Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Heathrow>west London, taxi. Any recommendations?

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Heathrow>west London, taxi. Any recommendations?

Postby DiamondEcho » July 15th, 2018, 3:08 pm

In 2 weeks we're permanently relocating to London after just over 10 years away - woohoo! :lol: Our household goods are being shipped, but on the day [as usual on a relocation] we'll be taking small valuables with us on the flight. Usually between HRW and west London I'd take a train, and walk the last 1/2-mile home from the station. But after my last trip 3 weeks ago when I witnessed a moped-mugger attack, and given we'll be decked with luggage/important stuff/valuables I'm not going to take risks. 'Besides, after 10 years away we deserve it'.

My comparison is the HRW Express. £22 one way * 2 pax = £44.
From prior experience some years ago I know a black cab is likely around £80 or similar, and there is no need for that.

This company came up on Tripadvisor as well rated: https://www.british-airport-transfers.co.uk
From HRW-T2. Quote @ £44 for 2 people, 2* check-in bags + 2*hand-carry bags. That's all-inclusive [they say], no add-ons.
Met at the arrival hall > front door of my home, for the same PX as the HRW Express; unexpected! Sounds like a no-brainer.

I'd be interested if anyone has views on the above offering. Or alts they consider worth my checking into before I go ahead with booking.

ps. I'll x-post to the London Lover's board in case any of the denizens therein wish to comment.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Re: Heathrow>west London, taxi. Any recommendations?

Postby MaraMan » July 17th, 2018, 5:24 pm

I have not use the company you mention but I have used https://www.drivenuk.com/ for several years for airport transfers and other journeys. I have found them to be completely reliable, good value and provide a great service. All their prices are fully inclusive.
MM

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » July 17th, 2018, 6:26 pm

Thanks for that, I got an auto-quote and given the specs of their service that does look a good offering! As it happens last night I went through booking with the company I mentioned. Just because with a full household relocation I have to get jobs ticked off, and move onto the '1001 other tasks'.
Thx though, we usually travel quite a bit, so will certainly be re-checking that company in future.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 27th, 2018, 1:15 pm

Just spotted this. I would concur with MMan. The pre-bookable taxis, booked through the internet of by telephone, would be your best bet.

Whilst I haven't used one for many years, my family once took an ordinary black cab from Heathrow to Isleworth, and the taxi driver spent the whole time moaning and "huffing and puffing" about it being a short journey, and was banging "extras" on to the meter for extra people and extra bags (more than one).

Whereas I have used the pre-bookable Heathrow taxi transfers, both London based ones and from my local town. They all worked fairly seamlessly, possibly apart from the fact that they weren't always at Heathrow by the time we had cleared passport control and collected our bags. They seemed to anticipate a longer delay than was the case. One should be able to overcome that by giving an earlier pickup/collection of baggage time (I used to allow 45 minutes from anticipated landing time, - perhaps 30 would overcome their built-in delays.)

Return to “Around the UK”