Think yourself lucky, we're restricting it to one thread a season, back on the fool we had our own board and started a new thread every week!

CryptoPlankton wrote:While I share other people's minor irritation at usually visiting here to just have to clear the notification of another hat-trick post

You get a notification on board posts? That would be useful, I usually just look at the first page or two of unread content and see if there's anything that piques my interest.

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » February 8th, 2018, 3:51 pm

UncleIan wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:While I share other people's minor irritation at usually visiting here to just have to clear the notification of another hat-trick post

You get a notification on board posts? That would be useful, I usually just look at the first page or two of unread content and see if there's anything that piques my interest.

To try to mimic the old "favourite boards" at TMF, I have a "My Lemon Fool" on my bookmarks bar - every time I click it I get all my favourite forums up on the page showing who posted last and when. If there is a post I haven't read on a forum, the circle on the left is red, if not then it is blue. It's a while since I set it up and I forget the details (to do with subscribing to forums), but it was fairly straightforward and I think I got it from this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=105

I don't actually get a notification if there is a post on a thread, but I think it is possible to set that up. I prefer to check my favourite forums when they indicate there is something new on them. Hence my many visits here to see hat-trick posts - I can guess by the author, but still like to get my favourites up to date by "marking posts read".

There are so many ways of navigating this place, I expect we all encounter slightly different pros and cons.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”