Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Great South West...

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
tony9i9i9i

The Great South West...

Postby tony9i9i9i » November 9th, 2016, 11:47 am

It's the bottom left bit on the map, motorways and airports stop at Exeter, the train line carries on but sometimes falls into the sea. The least we can do is give it a thread.

T9i.

tony9i9i9i

Re: The Great South West...

Postby tony9i9i9i » November 9th, 2016, 1:20 pm

Just as well have a proper post I suppose.

I've you are down this way and you missed the Bridgwater Carnival or just want more carnival, you're in luck the North Petherton Carnival is this Saturday night.

http://www.northpethertoncarnival.org.uk/

T9i

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 9th, 2016, 1:56 pm

Bit optimistic to say the train line carries on beyond Exeter. It's a different beast.

London to Exeter, two hundred miles in two hours. Exeter to Plymouth, forty miles taking another hour. The difference between the developed-world infrastructure of southeast England and the neglected dirt-track of the southwest. Even after our railway was washed out to sea (as I anticipated a year earlier when they played consultation[1]), they're brushing off or kicking into the long grass any suggestion of re-opening the inland line from Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton and Tavistock.

[1] https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/railway-consultation/

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2016, 3:29 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:Bit optimistic to say the train line carries on beyond Exeter. It's a different beast.

London to Exeter, two hundred miles in two hours. Exeter to Plymouth, forty miles taking another hour. The difference between the developed-world infrastructure of southeast England and the neglected dirt-track of the southwest. Even after our railway was washed out to sea (as I anticipated a year earlier when they played consultation[1]), they're brushing off or kicking into the long grass any suggestion of re-opening the inland line from Exeter to Plymouth via Okehampton and Tavistock.

[1] https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/railway-consultation/

There's only one train a day that does it in 2 hours flat. The rest take varying amounts longer. But yes, it's a good route as long as you don't mind the old "slam" doors that involve you dangling out of the window to get out.

The floods also affect just north of Exeter now and then, where the river bursts its banks at the Tarka line junction

The old SR line beyond the Okehampton viaduct cannot be restored as I believe there has been subsequent construction along its right of way. It's a nice idea but I can't see how it can happen

will89
2 Lemon pips

Postby will89 » November 9th, 2016, 3:34 pm

tony9i9i9i wrote:Just as well have a proper post I suppose.

I've you are down this way and you missed the Bridgwater Carnival or just want more carnival, you're in luck the North Petherton Carnival is this Saturday night.

http://www.northpethertoncarnival.org.uk/

T9i

I live just outside North Petherton, the carnival is a great thing to come and see each year! We'll be heading down with some friends. Someone make a Somerset-based investment club please!!!

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 9th, 2016, 3:42 pm

It's a good service down to Exeter - I get on at Reading. The trains are excellent, the 'old' HSTs are much better for long distances - more space, more toilets , buffets. The more modern 'replacements' may have wiFi and suchlike, but they overcrowd easily and are terribly cramped.
I'm always delighted when an HST pulls in - I get them on the Cotswolds route to Kidderminster occasionally and they are great compared with the too-small Cross Country efforts on the Oxford<>Brum route

tony9i9i9i

Postby tony9i9i9i » November 9th, 2016, 4:22 pm

I live just outside North Petherton, the carnival is a great thing to come and see each year! We'll be heading down with some friends. Someone make a Somerset-based investment club please!!!

I shall be watching from the vicinity of the Compass.

T9i.

will89
2 Lemon pips

Postby will89 » November 9th, 2016, 4:27 pm

tony9i9i9i wrote:
I shall be watching from the vicinity of the Compass.
T9i.

I work the other side of the roundabout, just in past the motorway services, small world!
Have fun!

tony9i9i9i

Postby tony9i9i9i » November 9th, 2016, 4:43 pm

I work the other side of the roundabout, just in past the motorway services, small world!
Have fun!

I often cycle down there, over the foot bridge near the Argos depot (with the 1 foot drop on the far side!) and down the footpath where the horse size dogs bark at you, tis indeed.
And you.

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 9th, 2016, 4:51 pm

Lootman wrote:The old SR line beyond the Okehampton viaduct cannot be restored as I believe there has been subsequent construction along its right of way. It's a nice idea but I can't see how it can happen

The construction is at the site of the old Tavistock station. Indeed, both Tavistock stations: once upon a time it had two lines! The proposals involved in the consultation I referenced above already involved a new station, at the edge of town off the Callington road. It wouldn't take much for that then to rejoin the old line to Okehampton - with the proviso that it's now a cyclepath north of Lydford.

AleisterCrowley wrote:It's a good service down to Exeter - I get on at Reading. The trains are excellent, the 'old' HSTs are much better for long distances - more space, more toilets , buffets. The more modern 'replacements' may have wiFi and suchlike, but they overcrowd easily and are terribly cramped.

