Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Japanese Garden, Cowden Castle Estate

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Japanese Garden, Cowden Castle Estate

Postby scotia » September 7th, 2018, 11:17 pm

We visited the Japanese Garden on the Cowden Castle Estate, near Dollar in Fife, today. The garden was created by the much travelled Ella Christie (1861- 1949), after her visit to Japan in 1907. She employed Taki Handi from the Royal School of Garden Design in Nagoya, and later was advised by Professor Suzuki, Master of the Soami School of Imperial Design, who considered the garden to be the best Japanese garden in the Western world. Sadly it suffered from vandalism in the 1960s, but in 2014 a fundraising campaign by a trust resulted in the beginning of its restoration. This restoration has reached its half-way stage, and the garden is now open to the public. We were very impressed at the work that has been done, and we will continue to visit it throughout the seasons.
The guide tells an interesting tale about Ella Christie. While waiting at the railway station in Dollar, another traveller asked her - are you going to Edinburgh? The response was - I'm going to Samarkand.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Re: Japanese Garden, Cowden Castle Estate

Postby Dod101 » September 7th, 2018, 11:22 pm

That is a very interesting post, considering that I live about 20 miles away and have never heard of this garden. I will make a point of getting there next week thank you.

Dod

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Japanese Garden, Cowden Castle Estate

Postby scotia » September 8th, 2018, 1:54 am

Dod101 wrote:That is a very interesting post, considering that I live about 20 miles away and have never heard of this garden. I will make a point of getting there next week thank you.

Dod

Open Wednesdays to Sundays, 11am to 5pm until Sunday 28th October.

Return to “Around the UK”