Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Cardiff

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
MrCake
Lemon Pip

Cardiff

Postby MrCake » October 2nd, 2018, 10:02 pm

I'm attending an event at St David's Hall in central Cardiff in April. Travelling by train with just one small travel bag. Can anyone recommend good accommodation walkable (say up to 1 mile) for Cardiff Central train station and St David's Hall? Any type of accommodation will do, and any budget, as long as it's clean and comfortable and not too noisy.

Also, any recommendations for what to see/do there as I will probably stay a couple of nights?

Diolch yn fawr.

Mr C

cavebat
2 Lemon pips

Re: Cardiff

Postby cavebat » October 4th, 2018, 1:03 am

Assuming the event you're going to isn't something like the Rolling Stones/Ed Sheeran when rooms are at an absolute premium anywhere in Cardiff then I would suggest: https://www.sleeperz.com/cardiff

This is right next to the station, but soundproofing is good. Have stayed here twice, last time when we saw the Rolling Stones earlier this year. Cardiff Castle is worth a look around, about a ten minute walk away. Was going to recommend the Dr Who Exhibition but I think this has now closed.

cavebat

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » October 4th, 2018, 7:51 am

I stay either at Jury's Inn n in Park Place or the Premier Inn in Churchill Way. Not the usual style of Premier Inn - Google for pictures. Both are slap bang in the centre of the City so plenty to do and places to eat. Of course prices will rocket if your trip coincides with a major event with international rugby events being the most expensive. At the moment I visit Cardiff around twice a month and use the Travelodge in Cardiff Bay for convenience next to the Red Dragon Centre but at over a £100 a night, including breakfast, is not good value for money for below standard stays so will be reverting to the two previously mentioned for my next few trips.

MrCake
Lemon Pip

Postby MrCake » October 4th, 2018, 10:06 pm

Thank you both. I will have a look at all those options.

Cheers
Mr C

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » October 5th, 2018, 12:48 pm

MrCake wrote:I'm attending an event at St David's Hall in central Cardiff in April. Travelling by train with just one small travel bag. Can anyone recommend good accommodation walkable (say up to 1 mile) for Cardiff Central train station and St David's Hall? Any type of accommodation will do, and any budget, as long as it's clean and comfortable and not too noisy.

Also, any recommendations for what to see/do there as I will probably stay a couple of nights?

Diolch yn fawr.

Mr C

Cardiff is short of hotel rooms and bargains are hard to find. Our business visitors mainly stay in the Novotel, Radisson Blu or Marriott which are all in or near the centre. £80 - £100 a night plus.

The castle has a Norman keep, and an interesting military museum, but the highlight is the Victorian rooms (extra charge and guided tours only) which are from the time when the Bute family were among the richest in the world. Don't miss the animal wall just outside. The Cardiff Story museum is very interactive, does what it says (free, IIRC). The National Museum has a surprisingly good impressionist collection, amongst lots of other good stuff (free). The Victorian shopping arcades are nice just to walk through and have a selection of independent shops. The Millennium sorry Principality stadium does guided tours. Always good to do the hop-on-hop-off bus tour (stop outside the castle) if you have limited time in a strange city. All these are in the centre.

There are buses, trains or water taxi (On the river in the lovely big park next to the castle) down to the bay (journey is about a mile or so from the centre) where there is a walk around, water based activities, various marquee buildings (Millennium Centre, Pierhead, Norwegian Church, Senedd) a slightly odd memorial to a dead character from Torchwood, some statuary, and a variety of pubs and restaurants. The Dr Who exhibition is gone.

Slightly further afield in St Fagan's there is the Museum of Welsh History, an outdoor museum with various historic buildings re-erected there (free but pay for parking, no idea about public transport). Or even further in Blaenavon which is about 45 minutes by car, there is Big Pit, a former working deep mine which is now a mining museum.

There are plenty of other ideas at www.visitcardiff.com, including a couple of suggested itineraries.

There is a rapidly expanding bike hire service https://www.nextbike.co.uk/en/cardiff/

DM

MrCake
Lemon Pip

Postby MrCake » October 6th, 2018, 1:18 pm

Thanks Dionaeamuscipula. Very useful advice.

I won't go out to St Fagans though, although I too would recommend it. I went there as a kid when I was in school in Swansea many moons ago, and also went with my family a few years ago. Its a great day out for kids and adults.

youfoolishboy
2 Lemon pips

Postby youfoolishboy » October 9th, 2018, 1:52 pm

I am off to Cardiff in a few weeks to watch the rugby we always stay at Austins Guesthouse very handy 10 mins slow walk from station literally across the river from the town centre. Very cheap basic accommodation. We normally have breakfast and beers in one of the Witherspoons pubs there is one practically beside the railway station
https://hotelcardiff.com/rooms/

Return to “Around the UK”