Those trains sometimes get overcrowded. The modern ones, as opposed to older trains on the line, ALWAYS have totally inadequate luggage space. Another tale: https://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/gwr/

And they don't even serve a cuppa tea in those buffets any more. Ask for one and you'll get a cup of hot water and a teabag! Where's the GoF board when you need it?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2016, 5:02 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:The construction is at the site of the old Tavistock station. Indeed, both Tavistock stations: once upon a time it had two lines! The proposals involved in the consultation I referenced above already involved a new station, at the edge of town off the Callington road. It wouldn't take much for that then to rejoin the old line to Okehampton - with the proviso that it's now a cyclepath north of Lydford.

OK, that's interesting, maybe it's feasible, at least if the cyclists don't kick up too much :-(

But isn't the Meldon Viaduct not considered safe for the kinds of loads envisaged? I'd assume the plan involves demolishing and rebuilding it. But isn't it a protected monument?

UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Postby UncleEbenezer » November 9th, 2016, 6:15 pm

Lootman wrote:OK, that's interesting, maybe it's feasible, at least if the cyclists don't kick up too much :-(

But isn't the Meldon Viaduct not considered safe for the kinds of loads envisaged? I'd assume the plan involves demolishing and rebuilding it. But isn't it a protected monument?

Speaking as a cyclist who has occasionally pootled out that way - though only ever recreationally - I hope it should be possible to reach some kind of accommodation.

The Meldon Viaduct would indeed (as I understand it) need some very substantial work to reinstate the old double tracks - though a drop in the ocean compared to HS2. However, a single-track line down the middle of it could give us a functioning secondary line for a whole lot less maintenance work than that Dawlish stretch. Not a fast train, but a lot faster than waiting for months while they rebuild a track that's been washed out to sea.

Bear in mind, there is a functioning branch line Exeter-Okehampton and Plymouth-Bere Alston, and the stretch extending Bere Alston-Tavistock has been planned for some time. That only leaves Tavistock-Okehampton.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 9th, 2016, 6:29 pm

UncleEbenezer wrote:The Meldon Viaduct would indeed (as I understand it) need some very substantial work to reinstate the old double tracks - though a drop in the ocean compared to HS2. However, a single-track line down the middle of it could give us a functioning secondary line for a whole lot less maintenance work than that Dawlish stretch. Not a fast train, but a lot faster than waiting for months while they rebuild a track that's been washed out to sea.

Bear in mind, there is a functioning branch line Exeter-Okehampton and Plymouth-Bere Alston, and the stretch extending Bere Alston-Tavistock has been planned for some time. That only leaves Tavistock-Okehampton.

Yes, I've taken the (Sunday-only) train from Exeter to Okehampton a couple of times, and the path as far as Lydford Gorge (love the church there too).

I was aware of plans for the track south of Tavistock but not of any plans north of there. I hope it happens.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » November 9th, 2016, 8:12 pm

This is another board to favourite :) .
I'm much further west in West Cornwall , dour tin mining country , birthplace of Richard Trevithick , whose high pressure steam engine exploits were legendary .
Though only living here for 35 years , am interested in any Cornish nostalgia / history !

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 9th, 2016, 10:06 pm

poundcoin wrote:This is another board to favourite :) .
I...birthplace of Richard Trevithick , whose high pressure steam engine exploits were legendary .
...!

Several of his steam engines were built in my home town in Shropshire, including the 'Catch Me Who Can' which took paying passengers (round a circular track in Bloomsbury)
The SVR are building a replica, which I'll inspect next time I'm home.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » November 10th, 2016, 1:19 am

Looks very similar (not unsurprisingly ! ) to Trevithicks, "Puffing Devil" , first run on Xmas Eve 1801 ,said to be the first ever road-going self powered vehicle .
A reproduction can be seen here .
http://www.photofilecornwall.co.uk/corn ... -devil.htm

Be interested to hear when the DVR project is working .

OwenSwansea
2 Lemon pips

Postby OwenSwansea » November 10th, 2016, 9:59 am

It is my ambition to travel to Cornwall on the Poldark Express, and stay at the Warleggen Arms in Truro.

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » November 10th, 2016, 10:18 am

Be interested to hear when the DVR project is working

ermmm I meant SVR . ooops

poundcoin
Lemon Slice

Postby poundcoin » November 10th, 2016, 10:25 am

OwenSwansea wrote:It is my ambition to travel to Cornwall on the Poldark Express, and stay at the Warleggen Arms in Truro.

Mmmm , good luck with that , might have a bit of a search . In the first series the Truro scenes were shot in Corsham Wilts !
I haven't watched any of the 2nd series (yet) but believe Truro scenes were filmed in Charlestown near St Austell .

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Postby AleisterCrowley » November 10th, 2016, 4:27 pm

poundcoin wrote:Looks very similar (not unsurprisingly ! ) to Trevithicks, "Puffing Devil" , first run on Xmas Eve 1801 ,said to be the first ever road-going self powered vehicle .
Be interested to hear when the DVR project is working .

More details , no idea when It'll be running

http://www.catchmewhocan.org.uk/home.html

Return to “Around the UK”