Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Tesco points and hotels.com

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Tesco points and hotels.com

Postby Clitheroekid » February 13th, 2018, 4:04 pm

This is potentially useful for anyone who collects Tesco Clubcard points (which I do). You can now exchange them at an `exchange rate' of 3 to 1 for vouchers to use on the hotels.com website.

I've just tried it and it works. I have to go to Bristol at the weekend, so I'd booked a night in a hotel there, coincidentally through hotels.com. When I got the Tesco email I kicked myself, but then remembered there was a free cancellation policy.

I therefore cancelled, exchanged £25 worth of Tesco vouchers for £75 worth of hotels.com vouchers and rebooked at a net cost of £13.35! Added to the value of the vouchers the total room price was still only £38.35, as against a normal price of around £90, so a jolly good deal! :D

More details here - https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/boost ... 009591.prd

Alaric
Lemon Half

Re: Tesco points and hotels.com

Postby Alaric » February 13th, 2018, 4:28 pm

Clitheroekid wrote:This is potentially useful for anyone who collects Tesco Clubcard points (which I do). You can now exchange them at an `exchange rate' of 3 to 1 for vouchers to use on the hotels.com website.

There's a trap you have to watch out for. Don't exchange Clubcard vouchers for hotels.com vouchers for any more than 5/6th of the cost. If your hotel stay is quoted at £ 120, remember that £ 20 of that is VAT and the hotels.com vouchers aren't able to be used to pay VAT. So the maximum in Tesco vouchers is £ 33.33 worth (at a 3 to 1 conversion).

Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tesco points and hotels.com

Postby Clitheroekid » February 13th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Alaric wrote:There's a trap you have to watch out for. Don't exchange Clubcard vouchers for hotels.com vouchers for any more than 5/6th of the cost. If your hotel stay is quoted at £ 120, remember that £ 20 of that is VAT and the hotels.com vouchers aren't able to be used to pay VAT. So the maximum in Tesco vouchers is £ 33.33 worth (at a 3 to 1 conversion).

Yes, that's a fair point, though even taking that into account it's still a jolly good deal - particularly for me, as I usually forget to spend the vouchers anyway so that they go out of date!

Return to “Around the UK”