Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

A few days away

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
Dod101
The full Lemon

A few days away

Postby Dod101 » May 6th, 2022, 5:15 pm

I am beginning to understand how the Venetians must feel. Time was when I could take it into my head to go off for a few days to North West Scotland and be assured of finding accommodation at say a couple of weeks' notice. Nowadays it is impossible as far as I can see. There is but the odd night in almost any spot I choose up the west coast of Scotland and the place must be overrun with tourists because in addition to hotels and guesthouses there are a lot of self catering places as well. The North Coast 500 route has a lot to answer for.

I would find it easier to take a trip to say Perth WA than arrange a trip to the north west of Scotland within the next couple of months, and if it is crowded in May/June, what will it be like in July/August? No doubt it is good for the local economy but........

Frustration is getting the better of me.

Dod

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Re: A few days away

Postby scotview » May 6th, 2022, 5:57 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am beginning to understand how the Venetians must feel. Time was when I could take it into my head to go off for a few days to North West Scotland and be assured of finding accommodation at say a couple of weeks' notice.

In a couple of weeks we are going to the Oban area to visit Iona/Tobermory and walk the Crinan Canal. Accommodation is due to an invitation to join friends in a timeshare, otherwise finding a place would have been difficult.

In July we are walking the Fife Coastal Path but that was booked at the beginning of the year and even then the better accommodation was gone.

Scotview.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » May 6th, 2022, 6:56 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am beginning to understand how the Venetians must feel. Time was when I could take it into my head to go off for a few days to North West Scotland and be assured of finding accommodation at say a couple of weeks' notice. Nowadays it is impossible as far as I can see. There is but the odd night in almost any spot I choose up the west coast of Scotland and the place must be overrun with tourists because in addition to hotels and guesthouses there are a lot of self catering places as well. The North Coast 500 route has a lot to answer for.

I would find it easier to take a trip to say Perth WA than arrange a trip to the north west of Scotland within the next couple of months, and if it is crowded in May/June, what will it be like in July/August? No doubt it is good for the local economy but........

Frustration is getting the better of me.

Dod

Options

1. Perth Western Australia
  2. A tent
  3. Not Siberia - it will be flooded at the moment with one or two dissenting Russians
  4. Boat trips across the Black Sea organised by local Turkish people. Apparently the odds of seeing a Russian ship are very low :lol:
AiY(D)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 6th, 2022, 7:03 pm

scotview wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I am beginning to understand how the Venetians must feel. Time was when I could take it into my head to go off for a few days to North West Scotland and be assured of finding accommodation at say a couple of weeks' notice.

In a couple of weeks we are going to the Oban area to visit Iona/Tobermory and walk the Crinan Canal. Accommodation is due to an invitation to join friends in a timeshare, otherwise finding a place would have been difficult.

In July we are walking the Fife Coastal Path but that was booked at the beginning of the year and even then the better accommodation was gone.

Scotview.

I have no problem with the Fife Coastal Path because my daughter and husband have a holiday house in Elie which I can use from time to time. But the north west is almost impossible.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » May 6th, 2022, 8:28 pm

Camper van...

V8

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 6th, 2022, 9:16 pm

88V8 wrote:Camper van...

V8

Yes. I can see the attraction but I also see the drawbacks having driven behind these things more often than I would want. Besides, they contribute (or at least the inhabitants contribute) very little to the local economy. I regard them as mobile traffic problems.

Dod

CliffEdge
Lemon Quarter

Postby CliffEdge » May 6th, 2022, 11:50 pm

No shortage of money around is there?

Return to “Around the UK”